B & W Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Vivien,

If you can afford to have time to set up your tripod , you can try the lower ISO films. If you are travelling or you are talking streets shots, you may not have time to set your tripod. that's when the high speed films comes into play.

For portraits, I usually use Ilford Pan-F or FP-4, they gives me better midtones. streets scenes, usually I'll use Ilford HP-5 or Delta 400. the former film is preferred as it gives better midtones. sometimes I'll use Ilford Delta 3200 also. use to love kodak TX-PAN but after an encounter with problem from the film emulsion I stop using them.

kodak TCN400 if u dont want too much fuss.

Ruby seems to be the cheapest for developing b/w negatives @ $5, if you don't want to do it yourself. Most other places charges more for developing only. Having them print contact sheet, for a few dollars is rather expensive. It will be better to do it yourself since printing b/w is a personal thing.

However, I've been told that printing b/w onto photo paper at Colour Lab (Adelphi) is less than $1 per 4R. Results weren't too bad.

hihi,
for developing and contact print, try plsoong? (he is a CS member, search for his thread about it yah?)

PS: Plsoong, free advert leh. Me go develop give discount ah!

:D

alyee said:
Ruby seems to be the cheapest for developing b/w negatives @ $5, if you don't want to do it yourself. Most other places charges more for developing only. Having them print contact sheet, for a few dollars is rather expensive. It will be better to do it yourself since printing b/w is a personal thing.

However, I've been told that printing b/w onto photo paper at Colour Lab (Adelphi) is less than $1 per 4R. Results weren't too bad.

When you say photo paper, are you referring to the normal colour paper or the better quality ones? I was told Grace at Sunset Way charges only 30 cents for printing b & w on colour paper.

what about konata? i heard konata does b&w developing too? anybody knows the charges?

vivientan said:
When you say photo paper, are you referring to the normal colour paper or the better quality ones? I was told Grace at Sunset Way charges only 30 cents for printing b & w on colour paper.

It appears to be those 4R gloss/matt paper that you get when you process normal colour prints with C41 film. You'll really have to try them to see if you like them.

vivientan said:
What B & W film is recommended for shooting landscape & portraits?

TIA :bsmilie:

also try to get a red filter for your landscape shots - will make your skies look beautiful!

printing-wise, you can get cheap digital b/w prints, but nothing beats the hand-prints on b/w paper. The fun is doing it yourself :)

soochie said:
also try to get a red filter for your landscape shots - will make your skies look beautiful!

printing-wise, you can get cheap digital b/w prints, but nothing beats the hand-prints on b/w paper. The fun is doing it yourself :)

Yeah, I know what u mean. The thrill of seeing the fruits of your labour come to life in the darkroom. Too bad, I have no access now. Really missed those school days where I skipped lunch to work it out in the darkroom :(

vivientan said:
Yeah, I know what u mean. The thrill of seeing the fruits of your labour come to life in the darkroom. Too bad, I have no access now. Really missed those school days where I skipped lunch to work it out in the darkroom :(

Well, either go join a club that has darkroom facility, or you can pay to use one.

vivientan said:
What B & W film is recommended for shooting landscape & portraits?

TIA :bsmilie:

My personal preferences for Landscapes:

Kodak Techpan:
Ilford Pan F plus
Ilford Delta 100 professional
Agfa APX-25 (no longer available).

Portraits:
Ilford delta 100 professional
Ilford delta 400 professional
Agfa APX-100
Kodak Tri-X

I'd not recommend you use either Ilford professional or Kodak Techpan unless you really know what you are doing as both are very unforgiving films and will crucify a photographer who makes an exposure error. Processing Techpan is a cow as getting a good result means exact temperature and time control, correct agitation leves and so on. While that really applies to all good B/W films for some reason techpan really punishes the person who slips up in any area while processing the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.