astro event

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetylcholine

Jun 13, 2003
Visit site
i supposed u guys heard abt the upcoming venus crossing sun event this tues noon and evening. they mentioned on the papers that u can buy a filter frm science centre to protect yr eyes. is it the ND filter ? or something similar > :think:

it costs S$95...

Is anyone here going to try to photograph it?
Will it be safe? :bigeyes: :sweat: :blah: :eek:

Singapore Science Center shld be having something there.
or else ya can drop by Singapore Polytechnic, they are having observation too.
not shooting. too lazy.

I'd like to drop by, but I'm too far away :(
Also don't think I'll shoot, must do some study.
I read that you shouldn't look at it - go blind! scarey!

Venus in our sights: The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory has begun tracking Venus as it heads toward next Tuesday's historic transit across the sun.

SOHO's coronagraph snaps pictures of the sun from a vantage point 1 million miles from Earth, and just today, Venus began showing up on the left edge of the imagery.

In SOHO's pictures, the sun's bright disk has been blocked out so that the surroundings can be seen without glare.

Over the next few days, you'll be able to watch Venus come steadily close to the sun by checking this Web page.

As we've been reporting for months, the last time Venus actually passed over the sun's disk was back in 1882. Like solar and lunar eclipses, next week's transit is thus a testament to the workings of cosmic clockwork and our ability to anticipate its movements.

Scientists still use such events as an opportunity for research; for example, one team will be analyzing Venus' atmosphere, looking specifically for signs of water vapor and carbon monoxide.

The prime viewing for this transit will be in Europe; only a portion of it will be visible over the United States, and only from the eastern half at that. Consult our stargazer's guide or NASA's Venus Transit Web site for details on when and where it can be seen.

No matter how you shot, there is only one shoot. This is taken with a 300mm f/4 lens on 10D. Cropped almost 60% and sharpen. Hope it works.

web.jpg

For better pictures, check the experts:
http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/venus/venus.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.