Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Hmmm, this model is almost 3x more expensive as the Behringer one. Any cheaper models from Mackie which are good also to recommend? :embrass:

I priced the mackie the last time (4-5yrs ago) and it was around the $500 mark. How much is it today?

Like I said - you get what you pay for. With the mackie, you can get rid of it rather easily while you will have a very hard time selling the Behringer if you tire of it.

I priced the mackie the last time (4-5yrs ago) and it was around the $500 mark. How much is it today?

Like I said - you get what you pay for. With the mackie, you can get rid of it rather easily while you will have a very hard time selling the Behringer if you tire of it.

Well, just did a rough comparison using US retail prices... the Behringer can be bought for ~US$100 or so, while the mackie is going btw US$280-380... so quite a bit of difference in price

hehe ... i 2 months ago just bought this sound system and put it in my bedroom too. :D
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S990THX&p=i&class=Systems
i use it to watch dvd-movies mainly, now everyday stay at home watch dvd le ... and dun feel like go cinema watch movies liao, haha :lovegrin:

Ms XxxGer's system looks very good to me. It's also suitable for living room.

Well, just did a rough comparison using US retail prices... the Behringer can be bought for ~US$100 or so, while the mackie is going btw US$280-380... so quite a bit of difference in price
After reading all the comments, I feel that the Europower you chose is too high powered for your Tannoys, if you're not careful, you'll just fry them.

Behringer is ok, I have many Behringer products myself. Yes, sometimes they are not too durable, but on a budget, I'd say it's ok. Opamps used are usually audio grade 4580 which most other brands used also. On critical equipment, I usually get them changed to Burr-Brown OPA2228.

For that money you would spend on the amplifier, I would recommend that you buy a pair of studio monitors instead. You can try Yamaha or Alesis.

Recently BEST at IMM or Vivocity having alot promotion on Home Theater-In-A-Box system, ... have good brand like yamaha, onkyo ... $700 can get a very good 5.1 system le, and you dun need to have some many headache le, the most you spend additional $100 to get a 30M monster cable to replace the wire :D

B&H has the Mackie for $199 ex shipping.
But you should really buy locally for the support. Swee Lee carries them as does City music IIRC. I think you will see that the difference in price is closer to half and not a third in Sg.

Get the Mackie or Yamaha if you don't want headaches. Getting things like these repaired is a PITA. It can be very hard to trace the problem as there are so many variables esp in a mixer.

There is a reason why the Behringer is cheaper - cheaper discrete components with lower tolerances(if they are even discrete to begin with - could be just one big chip inside), cheaper pots, cheap Chinese labour to put them all together. You may luck out and get a good sample, but then again you might not. Is it worth the risk? Your money and your decision to make. If it is just one big chip inside - you might as well throw it out.

B&H has the Mackie for $199 ex shipping.
But you should really buy locally for the support. Swee Lee carries them as does City music IIRC. I think you will see that the difference in price is closer to half and not a third in Sg.

Get the Mackie or Yamaha if you don't want headaches. Getting things like these repaired is a PITA. It can be very hard to trace the problem as there are so many variables esp in a mixer.

There is a reason why the Behringer is cheaper - cheaper discrete components with lower tolerances(if they are even discrete to begin with - could be just one big chip inside), cheaper pots, cheap Chinese labour to put them all together. You may luck out and get a good sample, but then again you might not. Is it worth the risk? Your money and your decision to make. If it is just one big chip inside - you might as well throw it out.
Haha.. No, Behringer is not just one big chip inside. I was actually surprised when I tore some of the units to see if I could replace the opamps with better ones. They do use quality components. I think the low price is mainly because of MIC.

Even for Mackie and Yamaha, I do get crackling pots over time. So I'd have to say that Behringer isn't really that bad and Mackie isn't really that good either, but I do believe Mackie can take knocks much better than Behringer. End of the day, I still think that that pricewise, you get more than what you pay for for Behringer and for Mackie it's the other way round.

You should be able to get Behringer products from Performance Audio (level2) and Hung Bros (level3) in SLS. Hung Bros carry a whole lot more product, so you can actually go and take a look first. But be warned that their prices is a little on the high side. If you need to get anything from them ask them if they can give you the best price.

I think the Yamaha MG series mixers are also worth a try, they should not be too expensive. I think you should be able to get it in Music Plaza - Plaza Singapura/Tampines Mall.

Haha.. No, Behringer is not just one big chip inside. I was actually surprised when I tore some of the units to see if I could replace the opamps with better ones. They do use quality components. I think the low price is mainly because of MIC.

