Are we allowed to take pictures in supermarkets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
are we?....any idea guys?:dunno:

seanlim said:
are we?....any idea guys?:dunno:
Do you see a sign says no camera and video near the door at most of the shops, including departmental stores?

Do you need any other explanations?

ok thanks some have some dont..will keep a look out..some v. small...and ya can leave casio exilim take video in changing room...dun think got sign say cannot lei..

If someone tell you can, you have every rights to take picture in whatever place you like, whatever pictures you like....

Sure, go ahead and do it, and don't forget to bring that person along, so you can carry on shooting and that person will do the explaining, debating to someone whom stops you from taking pictures.

It's very simple.

Public place = can.
Private place = maybe (depend what the owner says).

Note that "can" is not the same as "should" or "ok", which depends on the situation and your own judgement. Sometimes, it may be foolish for you to take the pix (eg if Ah Long is carrying parang on the street-- you want him to come after you?)

Also, in some cases, it's not taking pix that is the problem, it's how you take the pix or what you do with the pix, that is the problem.

Wai Leong
====
catchlights said:
If someone tell you can, you have every rights to take picture in whatever place you like, whatever pictures you like....

Sure, go ahead and do it, and don't forget to bring that person along, so you can carry on shooting and that person will do the explaining, debating to someone whom stops you from taking pictures.

Well said :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

waileong said:
It's very simple.

Public place = can.
Private place = maybe (depend what the owner says).

Note that "can" is not the same as "should" or "ok", which depends on the situation and your own judgement. Sometimes, it may be foolish for you to take the pix (eg if Ah Long is carrying parang on the street-- you want him to come after you?)

Also, in some cases, it's not taking pix that is the problem, it's how you take the pix or what you do with the pix, that is the problem.

Wai Leong
====

catchlights said:

Better still always have your lawyer present when you take the photos. :bsmilie:

catchlights said:
Do you see a sign says no camera and video near the door at most of the shops, including departmental stores?

Do you need any other explanations?

I don't see any sign in the departmental stores that says "You can't point a gun at the cashier and demand money from her."

:bsmilie:

seanlim said:
ok thanks some have some dont..will keep a look out..some v. small...and ya can leave casio exilim take video in changing room...dun think got sign say cannot lei..

Okay lor you go try and see and then call us from behind bars to tell us heheheh

My dear young man....don't look for trouble when trouble don't come looking for you. To brandish a camera or video cam at the changing room is like poking a stick a a hornet nest.

If you give the in-store security probable cause if they saw you playing and aiming your camera at an area as sensitive as a changing room area where people's modesty can be compromised, they have every good reason to detain you, call the police and have you brought to the station for question if you do not have a valid reason for doing so. Your action is bordering on a suspect criminal act and with that a lone they can bring you in for questioning and even go to your home to search for possible evidents.

They could hold you on suspicion that you could be trying to video tape people changing. Does not matter if they could not see any details of it on your video cam when then caught you doing. They can claim you were just caught before you did it. With propable reason, they might even go to your home to search for evident on the assumption that you might have done this before. This is not an unlikely situation as I have come across this a few time when doing my NS in the Police Force. In-Store security office have caught such persons and handled them over to the police for quetioning. There is no wrongful arresting or detaining here as it involve a possible criminal act.

You daring stunt could be nothing but pure fun but hope you have nothing in your home when they do a search. For nothing something happens leh.

Even if the police found nothing, they are doing their job and acted in good faith. Thus you can not sue them for detaining you or searching your home. They acted in good faith thus it is within their right and lawful practice to do so.

Sion said:
Better still always have your lawyer present when you take the photos. :bsmilie:
That's right, you do the shooting, he/she do the talking, everyone happy.

Sion said:
I don't see any sign in the departmental stores that says "You can't point a gun at the cashier and demand money from her."

:bsmilie:
For Singaporean, they always have to look for a sign says "Robbery are allowed", then they will dare to rob.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

sammy888 said:
Okay lor you go try and see and then call us from behind bars to tell us heheheh

My dear young man....don't look for trouble when trouble don't come looking for you. To brandish a camera or video cam at the changing room is like poking a stick a a hornet nest.

If you give the in-store security probable cause if they saw you playing and aiming your camera at an area as sensitive as a changing room area where people's modesty can be compromised, they have every good reason to detain you, call the police and have you brought to the station for question if you do not have a valid reason for doing so. Your action is bordering on a suspect criminal act and with that a lone they can bring you in for questioning and even go to your home to search for possible evidents.

They could hold you on suspicion that you could be trying to video tape people changing. Does not matter if they could not see any details of it on your video cam when then caught you doing. They can claim you were just caught before you did it. With propable reason, they might even go to your home to search for evident on the assumption that you might have done this before. This is not an unlikely situation as I have come across this a few time when doing my NS in the Police Force. In-Store security office have caught such persons and handled them over to the police for quetioning. There is no wrongful arresting or detaining here as it involve a possible criminal act.

You daring stunt to do so could be nothing but pure fun but hope you have nothing in your home when they do a search. For nothing something happens leh.

Even if the police found nothing, they are doing their job and acted in good faith. Thus you can not sue them for detaining you or searching your home. They acted in good faith thus it is within their right and lawful practice to do so.

sammy888 said:

How do you know some of the messages in this thread are not posted from a jail internet cafe?

Looking at the legal and moralistic opinions propargated in this thread and the other one, half of the jail in this country would be occupied by the trigger-happy amateur photographers. :bsmilie:

Sion said:
How do you know some of the messages in this thread are not posted from a jail internet cafe?

Looking at the legal and moralistic opinions propargated in this thread and the other one, half of the jail in this country would be occupied by the trigger-happy amateur photographers. :bsmilie:

You know something? In a weird way...I am not surprise man!.... but I doubt it would be a Singapore Jail. Did a tour of guarding it back then...I doubt even today you will get that chance of a good life as a prisoner in Singapore. Sound more like an American Country Club style jail for white collar criminal maybe heh.

Jail internet cafe? hahahah some how that sound more like something only found in an Advertising tagline leh heh Jail + Cafe don't seem to mix. heh

any place with a security feature (spycams, guards) is understood to prohibit picture taking

i thought school reopen already? no homework ah?

Serious???

user111 said:
any place with a security feature (spycams, guards) is understood to prohibit picture taking

vince123123 said:
Serious???

Sometime its at best to avoid conflict than to enforce the right thing. Not that I am saying we should give in, just that its just make things tougher sometimes, like insisting that photography is not prohibited in most places unless otherwise stated. Its quite sensitive now, especially with threats all around.

We can't help but contemplate over whether should we sacrifice or refuse to give in and get attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.