B+W filters: worth paying so much?

Is it worth it paying so much more for B+W filters over basic hoya ones?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems like there actually are some (15%) ppl who have voted a 'no' to this poll

pls tell us y; id really like to noe, cos before i knew there was such a brand as B+W i thought that hoya made the best filters in the world (i may not have been wrong)

its probably all the replies in the thread that favour B+W, Nikon, heliopan filters etc. that have scared those ppl away from posting - again;)

Its just like when I am young, I only know Swatch. I think that they are the best watches in the world vs Casio, etc.

Now, you know Rolex, Tags, etc..etc...

Its just like when I am young, I only know Swatch. I think that they are the best watches in the world vs Casio, etc.

Now, you know Rolex, Tags, etc..etc...

well its like that with cams too right?
nikon/canon and other brands keep releasing models that are much better than the previous 1s

Just an update in case many don't know.

Most of the B+W filters are now made by Hoya, and I'm talking about almost 80% of the B+W filter range than we see locally. So need not explain too much.

How to differentiate the original Germany B+W and the Hoya made ones? Simple. As long as your B+W filter does not have the wording 'Made in Germany' inscribed on the filter ring, it is made by Hoya. :)

it seems like there actually are some (15%) ppl who have voted a 'no' to this poll

pls tell us y; id really like to noe, cos before i knew there was such a brand as B+W i thought that hoya made the best filters in the world (i may not have been wrong)

its probably all the replies in the thread that favour B+W, Nikon, heliopan filters etc. that have scared those ppl away from posting - again;)

1. I use B+W on my most expensive lens.
2. However, as much as I agree that B+W is good, I have to say that the dramatic increase in price is NOT WORTH IT for the improvement. I.e. Increase in price is not proportional to increase in quality.
3. But I still use B+W UV for my expensive lens when shooting in conditions that demand it (eg. sea spray, rain blah blah). Not that Hoya won't do the job. I'm just willing to get the better filter to make my job easier.

Simple experiment:

Compare the best B+W Filter, MRC or whatever with a Nikon NC. Put both filter on white piece of paper and look thru. See the different color cast, light cut off, etc... see the different with your own eyes.

Next put both filters on a spread out newspaper or printed text paper. See who gives a sharper image.

Vola... you'd have the answer. Don't really need to debate online. :bsmilie:

Online voting should not be the one to determine you investments, see with your own eyes and believe what you see. :)

Currently it's B+W and nothing else, unless someone can find those Leica filters.

2. However, as much as I agree that B+W is good, I have to say that the dramatic increase in price is NOT WORTH IT for the improvement. I.e. Increase in price is not proportional to increase in quality.

Never more than agreed with you bro. The price are really ridiculous nowadays. Just think 3 yrs back (what I can recall back then). A 77mm MRC only cost around S$90 (inclusive GST). But, now cost around S$120 (I think - inclusive GST). About 25% increment in just a few short yrs.:confused::sweat:
Now, must buy 2nd hand already.:(

Simple experiment:

Compare the best B+W Filter, MRC or whatever with a Nikon NC. Put both filter on white piece of paper and look thru. See the different color cast, light cut off, etc... see the different with your own eyes.

Next put both filters on a spread out newspaper or printed text paper. See who gives a sharper image.

Vola... you'd have the answer. Don't really need to debate online. :bsmilie:

Online voting should not be the one to determine you investments, see with your own eyes and believe what you see. :)

Bro... straight to the point.... nice post! ;)

Never more than agreed with you bro. The price are really ridiculous nowadays. Just think 3 yrs back (what I can recall back then). A 77mm MRC only cost around S$90 (inclusive GST). But, now cost around S$120 (I think - inclusive GST). About 25% increment in just a few short yrs.:confused::sweat:
Now, must buy 2nd hand already.:(

Luckily i got most of my B+Ws before the price went up. Unfortunately i had to buy one recently since i got a new lens. You can get the 77mm MRC (F-Pro, "Made in Germany" original one) for S$110 including GST. Got it from Alan photo at Funan. They wanted S$125 for it but after some bargaining and quoting the pricelist here at CS, they gave me S$110 cash only. ;p

