Assembling a desktop PC for photo editing

For video editing, are you working in AVCHD? If so, that will need juice.

For the processor, can consider the i7-860. That's the current sweetspot for the i7 series.
For RAM, go with 8GB.
For graphics card, the ATI 5770 or the nvidia GTX260 are more than sufficient. No need to go higher. Check which one is priced better.

That's the core of your system. This combination should be good for a quite good while.

Won't bother recommending monitor since you have that covered already.

No, just basic home video stuff, I'm not well versed (or at all, experienced) with even the most basic of video editing, so my main concern at this point would be photos, batch processing to be more exact.

Thanks to all of you, you've narrowed down my choices and reduced my confusion by a great deal.

No, just basic home video stuff

Yes, that's what I assumed. AVCHD is the recording format for the current generation of HD videocams. AVCHD itself takes up a lot of processing power, whether basic or advanced editing. So good to take this into consideration.

But my gut instinct is that getting a system that is one or two rungs below the top-end would suffice. It's the hard core gamers that need the bleeding edge stuff.

All the best putting your system together.

Very generic inputs from me :

1. Processor : Any quad core (helps to crunch the numbers faster for photo editing)
2. Ram : 4G (1333Mhz)

The rest is up to you to juggle around (ie. good video card for games, etc)

dnt forget to get a decent cpu cooler. like this can overclock a bit to boost the performance ;)

gd to have even if you dnt overclock cause your cpu won't die so fast

oh yah, ever thot of AMD?

Dun forget the HDD too. Get a SSD for your OS, Programs and LR catalog. The increase in performance is very obvious. My PS CS4 launches in 2 secs.

Dun forget the HDD too. Get a SSD for your OS, Programs and LR catalog. The increase in performance is very obvious. My PS CS4 launches in 2 secs.

WOW!

How large is your SSD and how much did it cost you? Thanks.

BTW, are you the same Melvin Ho who took those Canon calendar photos? :)

If you are doing photo editing, you might want to consider getting an IPS panel /monitor... DELL/Philips and Eizo comes to mind.

- Dell ultrasharp monitors (1 is enough but with 2 u can work and watch movies at the same time! so wth! hahaha)
- decent Quad core CPU + a good motherboard hopefully something that supports the latest tech like USB3.0 etc
- a decent GPU with dual DVI output
- 8GB ram
- at least 600W PSU
- 1TB (WD black) for operating system and programs
- 1TB (WD black) for scratchdisk
- 1TB (WD Green) for storage
and if u have the moola... replace the 2 WB Blacks with SSD drives! and add on another 1TB for backup!

And there u have it, super good machine for photo editing! ;)

Hahaha now we know where you get your inspiration for coming up with those very artistic photos...must be from watching romantic movies. :bsmilie:
- Dell ultrasharp monitors (1 is enough but with 2 u can work and watch movies at the same time! so wth! hahaha)