b&w film for wedding day shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jinn

hi

any recommendation for b&w films for shootings on the wedding day itself?

Originally posted by rochkoh
I've used both Tri-X and T400CN with excellent results. :)

i've tried T400CN and XP2. personally i prefer T400CN. but becos it's c-41 processed, i hv experienced some colour casts on the photos.

if i use Tri-X, am i able to hv it processed at the labs like RGB or Colourlab? is it more expensive than normal c-41 process? i've got no darkroom of my own.

thanks.

$6.50 at RGB

I think Ruby have some contacts for $3.50 each roll

but then again, shooting B/w film and have it processed outside kinda defeats 50% of the purpose.

anyway, just an additional note.... you'll need at least iso 400.

and b/w for wedding is a very personal choice... for the photographer and the couple... if you're not familiar with how the film respond, better stick to color film.

Originally posted by jinn

i've tried T400CN and XP2. personally i prefer T400CN. but becos it's c-41 processed, i hv experienced some colour casts on the photos.

if i use Tri-X, am i able to hv it processed at the labs like RGB or Colourlab? is it more expensive than normal c-41 process? i've got no darkroom of my own.

thanks.

The traditional films can be processed at Colour Lab. They hand process the film using the traditional film dev tank. Costs $5 for processing, and takes about a week. Better to learn to develop them yourself.

Regards
CK

thanks for the response guys. :)

so u guys actually develop traditional b&w films yourselves? how easy is it to set up a darkroom in one's flat?

you don't need a dark room to process the negativces...

I use my bathroom for it,
initial setup with the equipment and chemicals would cost around $100, which is good for abour 20 rolls or so.... after that, my own estimation for chemical cost is around $1 each roll.

rgs
rueyloon

Originally posted by rueyloon
you don't need a dark room to process the negativces...

I use my bathroom for it,
initial setup with the equipment and chemicals would cost around $100, which is good for abour 20 rolls or so.... after that, my own estimation for chemical cost is around $1 each roll.

rgs
rueyloon

Rueyloon, you forgot to mention the changing bag. Otherwise need a completely blacked out room to load the film into the tank! ;p

Regards
CK

Use Ilford Delta 400 (this is not a colour negative B/W film). Very nice grain.

I wonder why so many of you recommend jinn the colour processing negative B/W films. They look really awful when developed.

Jinn, you can use the true black and white films, process them as B/W film, then do the prints on color paper. Ruby Photo does a good job of that, very close to the real B/W photos. Of course nothing beats real prints using B/W papers.

Yes, B/W photos are very personal choice, and the photos are great. I did a wedding shoot using some B/W films and I love them. BTW, you should process them yourself or the photographer himself.

BTW, just get the tanks and chemicals and develop them at home. All you need is a pitch dark room and you are ready to go. The "dark" room is only used when you need to put the film in the tank. Once that's done, you can switch on the lights. Or you can buy a changing bag as someone had suggested. But if you are not experienced, get someone who are to do the job....or else you may regret if things go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.