Luckily i got most of my B+Ws before the price went up. Unfortunately i had to buy one recently since i got a new lens. You can get the 77mm MRC (F-Pro, "Made in Germany" original one) for S$110 including GST. Got it from Alan photo at Funan. They wanted S$125 for it but after some bargaining and quoting the pricelist here at CS, they gave me S$110 cash only. ;p

still, thats almost 4x wat i was quoted for a hoya multi coated UV filter - around $30
im not too sure whether the quality is really 4x better. of course, id still like to try a few B+W filters:D

still, thats almost 4x wat i was quoted for a hoya multi coated UV filter - around $30
im not too sure whether the quality is really 4x better. of course, id still like to try a few B+W filters:D

Btw, what is the diameter(mm) of your filter? If you want to buy Hoya, look for the HMC type. Price will be even higher.:)

Mine is a different story. In fact, mine was the opposite of what most people had encountered here. I started out using B+W MC filters 15 years ago (they were not as expensive then compared to now, BUT, their prices were still very high for the average photographer). Anyway in less than 2 years after my purchase, the coating on two of my polarizing filters were beginning to flake badly. It started out as tiny crack lines and eventually the coating came off. That was one hell of a bad experience I had from such item, supposingly to be high-end.

After much hesitation, I changed all my filters to Hoya. Mind you, they don't have the Pro 1D or Super HMC series back then. It was just plain HMC. And boy, my Hoya polarizing filters lasted me 6 years before I finally got sick of cleaning the filters and decided to replace them with new ones. Yes, I must agree that Hoya filters are harder to clean compared to B+W. But if you don't mind changing new filters every two years, I don't see any reason why you should settle on something that cost 3 to 4 times the price BUT it does not give 3 to 4 times improvement.

Btw, what is the diameter(mm) of your filter? If you want to buy Hoya, look for the HMC type. Price will be even higher.:)

im not too sure, but i think there was some multi coating (so it could have been HMC). otherwise it must have been the normal UV filter. its 77mm BTW; i bought the 62mm for $20

Mine is a different story. In fact, mine was the opposite of what most people had encountered here. I started out using B+W MC filters 15 years ago (they were not as expensive then compared to now, BUT, their prices were still very high for the average photographer). Anyway in less than 2 year after my purchase, the coating on two of my polarizing filters were beginning to flake badly. It started out as tiny crack lines and eventually the coating came off. That was one hell of a bad experience I had from such item, supposingly to be high-end.

After much hesitation, I change all my filters to Hoya. Mind you, they don't have the Pro 1D or Super HMC series back then. It was just plan HMC. And boy, my Hoya polarizing filters lasted me 6 years before I finally got sick of cleaning the filters and decided to replace them with new ones. Yes, I must agree that Hoya filters are harder to clean compared to B+W. But if you don't mind changing new filters every two years, I don't see any reason why you should settle on something that cost 3 to 4 times the price BUT it does not give 3 to 4 times to improvement.

Is Hoya from Tokina bro?:)

I don't see any reason why you should settle on something that cost 3 to 4 times the price BUT it does not give 3 to 4 times to improvement.

Tell it to all the bros here who swear by their L, G and what not lenses and shun 3rd party like the plague. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Tell it to all the bros here who swear by their L, G and what not lenses and shun 3rd party like the plague. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

there are many 3rd pty lenses which have really no + points besides the price, and usually the focal length range too

however, there are also quite a number of 3rd pty lenses of which some are very similar to their nikon equivalents, except at half the price

im wondering if thats the case for hoya and B+W

im wondering if thats the case for hoya and B+W

Some of B+W filters are currently OEM by Hoya. Except for a different coating, I believe the glass is the same.

however, there are also quite a number of 3rd pty lenses of which some are very similar to their nikon equivalents, except at half the price

Tamron made some of the best third party Nikon lenses in the 80s and 90s. Yes, they are either on-par or better than Nikon's own lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.