Are you an Artist or Reporter?

Artist, Reporter or Both?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roti_prata

Jul 31, 2005
Bt Batok
Do you take pictures mostly because they are nice and show the beauties of our environment?

Do you take pictures mostly because you need to convay the situation to others?

Or do you do a bit of both?

for me i shoot sch events frequently but i like to shoot planes at the airport whenever i have the time so i'll consider myself inbetween.

roti_prata said:
Do you take pictures mostly because they are nice and show the beauties of our environment?

Do you take pictures mostly because you need to convay the situation to others?

Or do you do a bit of both?

for me i shoot sch events frequently but i like to shoot planes at the airport whenever i have the time so i'll consider myself inbetween.
For myself, I use photography to capture the beauty of things around. For wedding shoots, you will probably need a bit of both. Even for reportage, capturing the nuances of the situation is also important.

I think my pictures are more documentary than artistic. That's why seldom get oohs and aahs here. Maybe it's my internal need to catalogue stuff. For example, if I shoot pics of planes, I like to get the entire collection and 'catalogue' them. And I shoot them in the centre, filling the frame.

Nowadays I'm into flowers and same thing, I take them to 'catalogue'. Weird.

i tend to believe that photography is a distinct form of art, sometimes rendering a scene more beautiful than it is in reality, just as ansel adams did with his work..

saying that, i kinda like what group f64 had promoted back then..at a time when most pictorial photographers were trying to imitate paintings, these people (including ansel adams) committed themselves to showing the photograph as stand alone art. and that, to them was realism expressed by foreground to horizon sharpness.

I would say both to varying degrees depending on the subject and the intention of the photographer.

For instance, even a paparazzi type shot of a celebrity can be affected by the style chosen by the photographer. Soft focus, flattering angles etc. can make the clebrity look good. Harsh light, b&w, choosing stupid expressions or situations can do the opposite.

i'm mostly an artist... i suck at being a reporter..

Astin said:
I know that some ppl shoot for "collection" purpose.
lol, ppl like me. coz everytime i go airport will end up shooting almost 2gb and i store all of them good or bad. my hdd left 700+mb only, time to upgrade:sweatsm:

i think I am a reporter. to let the photograph speak for itself. tell the story. and if there's beauty in it, let that speak for itself too.

I shoot only cause i was paid to!

Cheers.

sure or not? go airport shoot wide angle with a 300mm lens? or go other airliner website and leech 2GB worth of stolen photos???
roti_prata said:
lol, ppl like me. coz everytime i go airport will end up shooting almost 2gb and i store all of them good or bad. my hdd left 700+mb only, time to upgrade:sweatsm:

user12343 said:
sure or not? go airport shoot wide angle with a 300mm lens? or go other airliner website and leech 2GB worth of stolen photos???

:bsmilie:

Good thread . I think this thread is gonna make people think twice about themself and thus know themself as a photographer better , i feel that people nowsaday just take photos for the sake of it and is more like reporting it then " expressing " it ....

For me , i am none ... i use photography as a tool to express my feeling and my very own view and thinking , that is why i love it so much that i think that i am too relying on it in my life to portrait my views and thoughts .

user12343 said:

sure lah, shoot 2GB worth of roti prata photos put inside hdisk. then use abt 100mb leech from a.net.

but 100mb freed up in the end cos all post on flickr mah

Status
Not open for further replies.