Even for Mackie and Yamaha, I do get crackling pots over time. So I'd have to say that Behringer isn't really that bad and Mackie isn't really that good either, but I do believe Mackie can take knocks much better than Behringer. End of the day, I still think that that pricewise, you get more than what you pay for for Behringer and for Mackie it's the other way round.

You should be able to get Behringer products from Performance Audio (level2) and Hung Bros (level3) in SLS. Hung Bros carry a whole lot more product, so you can actually go and take a look first. But be warned that their prices is a little on the high side. If you need to get anything from them ask them if they can give you the best price.

I think the Yamaha MG series mixers are also worth a try, they should not be too expensive. I think you should be able to get it in Music Plaza - Plaza Singapura/Tampines Mall.

The proof is in the listening and the longevity of the units. And the after sales service.

Do you really need a 1202 for a 2 speaker setup?

The behringer mixer i have suffers from some crosstalk. The MG on the other hand is really clean. But either one if fine if you're on budget. You could also look at Tapco. They're mackie's budget line.

try Alesis mixers at Sinamex.
not too bad. Comparab le to Mackie.

I'd rather spend the money on this:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...?proxybuster=MPAPM033AONCZJ0RMRCSHQFHKFSESI5P

Before you poo poo what looks like a mass market audio component from Philips - it is really a cut above the rest. The tweeters are ribbon transducers (normally found on high end systems) and the digital amps sound like mix of tubes and transistor amps. The preamp section even uses tubes to drive the digital poweramp. Worth a listen at least.

I've heard the lower end systems with ribbon tweeters from Philips and they were not bad. Apparently the Sgrean designers of these systems are avid audiophiles. I use Apogee ribbons and Krell amps in my main system but these ribbon tweetered mini compos were just as enjoyable to listen to.

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting one for the bedroom. For the price, they are a steal.
Apogee ribbons and Krells :eek: ...wow...my dream setup...got any pics of your system?

try Alesis mixers at Sinamex.
not too bad. Comparab le to Mackie.

:bsmilie: Alesis speakers not bad also but they cost a bomb

I'm using a pair of KRK ST6 studio monitors and a pair of Spirit Absolute Zero studio monitors ... love the Spirits more - don't know why. I'm seriously wondering how the Behringer Truth passive studio monitors sound :think:.. they're actually OEMs of the alesis passive/active model as well IIRC...

Anyway, behringer processing products are quite decent. Using a BFD to tame my SVS ... quite ok IMO.

Have worked with both soundcraft and mackie mixers... i find both of them top notch and simple to work with... :thumbsup:

Don't really like yamaha mixers... once for some reason .. the damn thing got "chao ta" smell ... :rolleyes: :sweat: .. at the end of the concert - it died.

Have worked with both soundcraft and mackie mixers... i find both of them top notch and simple to work with... :thumbsup:

Don't really like yamaha mixers... once for some reason .. the damn thing got "chao ta" smell ... :rolleyes: :sweat: .. at the end of the concert - it died.
I did attend a concert before where the organizers used a new yamaha board and it died in the middle of the show! But I guess for home use it's ok.

:bsmilie: Alesis speakers not bad also but they cost a bomb

I'm using a pair of KRK ST6 studio monitors and a pair of Spirit Absolute Zero studio monitors ... love the Spirits more - don't know why. I'm seriously wondering how the Behringer Truth passive studio monitors sound :think:.. they're actually OEMs of the alesis passive/active model as well IIRC...

Anyway, behringer processing products are quite decent. Using a BFD to tame my SVS ... quite ok IMO.
I've got a friend who recently got a pair of new Alesis M1 Active but I don't know which model for under $700. I think it's a good deal.

I find the Truth a bit on the harsh side. I am using Yamaha MSP5 myself, ran it through Behringer DSP8024 to flatten up the frequency response a little. The lows were also extended below the rated cutoff of the MSP5, so it's got real good imaging and bottoms without the need for a sub.

In my bedroom, I have a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 with the Behringer MiniFBQ (cheap!) calibrated by using the RTA function of the Behringer DEQ2496. Not very flat but works well ennough for my listening pleasure. ;)

note, i did not mention Alesis speakers.
i said mixers.

Yamaha mixers bad?
which series?
I have used the PM4000 since 1999 as my FOH console.
It is a workhorse of the industry along side with the Midas XL3, XL4.

I guess the Yamaha board they used are lower end ones.
The lowest end yamaha board i would use is the M3000

Soundcraft only Series 5 & above is worth considering.

For me personally, i would prefer to use a Mida Heritage or Legend anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.