Asterix goes to Iceland

Hi Asterix,

Really loved the clarity of the photos and the mood some of them convey. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

5645730408_d558736f77_b.jpg

5645730284_dc15e93d0e_b.jpg

Both are excellent and love the black sand beach!

Ha ha... Was pondering on where to go next year for Northern Light chasing - Have not decided on Iceland, Norway (Tromso) or Finland (Lapland)...

Now with your photos, made the decision a little harder... Sigh. I am lost!

Hi Asterix,

Really loved the clarity of the photos and the mood some of them convey. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your comments. Just happened to see your Northern Lights photos on flickr. Awesome !!!

Both are excellent and love the black sand beach!

Thanks for your comments. Appreciate it.

Ha ha... Was pondering on where to go next year for Northern Light chasing - Have not decided on Iceland, Norway (Tromso) or Finland (Lapland)...

Now with your photos, made the decision a little harder... Sigh. I am lost!

Ah, this is an interesting problem to have, no ? Wherever you decide to go, I do hope you have an awesome experience chasing the lights and when you get back, please do share them with us :)

Hello uncle Asterix, very beautiful thread. Learn a lot here especially pictures with a lot of white in it (snow and ice). I can only dream of going there. :)

Hello uncle Asterix, very beautiful thread. Learn a lot here especially pictures with a lot of white in it (snow and ice). I can only dream of going there. :)

Hey Manita. Good to see you here :)
I am learning from your APAD thread :)

When you grow up, I am sure you can travel not only to Iceland, but many other beautiful places in this world. Just pray that our generation doesn't destroy this planet and leaves it intact for yours :)

Continuing from where I left off...

26. Church

Saw this church from a distance when driving around in Snæfellsnes. Later, drove to the church and walked around for a close look. That's when, all of a sudden, the sun came out and we rejoiced like kids...

5689997481_e033b1b588_b.jpg

27. Route 1

This was a long drive. We had started with Gulfoss at dawn and it was afternoon when we reached this place. Took a break when I saw the waterfall Seljalandsfoss from a distance. See if you can spot it, quite easy actually...

5690572070_b4206540d3_b.jpg

28. Seljalandsfoss

Quite a boring composition, actually. There is a viewing platform and this is quite a clique shot.

This waterfall is unique in the sense that you can walk behind it. You can see a lot of photos on the internet that would've been shot from behind the waterfall... The path was snow covered and I didn't want to risk slipping and sliding into icy water :)

5689997807_84cc6c8355_b.jpg

Ah, this is an interesting problem to have, no ? Wherever you decide to go, I do hope you have an awesome experience chasing the lights and when you get back, please do share them with us :)

That is assuming I have managed to find the lights!!! Still not sure when is a better timing for chasing lights - late Nov/early Dec or early Mar? Neither do I know at what location would be a "better" place for doing this as well...

The whole series rocks, no. 3 in particular.

Thanks for your comments.

That is assuming I have managed to find the lights!!! Still not sure when is a better timing for chasing lights - late Nov/early Dec or early Mar? Neither do I know at what location would be a "better" place for doing this as well...

Of course, its said that Mar/Apr and Sep/Oct are the best times to view the Aurora. But there are a lot of variables when it comes to the weather. So, I would suggest that you make plans to do other things and keep Aurora viewing as a bonus. That way, even if you don't get to see the Aurora (I hope not), it won't be a wasted trip.

When I planned the Iceland trip, I told myself the same thing. I was really going there for the landscapes. Of course, I chose late March with the hope that if I got clear skies and the Aurora activity was high, I would stay up at night just to watch the amazing spectacle.

28. Around Dyrholaey

The entire area around Dyrholaey is extremely beautiful. Rocky outcrops, black sand beaches, lava flows from previous volcanic eruptions. I could've easily spent a week or two, exploring the area...

This one didn't come out as well as I had hoped it would. The twisted basalt columns are quite a sight. Because of the gloomy weather, it gives an overall depressing feel to the capture :(

5691614995_5310c83428_b.jpg

Really amazing! Very nice & captivating :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Amazing! I truly enjoyed viewing the images :)
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Beautiful. Would love to go there some day.
I am sure you will...

Really amazing! Very nice & captivating :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you. I enjoyed visiting Iceland and enjoyed sharing some of those memories with all of you...

Amazing! I truly enjoyed viewing the images :)
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks. Am glad you enjoyed the photos...

29. Sólfar

A conventional view that shows the shape of the viking boat, as compared to #8

5710754904_cafa26b543_b.jpg

30. Little Red house

I fell in love several times over at the quaint Icelandic houses. It must be quite a thing to live in the wilderness and face the extremes of weather. But one thing I must admit though. The colours of the houses in Iceland are amazingly pure and bright...

5710191579_b5181b514a_b.jpg

31. Beauty and the beast

Was just playing with my UWA lens...

5710753928_4812e9640e_b.jpg

32. Strokkur

The younger brother of Geysir or maybe the poor cousin. There are many wonderful photos of Strokkur on the internet and I was quite looking forward to photographing Strokkur. Probably, this is the only place where my expectations were dashed, or probably turned to vapour...

Because of the extreme cold weather, all the geothermal pools were letting out plenty of steam and I didn't quite enjoy Strokkur's action. I was ready with camera mounted on tripod, prefocussed the composition(s), cable release in hand, and the moment Strokkur would start its action, I would go trigger happy. None of them turned out well, so will trash every single shot that I captured...

This is just a mere record shot, which I captured after trekking up a small hillock...

5710753348_95c8a19d12_b.jpg

33. What's a beautiful thing like you doing in a place like this ?

... sounds like a 'cheap' pickup line.

But that's the thought that crossed my mind when I saw all these beautiful icebergs with such unique shapes stranded on a black pebble beach...

5710189977_c24b8a45c5_b.jpg

What an amazing series:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Been some time since I surf Clubsnap, came back to look for info in Iceland as I'm planing a trip next year.

Lo and Behold! Saw your thread and knew I'm guaranteed good photo and travel tips here.

Will take my time to slowly go through it and seek your advise on the trip.

What an amazing series:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for your comments...

Beautiful series!! Three thumbs up!!
Thanks...

Been some time since I surf Clubsnap, came back to look for info in Iceland as I'm planing a trip next year.

Lo and Behold! Saw your thread and knew I'm guaranteed good photo and travel tips here.

Will take my time to slowly go through it and seek your advise on the trip.

Cool. I will be looking forward to your captures...
If you need any help with the planning or any queries whatsoever, feel free to drop me a note.