[BA] 17 Days of Autumn - Kyoto/Toyama/Tokyo

Baracus

Mar 24, 2008
The Far East
It's been a while since my last landscape thread. Off to Japan for the 4th time around, and I've yet to get out of Tokyo. :sweat:
Series from Japan - Spring 2009

This was a very sudden trip for me as I bought my tickets/accommodation 2 weeks prior to the trip. Basically, I had no set plans, besides meeting with a fellow photographer/backpacker in Kyoto for 5 days. This trip was performed from 18 Oct - 4 Nov 2012.

Shot with Pentax K10D + Sigma 10-20/f4-5.6 + SMC M50/f1.7, with Lumix LX3 as backup.

Day 1-4
Kyoto

IMGP7744-Edit.jpg

1) Set out the day early hiking Fushimi Inari. They weren't kidding about the thousand tori (gate) part.

IMGP7749-Edit-2.jpg

2) A sample of the ema found at one of the many shrines.​

Last edited:
IMGP7793-Edit.jpg

3) If one looks behind the tori, the names of sponsors (individual/families/companies) can be found inscribed.

IMGP7854-Edit-2.jpg

4) Saw a number of cats wandering around the grounds, from the town below, to way up the hilltop​

IMGP7900-Edit.jpg

5) Bought tickets for Sagano Scenic Railway at this small Train & Piano Museum.

IMGP7901-Edit.jpg

6) Model trains for kids (and kids at heart) to toy with.​

IMGP7933-Edit.jpg

7) There wasn't much to do at Kameoka, the end of the line. You either took a horse cart ride around the fields or went further up for a sampan ride back to Saga-Arashiyama.
The folks here were harvesting seaweed of sorts or doing a spot of river rafting.

IMGP7965-Edit.jpg

8) The boat trip was about 3000(+) yen. I opted for the 170 yen JR train. :bsmilie:​

IMGP8016-Edit.jpg

9) The Sagano Scenic Train pulls away from the station

IMGP8020-Edit.jpg

10) Suburb Japan in a nutshell. Railway, low-rise buildings, paddy fields and mountains.​

IMGP8028-Edit.jpg

11) Dropped off a station later since valley view caught my attention. Valley pics didn't out that well due to harsh midday sun. :(

IMGP8107-Edit.jpg

12) Saga-Arashiyama Bamboo Forest was full of people due to some festival. Did some shooting from the hip instead of focusing on the grove.​

Very nice shots you have here. More please.

Thank you Daoyin. :)

P1050762-Edit.jpg

13) Hiked up Mt Kurama at the outskirts of Kyoto. Old and young alike made the tiring pilgrimage up the temple.

P1050765-Edit.jpg

14) The temple at the halfway point of the Mt. Didn't take anymore pictures after this since I was knackered.
This is what you get for trying to scale a mountain, when your sole means of daily exercise is the trip to the office cafeteria. :bsmilie:​

Day 5-6
Fukui

IMGP8142-Edit.jpg

15) Explored the sleepy town of Fukui. They were preparing to celebrate the anniversary of the town center (or something)

IMGP8161-Edit.jpg

16) Various modes of transport by the shopping arcade.​

IMGP8164-Edit.jpg

17) Commissioned graffiti mural in a corner of the shopping arcade.

IMGP8182-Edit.jpg

18) Change to local line for 1hr trip to Tojimbo Cliffs for sunset.​

IMGP8189_HDR-2.jpg

19) Had to walk a further 40 mins along the coast to the cliffs, while racing the fast approaching sunset. Didn't have time to deploy the tripod for this one.

IMGP8201-Edit.jpg

20) The sun had hidden behind the clouds once I got to the cliffs but the strong sea breeze made up for the long trek, even though it made traversing the rocks and setting up tripod a tricky affair.​