B+W filters: worth paying so much?

Is it worth it paying so much more for B+W filters over basic hoya ones?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Remember the time when you promised cheap Photoshop lessons only to raise the price ever again till we ignored you?

To Photobum,

I would also like to sincerely apologize that the above comment is irrelavent to the thread.

Furthermore, there maybe more reasons behind the circumstances as we may only be hearing from one side of the story.

To Snoweagle,

I hereby sincerely apologize to you regarding name calling. :embrass:

However, I still stand by the fact that Hoya filters offer better value compared to B+W filters. Performance-wise, I agree that Hoya filters may not necessarily better than B+W filters.

No hard feelings, all's well ends well.

Yes i agree that Hoya filters are better value for money but quality and built wise, B+W wins hands-down.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

happy ending

Vola... you'd have the answer. Don't really need to debate online. :bsmilie:

Online voting should not be the one to determine you investments, see with your own eyes and believe what you see. :)

aiya, just don't use filter la

air >>>>> b&w

FREE! :bsmilie: please guys, chill.. attack the ideas, not the person, and play nice while you're at it.. but it's good that everyone's chilling out already.

Thanks guys... for making me feel so happy to see that friendship are being formed here when we look at the big picture... we all love photography.

Keep this "positive arguments" going... I am a Jew in my past life... I love a good argument with a buddy once in a while... LOL.

Applaud you lads. :thumbsup:

I laid my hands on some Leica MC filters from my buddy yesterday. He just came back from Shanghai. All of which are either 39mm or 49mm in diameter.

Talking about built and quality. B+W filters cannot compare at all. Even the glass they use is of a different grade.:thumbsup:

But of course.. they are Leica.

Glass from Leica or Carl Zeiss are of another planet. Those are legends. Also cannot afford lah.

I bought my first B+W 58mm UV from M S Colr and it set me back $73. Most expensive investment to date for filters as I normally buy Hoya HMCs.

I am a bit wary of Hoya filters although I still use them. I had 2 experience with hoya, both involving the thin strip of metal that runs along the innner rim of the filter.

1) Bought a new hoya filter and when i opened the plastic casing for the first time, the metal wire popped out.

2) While removing my CPL from my lens, the wire popped out and my CPL came apart into 2 pieces... had to do field repair with gloves on standing in the middle of a bridge in Japan...:bsmilie:

No flaming pls.. just my experience

I laid my hands on some Leica MC filters from my buddy yesterday. He just came back from Shanghai. All of which are either 39mm or 49mm in diameter.

Talking about built and quality. B+W filters cannot compare at all. Even the glass they use is of a different grade.:thumbsup:

Yes i fully agree on that. Leica filters are amongst the best ever and so far i haven't seen one myself, though i've heard of them.

Well.... darn! My B+W coating just starting coming off in bits and pieces! This is unbelieveable. ;(

Well.... darn! My B+W coating just starting coming off in bits and pieces! This is unbelieveable. ;(

Any pics to show how it actually looks like? Darn! This is serious man.:sweat: I think you need to send a few pics to show B+W what their product(s) can be...:eek:
Cross fingers, hope that don't happens to mine too.:sweat:

Any pics to show how it actually looks like? Darn! This is serious man.:sweat: I think you need to send a few pics to show B+W what their product(s) can be...:eek:
Cross fingers, hope that don't happens to mine too.:sweat:

About 0.75mm "pixels" dropping off. Seems to have stopped. But the fact I paid so much and it drops off pisses me off to no end.

Usage-about 2mth max, conditions on dry land. Once near the sea and on the sea, but seawater quickly wiped off. Shouldn't have affected anything if B+W is a quality product.

About 0.75mm "pixels"

what do you mean? a dot? although B+W is relatively scratch proof, it is only relative. we got to be realistic here. it is just too bad our asian brands do not build as good a build as what that german brand provides. i really dun mind using a "hoya" IQ at that lower price point if it has the same scratch resistance though.

what do you mean? a dot? although B+W is relatively scratch proof, it is only relative. we got to be realistic here. it is just too bad our asian brands do not build as good a build as what that german brand provides. i really dun mind using a "hoya" IQ at that lower price point if it has the same scratch resistance though.

quite a few lah. One dot I will not make noise.

Told ya! I have been using Hoya Super HMC filters for about 10 years now. So far no flaking. Whereas with B+W MC filters, I have no such luck.

If you seriously want to invest in good filters, Leica and Heliopan filters are still the best among all the German brands.

PS: I am not going to start another flame war again. The abovementioned are based on my past and present experience with B+W and Hoya filters.

Glass from Leica or Carl Zeiss are of another planet. Those are legends. Also cannot afford lah.

If I'm not mistaken, Leica doesn't make their own glass, and Zeiss almost certainly relies on Schott to supply glass. They most likely source their optical glass from the same companies as everyone else.

Minolta used to make their own glass. I'm not sure if they/their successors are still doing it.

If I'm not mistaken, Leica doesn't make their own glass, and Zeiss almost certainly relies on Schott to supply glass. They most likely source their optical glass from the same companies as everyone else.

Minolta used to make their own glass. I'm not sure if they/their successors are still doing it.

If you are ever at Jalan Ahmad Ibrahim, just pop your head into the Leica factory and see what they are making there... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.