Assumed family photographer - now the problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap_Dingo

Apr 25, 2006
When you carry around a DSLR at a family function, there is somehow an automatic assumption that the man with the biggest cam is the official family photographer.

The main problem I face is indoor family shots. Generally, lighting is too dim. I use the default flash, and not an add-on. Using the flash causes the subject to be fully flashed out but the background totally darkened. Terrible!

Tried standing further back from the subject, and it helps a bit to disperse the flash to surroundings as well, but not enough.

Increasing the ISO to 400 and not using the flash doesn't seem to help either, coz the noise seems to be too much for my liking.

The best alternative I've found so far is to change the settings to "night shot" and then it seems to disperse the light. But how can I do this manually without choosing "night shot"?

Is there a solution for this?

Also, does the ISO setting make any difference if the flash is used.... I don't think it should, (so I can use an ISO 100) but can someone please confirm it?

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

if it is a DSLR, use ISO400, f5.6, 1/30s, attach your hotshoe flash, set to ttl, just shoot.

use bounce card or ceiling bounce also can.

not to worry about the noise level at iso 400 or 800, it looks fine on 4R, unless you shoot underexposed it.

catchlights said:
if it is a DSLR, use ISO400, f5.6, 1/30s, attach your hotshoe flash, set to ttl, just shoot.

use bounce card or ceiling bounce also can.

not to worry about the noise level at iso 400 or 800, it looks fine on 4R, unless you shoot underexposed it.
Fully agreed what catchlights mentioned, not necessary you need to use ISO100. Am sure you don't want all your pictures turn out terrible. Follow his setting and try to play with it tonight, need more practise if you using 1/30s. Have ample fun!

learn more about yr cam... go full manual if possible.
i've taken family group photos @iso1000.... :sweat:
print out on A3+ no problems. :)

first and foremost - congratulationson being your family's official photographer!!!! :bsmilie:

think that you are shooting w/o an external flash - advice is to get one if you continue to do such events (settings as what catchlights has recommended).

why "night shot" mode works? iirc, this mode fires a fill-flash while ensuring there is bg is better exposed with sufficient ambient lighting (slow shutter sync) ... however, you may run into slight issues of handshake and movement!!

Thanks guys for the quick input.... now we know who is working and who "appears" to be working.... ;) (me included)

<kiddin>

Thanks. My views of the ISO400 appear to be rather grainy on the PC screen. Even if its like "fit to screen" - and not 100%. Also, without the flash, the pics seem underexposed - and there's no way to bring it up to levels except by using the flash. ISO adjustment somehow doesn't seem to cut it.

Is there really little difference between say the ISO100 when the ISO400 is printed? What about ISO800? Is it still great quality for 4R photos? ie. is it worth the tradeoff shooting ISO800 compared with the brightness.

Cheers!
Andrew

iso 400 or 800 will look fine on a 4R print, unless you shot it underexposed.
you can test it out and see it yourself.

ISO400/800 in dslr shouldn't give you grainy shots in your case.

Cap_Dingo said:
When you carry around a DSLR at a family function, there is somehow an automatic assumption that the man with the biggest cam is the official family photographer.
Andrew
This is where the fun ends and the problems start! :bsmilie:
Now everyone expects you to deliver, and yr name is always mentioned during family gathering. Sooner or later you will realise that the external flash is the only way to go in family indoor shoot.

So, I'm sitting here quietly in the newbies corner... and before I know it - the words "external flash" have come across my mind.... thinking of the $$$$, the bitter arguments with my wife.... but is it absolutely necessary to get an external flash to preserve my reputation and standing within the family? Comments? How much will it set me back, and is it alright to purchase a 2nd hand external flash?

Cap_Dingo said:
So, I'm sitting here quietly in the newbies corner... and before I know it - the words "external flash" have come across my mind.... thinking of the $$$$, the bitter arguments with my wife.... but is it absolutely necessary to get an external flash to preserve my reputation and standing within the family? Comments? How much will it set me back, and is it alright to purchase a 2nd hand external flash?

simple,
just tell everyone you don't have a flash unit, built in flash too weak, so only can shoot outdoor.
if someone says someone's compact cam can shoot better, go ahead, let him/her shoots, you can keep your camera for your own leisure.
no problems. no worries.

hmm.. i get the same thing too.. >.< truth is, i don't really like taking potrait shots.. but everyone expects me to take photos of them, so i do, afterwhich i keep getting pressed for the photos.. pffft.

absolutx said:
hmm.. i get the same thing too.. >.< truth is, i don't really like taking potrait shots.. but everyone expects me to take photos of them, so i do, afterwhich i keep getting pressed for the photos.. pffft.
mail them CD, ask them to print of themself.

Cap_Dingo said:

for indoor shoots, an external flash (and especially one that you can adjust to bounce) will make quite a difference to your photographs, when compared to the built in flash.

i tried to live with my built in flash and in the end, bought an external flash. really found it made quite a difference.

im sure your wife will appreciate the improvement in quality if you can persuade her...

Have you tried using the Slow Sync flash so that the back ground won't turn black but you may need a tripod.

I was going to ask my wife to come over and see your response.... a real pearler.... (and I didn't have to pay you anything for it)..... until I read that last line... and then I thought - hmmmm maybe not a good idea... :eek:

Thanks everyone for your advice. More welcome if you have any.

jdredd said:
for indoor shoots, an external flash (and especially one that you can adjust to bounce) will make quite a difference to your photographs, when compared to the built in flash.

i tried to live with my built in flash and in the end, bought an external flash. really found it made quite a difference.

so i gues syou just have to suck up big time to your wife.

take crap photos and sulk
everytime you press the shutter, look at the LCD and sigh out loud

saying that you know you can do better, only if you had an external flash
sulk for a week or two and contantly read the user manual or other documentation.

eventually she will give in.... :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.