B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh.. I didn't know that.. :)

Maybe I should tally my product codes to the website too. This is getting complicated.

Seriously, I really don't understand the rational of producing a cheaper aluminum version just for China. Can't they use the brass version too? :think:

I can't find the aluminum models on the website.
Maybe i miss out? :dunno:

yeah me too.At a glance both look very similiar.

I can't find the aluminum models on the website.
Maybe i miss out? :dunno:

I have checked mine, the product code is the same as the website. But the website doesn't seem to state aluminum versions?

I found this online. An interesting thread about different versions of B+W filters. Not sure if it has been posted before..
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=292807

I have checked mine, the product code is the same as the website. But the website doesn't seem to state aluminum versions?

I found this online. An interesting thread about different versions of B+W filters. Not sure if it has been posted before..
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=292807

The B+W website only state the brass models.

this thread is digressing to brass vs. aluminium again.

Actually MRC versions come in both aluminum and brass versions, where else, non-MRC ones are aluminum if I'm not wrong.

Am getting confusing.....

The Brass version has printing on the face of the filter while the aluminum version has the printing on the side. I believe there used to be a thread on it, it's exactly the same.

Found some images online. Hope it helps! :)

Brass Version
brassin.jpg

Aluminum Version
Alloyin.jpg

Oh.. I didn't know that.. :)

Maybe I should tally my product codes to the website too. This is getting complicated.

Seriously, I really don't understand the rational of producing a cheaper aluminum version just for China. Can't they use the brass version too? :think:

Confirm or not? Cause buying that filter ain't Cheap.

but why is there concern about brass or aluminium? is there significant difference? :dunno:

Which is stronger? Brass or Aluminium?
Being an alloy, brass is stronger and feels heavier/more solid. It is argued that brass will less likely "stick" to your lens but given that most rims today are made of plastics anyway, this argument is moot. The argument for aluminium is that being softer, it will take impacts better than the brass conterparts and hence gives better protection to your lens should you drop it.

Anyway the xs pro filters are one of the finest filters in the common market. If money is no objection, just get them.

Being an alloy, brass is stronger and feels heavier/more solid. It is argued that brass will less likely "stick" to your lens but given that most rims today are made of plastics anyway, this argument is moot. The argument for aluminium is that being softer, it will take impacts better than the brass conterparts and hence gives better protection to your lens should you drop it.

Anyway the xs pro filters are one of the finest filters in the common market. If money is no objection, just get them.

Just get what suits u, doesn't mean have to be the best.

Anyone tried the XS-Pro series?

Cheers,
Ben

I'm using the new XS-Pro filter for my Nikkor 20mm lens.

The front threads are really convenient for attaching your lens caps. This is a really serious factor in choosing the XS-Pro over the F-Pro or Slim types. The extra cost is really worth it. If you read the reviews of those using the SLIM B+W filters, they commonly complain about the filter caps coming out easily. On the other hand, if you are the type who prefers to use a lens hood and leave your lens exposed, then by all means get the cheaper SLIM/F-Pro filter.

BTW: for those newbies out there, it is better to get the thinnest filters for wide angled lenses so as to avoid vignetting issues.

So far, wide open at f/2.8, the XS-Pro filter does not contribute to any vignetting.

so do u get a len cap when buying the XS-pro filter or are u saying the original len cap from our len can be use on the XS-pro?
if F-pro then the original len cap cannot be use?

and i think of buying Canon 500D with 18-200mm len so which one filter should buy? XS-pro?

Hope someone can advice..thanks

so do u get a len cap when buying the XS-pro filter or are u saying the original len cap from our len can be use on the XS-pro?
if F-pro then the original len cap cannot be use?

and i think of buying Canon 500D with 18-200mm len so which one filter should buy? XS-pro?

Hope someone can advice..thanks

The XS-pro, although its slim, still has front threads for your lens cap. So yes you can still use the lens cap that came with your lens.

The XS-pro, although its slim, still has front threads for your lens cap. So yes you can still use the lens cap that came with your lens.

ic ...thanks for ur advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.