Avaliable to shoot for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, let's see.. on one hand he's spoiling the market, but on the other hand, he's gotta start from somewhere right?

Events
For paid assistants or backup, the main photographer won't use their photos, but just see or guage their potential. Sometimes, in the event the main has run out of battery or space, the assistant or backup will cover. But MOST of the time, the assistant or backup will do things like backup the images to the laptop, carry the gear and looking after the equipment. Not much for photo opportunities.

Studio/Location/Editorials/Commercials
NO chance to shoot at all.. The assistant will be following the direction of the lead to setup lighting, arrange props, buy coffee and so on..

Don't expect to follow pros on these shoots with the chance to shoot properly. More likely, if you're following them, do commit yourself to assisting them first, and shooting as a bonus. If you shoot and it somehow hinders the pro's shot, you're gonna get it.. so do be careful

There are some that do allow newbies to come and follow, but chances are, you're not gonna learn much and you might as well follow the clubsnappers on their regular outings! :) I do ask for no pay assistants from time to time, but depending on the shoot - low budget or test shots... but important enough events, better get paid or at least trusted/committed ones to do the job yah!

Hope this helps

melly said:
Well, let's see.. on one hand he's spoiling the market, but on the other hand, he's gotta start from somewhere right?
Don't expect to follow pros on these shoots with the chance to shoot properly. More likely, if you're following them, do commit yourself to assisting them first, and shooting as a bonus. If you shoot and it somehow hinders the pro's shot, you're gonna get it.. so do be careful

There are some that do allow newbies to come and follow, but chances are, you're not gonna learn much and you might as well follow the clubsnappers on their regular outings!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So join fellow CSers for outings, since you find yourself free. Best way to learn and explore, and to grow. There are some pretty good shooters who go for the outings too. And some are more than willing to share tips and ideas.

Join Azure's outings. They are more fun.

I have always regretted not going for his (can't lar, always have work commitments).

i think this is alright, he don't charge a fee because he feel he's not professional enough, or have enough experience to do event coverage. everybody have to start out somewhere, somehow. thus, what he is doing doesn't affect the photographers' market at all.

if you are professional enough, you should be scared that you have not enough time for the tons of projects piling up in the schedule of your PDA :D

willo said:
I think its alrite too. In fact, I want to to do the same as well and like him, I am not a pro.

Strictly speaking for myself, shooting for free offers a chance to learn (of cos, dun mind shooting with a pro as backup or as apprentice) and to accummulate a good experience and portfolio in the process.

Quite frankly, I dun feel that any pro should feel intimidated by newbie/amateur like me. Any right minded person would rather pay for quality when results are important. Since we are shooting for free, we can't be held liable, although a best effort will still be put in.

I agree with Willo's opinions!! :thumbsup:

i would also like to shoot for free. anytime, anywhere, anysubject.

i have no professional training, but i will do my best, and have no regrets.

send me a pm!

Same feeling here. It's a free market. And remember, no beginner can sustain shooting for free for long. If pros feel threatened by this, then they better find another market with higher barriers to entry or where they can differentiate their product better by providing a clearly superior product or service. Can regular airlines cry foul, or no fair when budget airlines come up and threaten their business?

yinkhoon said:
......Can regular airlines cry foul, or no fair when budget airlines come up and threaten their business?

that's y they can't operate the bus to senai airport..........

rueyloon said:
that's y they can't operate the bus to senai airport..........

:bsmilie:

I am out of touch, is it due to LTA's help or....

Personally, if a pro feels offended about it, then he/she is obviously not a pro at all. Since people who can afford to hire you are not worried about the price you charge.

zaren said:

:bsmilie: That's the best attitude.

Lets return this to first post -

The thread-starter wants to shoot for free to "kill time" and "have some fun". Certainly, outings will be one alternative to do both. And I do believe that in his/her starting post that there is no explicit intention to kill the market or pros. So a prospective win-win.

So, let's all go and enjoy shooting more rather than debate about this kind of thing.

zaren said:
i would also like to shoot for free. anytime, anywhere, anysubject.

send me a pm!

I love your attitude, maybe sometime we can shoot together.

i tink shooting for free is no good long term...maybe can do for kopi or something haha....best is go out shoot wif us...get a portfolio...get good...then charge a little to cover costs and expenses...lydat then market can survive...

if u interested in events photography...can always PM me...got lots of lobang..

my_anata_des said:
I love your attitude, maybe sometime we can shoot together.

I won't mind shoting for free if given a chance...

Spoilt market? people get married everyday, I've pretty sure there is enuf business to get around, we newbies just take the niche where our payment is experience.

If you pay peanuts, you might get monkeys.

If they are willing to risk the archiving of the event to save some costs, they should be prepare to accept the consequences of pictures turning out less than desirable.

If they get acceptable or even good quality from these "free"-lancers, good for them. They might eventually hire them to shoot next time.

If they get lousy quality, they have only themselves to blame.

Paid photography is a business, so you can't be asking people not to undercut you just because you are scare of losing business. If so, tell that to Nikon or Canon.

I do not see my_anata_des's offer to be "spoiling" market. In fact, it creates competition and that helps to raise our quality level. Moreover, as Yinkhoon said, "no beginner can sustain shooting for free for long", I will like to put it in another perspective. When you are good enough, often than not, you will want to obtain some form of rewards for your services, unless shooting for friends and family. Therefore, when they have acquire enough experience and skills to produce good quality pictures, they will want to start offering their services for a price.

it's commendable that he is not trying to charge while learning. i only find issues with people who lack the skills but have the audacity to charge you even as they learn from the experience.

it's an open market, people will pay if they want a pro, no one is going to pay a newbie. will you?

upz for his attempt and his eagerness to learn. he has to start somewhere.

Ask yourself this qns, how many people in Singapore are willing to spend a big sum of money in getting a good photogapher? How many of the couples can appreciate good photos when cost is an issue? I'm not stating the fact that S'porean couple can't appreciate good photos, but in general, people will try to save cost if they can (getting marry in SG means you need to spend alot of money), if someone offers them free service (most likely not pro), most likely they will accept it.

In long run, will Singaporean expects to pay less for engaging a wedding photographer? No doubt its a free market, but when they are too much supplies and there is no growth or demand getting lesser (nowsaday people prefer not to get married), what will be the result?

My 2 cents of input. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.