Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread 3

Oh wow!!! I never knew a Gunners thread existed! Go Gunners!!!

Ya, me too! Go Gunners Go!

We are buying another defender instead of GK?

We've just confirmed the signing of Squillaci ... now we need a good goalkeeper to complete the puzzle ...

And they better do it fast. This is one area we are weak in. :sweat:

Champions League groups drawn

Group A - Inter Milan, Werder Bremen, Spurs, FC Twente.

Group B - Olympique Lyon, Benfica, Schalke, Hapoel Tel Aviv.

Group C - Man Utd, Valencia, Rangers, Bursaspor.

Group D - Barcelona, Panathinaikos, Copenhagen, Rubin Kazan.

Group E - Bayern Munich, Roma, Basel, CFR Cluj.

Group F - Chelsea, Marseille, Spartak Moscow, MSK Zilina.

Group G - AC Milan, Real Madrid, Ajax, Auxerre.

Group H - Arsenal, Shaktar Donetsk, Braga, Partizan Belgrade.

Groupings on Soccernet

Should be easy progress for us. Can't wait to see how the Spurs scums crumble and disintegrate!:devil:

Group G is going to be very interesting:bigeyes:

How I wish we could replicate the defensive bedrock of Adams, Keown, winterburn era. Their tough no nonense play is a big welcome today. A fiesty defensive midfielder is much in need to. From the looks of the 5 goalkeepers today, Wenger would be hardpressed to reason for another. For all we know we would have to live with the current keeper :dunno:

Jose Morinho has also said that ''this year will not be Arsenal's year again''. He also says we are not boy's any more, with our average age of 24-27yrs. Sad to say, I think he's right. The top two will still be Chelsea & Man U. Man City and Spurs will give us a good run this season. Mistakes against them will be costly.

The least we could do now, get a good reliable keeper.

Currently...

First team

No.1 Manuel Alumnia
No.2 Lukasz Fabianski
No.3 Vito Mannone
No.4 Wojciech Szczesny

Reserves & Youth

James Shea
Sean McDermott

Perhaps bring in a new keeper (assuming its more likely to be a seasoned veteran, aged 30+?) for no.1 and Alumnia drops to No.2 if he is willing to stay and fight for his place. His performances so far do not guarantee the number 1 jersey imo. Send out Lukasz and Vito on loan for more experience (they sorely lacking in this area, lack of confidence, needs more first team games).

So Szcezesny will become no.3 at the club, chances are remote for first team action but his potential is much more than Lukasz and Vito, judging by the amount of confidence Wenger have in him. He might just overtake Alumnia for no.2 spot. At the same time understudy from the new no.1.

And in near future when Lukasz or Vito is ready, and No.1 might be retired then. Everything will seemingly go into place. Szce claims second or third spot. Hopefully. :bsmilie:

Maybe i had too much FM2010 handheld. Hahaha

Names from http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players

We need a goalkeeper who is able to command and react properly. With a strong goalkeeper, we are good to go.

Woo hoo! Won the 'rugby' game @ Ewood Park! Walcott is beginning too prove many of critics wrong and I hope he'll keep it up ...

RVP got injured (again), Fabregas was didn't have a good game and it seemed when Rosicky came on, we seemed to regain control of midfield ...

All in all, good game Gunners! :thumbsup:

I like the play of Walcott. Hope he starts to run at defender in the coming games. Go gooners!

i felt the new center back was easily cut out for pace, this is where tight marking is at its weakest once the opponent spun past you, as a defender, you're completely caught out of position.

TV was also quite nervous in the aerial bombardment tying to control long balls where he should just hook it back into the backburn area.

on the other hand, walcott passing is getting better with the matches in hand, hope he keeps up the good work.

Last edited:
great to see an arsenal thread. Let's hope this is their year.

Transfer window deadline is tomorrow right? Where's our new keeper?? :sweat:

Just hope that AW will surprise us yet again with another last minute signing ... who knows, he may even be Mark Schwarzer ... ;)

Understood that Mark Schwarzer is very near to completion. Let's hope it's true.