Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread 2

Times like these makes me wonder if Wenger has lost it. He better bring back some trophy. Seems like Tony Adams is waiting in the wings.

Even though Wenger has transformed the team by bringing in young and promising players, nurturing them and getting them to play very entertaining team football; the club cannot go on too long without winning any significant trophy to make a mark in history.

I'm still for Arsenal and love how Wenger has transformed the team and club but honestly it's getting more and more challenging with each passing trophy-less season to put my faith in Wenger's promises and decisions ...

Maybe I'm just the odd ball here ...

Hmm, perhaps we can have a discussion.

If we can only choose between watching our club play entertaining football or winning trophies, what would one as a fan choose?

winning? if really entertaining but still lose...bit anti-climax. I rather the team win by ugly or luck, which both the club is lacking in those areas right now. No grit. :sweat:

Hmm, perhaps we can have a discussion.

If we can only choose between watching our club play entertaining football or winning trophies, what would one as a fan choose?

I think all of us have been spoilt by more than a decade of 'Wenger-ball" so to suddenly see the team play like bolton or late 1980s/90s Arsenal I think most of us would not be able to take it....

Yea ... we just thumped FC Twente 4-0b with goals from Nasri, Gallas, Walcott and Bendtner! :thumbsup:

So back to the ultimate question ... are we still bringing in an experienced midfielder? The transfer window is closing soon ...

Woohoo! I hope that STFU Maclaren.

No news on the midfielder, I think AW is playing blinkmanship with Rafa. AW wants Alonso but won't pay that kind of price.

But on the flip side, does any gooner here thinks Chelsea is not going to win the title this year?

Arsenal needs to be patient and wait for the whole market to blow up and then come in and pick up the choice pieces... yeah still dreaming :bsmilie:

The trouble with Alonso is that he is now Champions League cup-tied so that is a big negative for him. I am sure AW has his heart set on reaching the CL final again this year and looking at the strength of Chelsea, this is a more realistic target than winning the Premiership.

Senderos going...well I used to cringe every time I saw him in the starting line-up so it's probably good riddance.

The result last night was just what was needed. Apparently TW had a stormer, creating chances, setting-up goals and scoring himself. This is what we need him to do every weekend in the EPL. Nasri scoring again is good, will help him settle into the team.

Yes it would be nice to win the CL this season, but for AW its always the league title that takes priority.

No point winning it and then next year the team can't defend the title because it cannot qualify.

As for Senderos, I thought he played well with Toure during our run up to the CL finals in 2006. I think it could be Gallas that unhinge him. Maybe Mourinho did know something when he plays Gallas in the right/left? defender and not as central defender.

Senderos might turn out to be a good defender in an Italian team.

the transfer hasnt confirmed yet leh...hopefully it is real and goes through. :thumbsup:

Latest:

We've drawn to to play Porto, Fenerbahce and Dynamo Kyiv ... they are literally all over the place and especially for the last two, aggressive fans (not to mention the team too) and harsh climate will pose great challenges ...

Anyway to be deserving Champions, I guess we just have to clear every possible hurdle that stands in our way ... go Gunners! :thumbsup:

The draw is ok - could definitely have been worse I think. Let's hope we get that new signing before the window closes and everything comes together this Sat and we give Newcastle the spanking they deserve!

Arsenal have £30million to spend, says Fiszman

Updated: August 29, 2008, 9:52 AM UK

Arsenal would be willing to spend up to £30million before the end of the transfer window if manager Arsene Wenger found the right player, according to director Danny Fiszman.

Fiszman was responding to suggestions that the club's fans were uneasy with the Gunners' summer transfer dealings, which have seen the likes of Alexander Hleb, Mathieu Flamini and Gilberto leave the club and a distinct lack of big-name arrivals.
Samir Nasri, who already has two goals to his name, is the exception, arriving from Marseille for £12million, but there have been calls from supporters for more established stars to augment Wenger's youthful squad.
Fiszman, though, insists the board are willing to fund any targets the Frenchman identifies.
'There were great expectations and hopes that we would buy heavily this summer,' Fiszman said.
'It's not our decision who he (Wenger) spends money on, nor will it ever be our decision.
'If he said to us, 'I want this guy and he's £30million, can I buy him?', the answer is yes. Absolutely yes.
'We totally back him, it's his decision. If Arsene found the right player he would buy that player, but at the moment his hasn't.'
Fiszman also admitted the situation may not change between now and the end of the transfer window.
He admitted: 'There's a dual problem for him. If we buy star names, you are talking about relatively mature players who need to be integrated into the way Arsene plays - they don't know our style and it also impacts on the youngsters who have been brought through.'

Ok ... so we got the money ... will Wenger bring a big name or anybody in by the deadline?

Last edited:
Next up ... Keegan's Newcastle United ... hope we can keep the momentum going strong after our FC Twente win ...

Go Gunners! :thumbsup:

ya momentum and moral..hope we dun go down toooo early this season:(