Architecture Marvel

wilb87

Dec 19, 2010

Click for larger size

in what area is critique to be sought?
i need feedback on the composition and technical aspect eg. long exposure shot.

what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
First time shooting with my prime lens, working on my landscape shooting

Hi,

Just my views... IMHO, I feel the composition does not work for me cos I'd prefer not to have the bottom left portion in frame and also the helix bridge's support struts/ columns. It would perhaps be nicer if you had shot with just the helix part of the bridge with some clear dary sky above. The perspective is too "flat" I think. Maybe trying another angle would help. Or a night portrait of a pretty woman on the left of your frame with the helix seen trailing towards the left would probably be nice too. Of course in such a case long exposure would be difficult. I must say that the long-exposure you've done is pretty nice IMO. Just the right amount of light seems to have been picked up. Nice... Have fun shooting!

Technically a good photo. Correct exposure, good starburst effect, sharp, nice colours, etc.

However, it is lacking in the creative department, or the composition aspect. Try shooting and experimenting with other location, angle, etc. I've seen some in CS which has good composition on this. Do a search for them.

Technically a good photo. Correct exposure, good starburst effect, sharp, nice colours, etc.

However, it is lacking in the creative department, or the composition aspect. Try shooting and experimenting with other location, angle, etc. I've seen some in CS which has good composition on this. Do a search for them.

Second to what yc2005 has mentioned. IMO, having the helix horizontally across the picture is not interesting and also the pavement at the left bottom of the picture is distracting. Just change the spot/perspective and chances you will get a much better picture.

I agree to your title. The bridge is indeed an architectural marvel.

However, your pic does not serve justice to it since, from a compositional perspective, you do not capture its 'marvel'. Why not try asking yourself, what exactly makes this bridge stand out? Then try to isolate and accentuate that element. Me think you might then get a pic that is more befitting to the title.

Cheers

Second to what yc2005 has mentioned. IMO, having the helix horizontally across the picture is not interesting and also the pavement at the left bottom of the picture is distracting. Just change the spot/perspective and chances you will get a much better picture.
+1; in case there are constraints to the area in which you can change spot/perspective shoot in paroramas that will give an unusually wide view of the bridge, drawing extra interest to the architecture 'marvel' you are photographing...

Thanks everyone for your time in viewing the picture and comment. Understood all the comments, thanks again!