Asterix goes to Namibia

29. Battle of the shadows

5951478019_382d778a4a_b.jpg

30. The morning after...

Sounds tacky...

This was taken at the Rooiklip guestfarm the morning after the lunar eclipse.

I woke up early just to make sure that the moon was doing fine :bsmilie:

It was an amazing experience to witness the full moon setting on one side and the sun rising on the other...

5952035172_acaca07823_b.jpg

31. Hello. Can I take your photo ?

I had left my camerabag somewhere in the vlei, a camera mounted on the tripod was somewhere else and I was running around with excitement with another camera.

When I saw this view, I imagined a conversation between the camera and the camelthorn trees...

5954556111_4df26cf6c4_b.jpg

Awestruck. Breathtaking. Daring.

What a beautiful place presented with such beautiful shots. Camping here for more ice cream for the eyes. :)

Awestruck. Breathtaking. Daring.

What a beautiful place presented with such beautiful shots. Camping here for more ice cream for the eyes. :)

Thanks kuantoh. Glad you liked the images. Can't forget your Tampines Eco Green sunrise photos.

"ice cream for the eyes" is a term I've heard for the first time :bsmilie:

I have a few thousand images from this trip and I can't quite make up my mind which ones are worth sharing, without boring the viewers to death. After a while, people will say "Aiyah. same Sossusvlei, same Deadvlei, same eclipse, same Etosha, same sand dunes..." I would rather stop before it comes to that... Many photos have an emotional value to the photographer, but might not be of any worth to the viewers...

32. You mess with me, I mess with ya...

This oryx sure had some attitude...

5960087220_af16d6297b_b.jpg

33. Stylus

5960086950_8123d1cb58_b.jpg

Thanks kuantoh. Glad you liked the images. Can't forget your Tampines Eco Green sunrise photos.

"ice cream for the eyes" is a term I've heard for the first time :bsmilie:

I have a few thousand images from this trip and I can't quite make up my mind which ones are worth sharing, without boring the viewers to death. After a while, people will say "Aiyah. same Sossusvlei, same Deadvlei, same eclipse, same Etosha, same sand dunes..." I would rather stop before it comes to that... Many photos have an emotional value to the photographer, but might not be of any worth to the viewers...

32. You mess with me, I mess with ya...

This oryx sure had some attitude...

5960087220_af16d6297b_b.jpg

33. Stylus

v nice startrails...
hey.. post more.. dun think we will b tired of the photos..

Salute! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. The kill

I didn't get to witness the kill, probably wouldn't have had the strength to witness it too. That's why Mother Nature presented me with a chance to capture the aftermath of a kill...

5900965004_becb6f50c6_b.jpg

22. Epupa falls #02

With the Angolan mountains as backdrop, the Epupa falls are quite a sight...

5945226660_c7c85a31b1_b.jpg

24. Epupa falls #04

I get cheap thrills when I get to see a rainbow in the mist thrown up by the falls. I suppose the little child in me has refused to grow up :)

5944669765_e11a7a6813_b.jpg

That's it for Epupa Falls, folks...

There are too many shots I love and I just returned to revisit the thread now and then to experience Namibia from your shots. Till now, these few shots really captured my attention.

#5 has so much potential for Nat Geo. Any more angles of the capture and feeding? Predator and prey at its best.

#23 and #24 just show how amazing nature is. Can't wait to see more shots man. But come slow and steady, so as to let us slowly feed ice cream to our eyes. Lol...

wow.. really nice series. loving it....
I wonder when's my turn : ( haha
setting a campsite here liao.

one of my fave threads ever...

33. Stylus

Woah!!!!that's one freaking AWESOME startrails:thumbsup:....how long did you opened up your cam to get this?

and post more leh....this is one good series to camp here for.

v nice startrails...
hey.. post more.. dun think we will b tired of the photos..

Thanks for your comments, William. Will search through my collection and find some more photos with variance...

Hope you are all set for Kenya. If I didn't have to work for a living, I would've joined you on that adventure...

Salute! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks...

wow.. really nice series. loving it....
I wonder when's my turn : ( haha
setting a campsite here liao.

Thanks.
Just have a strong intention and your turn will come too...

one of my fave threads ever...
Now, you are flattering me. Thanks, but there are some phenomenal threads by more than phenomenal photographers in this forum...

Woah!!!!that's one freaking AWESOME startrails:thumbsup:....how long did you opened up your cam to get this?

and post more leh....this is one good series to camp here for.

This was a 40 minutes exposure at f/4 ISO400 and long exposure noise reduction ON.

There are too many shots I love and I just returned to revisit the thread now and then to experience Namibia from your shots. Till now, these few shots really captured my attention.

#5 has so much potential for Nat Geo. Any more angles of the capture and feeding? Predator and prey at its best.

