Auto distortion control setting in Nikon Capture NX2

bigpond

Feb 12, 2008
Hi, I have a question regarding how to set auto distortion correction when processing RAW in Nikon Capture NX2.

I shoot RAW + jpeg with D800 and process using Capture NX2. I notice that the D800 does a good job correcting for barrel distortion, etc, automatically when I view the jpeg files.

However, when I open up the RAW file using NX2, the distortion is uncorrected. CA is automatically corrected but not distortion. I checked the NX2 user manual but cannot find the required setting. Not sure what setting I missed out here becos others have said that NX2 will automatically correct the distortion.

Can some experienced users of NX2 point out exactly how I can apply the auto distortion correction setting so that I don't have to manually correct for distortion every time? For eg, I understand that DXO corrects for distortion automatically each time you open up a RAW file -- I expected NX2 to do the same.

Thank you very much.

It's under "Camera & Lens Corrections" / "Auto Distortion" setting in the right "Edit List" window. It is only available for NEF files.

Well, I am using Capture NX2 2.4.2.

I have just opened a few NEF files and confirmed that the "AUTO DISTORTION" is ticked and selected to "AUTOMATIC".

It doesn't work automatically with NEF files from the D700 or the files from my newer bodies when I have the "AUTOMATIC DISTORTION CONTROL" selected to OFF when I took the picture.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, bros!! As it turned out, the problem was that I was using NX2 version 2.3.4 on my Mac (which I thought was the latest). The Auto Distortion option appeared once I updated the software to 2.4.3. Problem solved - thank you!