#23 and #24 just show how amazing nature is. Can't wait to see more shots man. But come slow and steady, so as to let us slowly feed ice cream to our eyes. Lol...

Bro, thanks for your comments.

This next one is for you :)

I wish you were the editor of Nat Geo, so I could have had my two seconds of fame. ha ha ha... I am quite fine without it lah...

I just checked. I had shot 64 photos of this scene - some when the lioness was drinking at the waterhole forever (and I had no clue there was a springbok next to her that she had killed), some when she got up and had grabbed the springbok by its neck (I let out an "Oh my GOD !!!") and was dragging away, some when she dropped it and looked all around - including an "imaginary" glare towards me, some when she was in tall grass and finally when she settled down to rest...

Unfortunately, I couldn't dictate to this model to pose for me in good light and grab the prey this way or that - he he he - so, I was totally at her mercy...

34. Another view of the kill...

5966655514_eeac4f024a_b.jpg

35. Sunset over moon landscape...

There is one section of the Welwitschia drive near Swakopmund that has very nice features. Its called the Moon landscape (I doubt that the moon has such landscapes - having seen photos of the moon on the internet and in books). Anyways...

This day I had driven a very long distance, constantly changing plans and routes based on my instinct.
Add to that the fatigue from photographing the lunar eclipse late into the night, the previous night.
Add to that, the fact that I had done a stupid thing by not going to Swakopmund and checking into my hotel (I had decided that if I had done that, I would've had less time at the Welwitschia Drive and might've missed the sunset), so I never knew the location of my pitstop for the night.
In addition, I had heard that Swakop was a rough town, darkness would set in soon and I would be driving into town in darkness.

And then, I had a momentary lapse of concentration.

The gravel road was empty and I was probably driving only at 40kmph or so. But as I drove through a bend, I went too far in and hit a patch of dust. All of a sudden, I lost control of the vehicle. It swerved this way, then that, this way, then that - I said my last prayers as I desperately tried to regain control of the vehicle. I knew that one more swerve and the vehicle would flip. Probably that last prayer worked because, miraculously, the vehicle stabilised by itself. I was shaking all over. I stopped and thanked my lucky stars that there was no vehicle coming from the opposite side or else I wouldn't have been around to share what would've been the last sunset of this life :)

I had a similar flirt with death in Iceland in March, when my friend lost control of the 4WD and we spun 360 degrees twice before landing in almost knee/waist deep snow in the ditch next to the road.

I am not tempting fate a third time around, this year :bsmilie:

This photo below could've been my last sunset. That's the value of this image to me. Not sure what its worth to the viewers...

5966655264_abbae91f9c_b.jpg

#22 & 24 are very nice !!!

Thanks for your comments, William. Will search through my collection and find some more photos with variance...

Hope you are all set for Kenya. If I didn't have to work for a living, I would've joined you on that adventure...
yup.. , defintiely looking forward to the trip.. yeah !
hey.. we all have to work for a living.. haha.. but there is always next year !

This was a 40 minutes exposure at f/4 ISO400 and long exposure noise reduction ON.

Other than the slight noise generated when shooting at ISO400, is there any difference if you were
to shoot at a lower ISO....say ISO100?

Nice travel pictures!! Absolutely loved that startrails! Exactly the type of trip I'll undertake after my last one once I got my savings replenished.

#22 & 24 are very nice !!!
Thanks bro...

yup.. , defintiely looking forward to the trip.. yeah !
hey.. we all have to work for a living.. haha.. but there is always next year !

Have to work hard and save every dollar and cent, if I were to indulge in such trips :)

Other than the slight noise generated when shooting at ISO400, is there any difference if you were
to shoot at a lower ISO....say ISO100?
I just thought that at a lower ISO, the trails might not be that bright enough. So, at the compromise of slight noise, I decided to shoot at ISO400. Compromise... I hate it, but can't do without it...

Nice travel pictures!! Absolutely loved that startrails! Exactly the type of trip I'll undertake after my last one once I got my savings replenished.
Thanks mate. Waiting eagerly for more captures in your thread and to read all about it...

36. Grotesque

Baobab trees can grow to fantastically ugly shapes..

5992925916_5bd808f019_b.jpg

37. Lonely...

After a long trek to Hiddenvlei, I managed this catch in cloudy conditions...

5992926390_2b4a1956d8_b.jpg

38. Romp

Elephants are undisputed kings of the waterholes. All other creatures stay away as long as the elephants enjoy a splash or even a leisurely drink at the waterholes. At times, the elephants can be quite mean too. One evening, I witnessed an elephant chase away a lone jackal at the Okaukuejo waterhole. It went all round the waterhole, grunting and showing its displeasure at the jackal sharing the huge waterhole...

5992927140_2f0bb53bc7_b.jpg

i got goosebumps from looking at all the awesome photos. :)

fantastic sharing!!!