Architectural + Cityscape Photography #5 (The photos)

CnC please thank you.

4696588721_3453f1bcbc.jpg

larger

4696588749_d1416f3f35.jpg

larger

4696588757_8b9d68d2d8.jpg

larger

4696588759_443295deca.jpg

larger

Last edited:
Nice pictures guys, great conditions for shooting..

Pity I'm still a sick duck..

#4 - An earlier 3 stitch pano... ND8 applied.. less than satifsied with the lighting at that time and will welcome any thoughts on this composition.. I somehow felt a little too much sky in this :think:

4693565848_b15cb4908a_b.jpg

Thats all for me... All C n C mst welcome :embrass:

the sky is great, there is drama there so it's worth leaving in.

there is too much water for me, and i wish there was more space on the left of the esplanade.

i understand why you have not done an extremely long exposure here, is a pity, since the water here isn't very nice and would benefit from something longer. you would risk getting cloud movement though.

#5 and #6 are looking way too saturated for me.

5. Cleaned up noise, add signature... final product

these are marked improvements until the final product

there is probably something wrong with your sharpening process, it ends up yielding something very unnatural - what do you do when sharpening?

I think from the angle we were at, it was either keeping them unstraight or chopping them off. In fact for my negative demo, I decided to get them in and correct post processing rather than chop them off. Not sure if one or the other is better but thinking maybe given the choice of the lesser evil, in this case maybe getting all the buildings in is better? :dunno: what are your thoughts on this? (telling me get tilt shift lens is not one of the options)

do vertical pano. ;)

Maybe I will cover my workflow on using ND filters later.. I know the others have other ways of working (like NNB using iPhone app to calc how much time). Surprised you went to buy the entire range... next time borrow me your ND106 :bsmilie: this one is a bit overexposed.

i need me an nd106..... guess i'll get it in singapore.

tired of ending up with calculations of 16 minute exposures in low light - and that's still bearable, but i have to double any time given because i CAN'T turn my long exposure noise reduction off. need to email pentax to do something about that for firmware for crying out loud.

sorry for the spam comments.

anyways, since i am noting loads of use of more extreme nd filters, following up on a question i had always had since a long time ago that still remains unanswered - are any of you here experiencing banding of sorts (a darker strip at the bottom usually in landscape format) with the nd110 or hoya nd400?

i have always gotten it now and then. it seems to appear when i stop down beyond f/8, and rears its ugly head more often when i am doing non-level compositions.

these are marked improvements until the final product

there is probably something wrong with your sharpening process, it ends up yielding something very unnatural - what do you do when sharpening?

No sharpening; I darkened the sky and brightened the sea/buildings, using layer mask. The pic had a thicker-than-normal layer of halo around parts of the building which regardless of which way I painted over (darkened or brightened) were still halos and I think that's the problem.

Oh. The other problem could be the noise cleaning. Thanks for the heads up.. I will go back and check through which process may have added that (I saved all the steps as one PSD file so can go back retrace now.. woo hoo)

do vertical pano. ;)

In Arnie's voice... "I'll go back". Okay, will try again.

i need me an nd106..... guess i'll get it in singapore.

tired of ending up with calculations of 16 minute exposures in low light - and that's still bearable, but i have to double any time given because i CAN'T turn my long exposure noise reduction off. need to email pentax to do something about that for firmware for crying out loud.

Oh okay. I had my LE NR off and wondering why you still set yours on (think you posted some months ago). This is the part where I go "Hello Kitty camera has superior technology" :vhappy:

I'm planning on getting ND106 also; for some strange reason, I'm quite happy to take large aperture landscape pics just to reduce the bright light star effect :dunno:

and then now this one looks fine. :dunno:

No change (I think) other than crop and moving my signatures. You are referring to the sharpening, right? Or about composition balance?

anyways, since i am noting loads of use of more extreme nd filters, following up on a question i had always had since a long time ago that still remains unanswered - are any of you here experiencing banding of sorts (a darker strip at the bottom usually in landscape format) with the nd110 or hoya nd400?

i have always gotten it now and then. it seems to appear when i stop down beyond f/8, and rears its ugly head more often when i am doing non-level compositions.

I didn't realize that was banding. Yeeesssss.. so even on a horizontally aligned pic, I do crop off the bottom ~ 20% and it looks like I'm taking more of the sky. I always thought it was because in the morning, the bottom part is always darker. I actually like the effect when used on city skylight... reflected water... night time shots. :dunno:

the sky is great, there is drama there so it's worth leaving in.

there is too much water for me, and i wish there was more space on the left of the esplanade.

i understand why you have not done an extremely long exposure here, is a pity, since the water here isn't very nice and would benefit from something longer. you would risk getting cloud movement though.

#5 and #6 are looking way too saturated for me.

Naymeh,, tks for ur comments arh..

Agreed that slightly more room on the esplanade side will be more ideal.. This is a 3 stich Pano.. Would love to do a longer exposure but light changes too rapidly at that hour.. So thought of just do away with a 3 stop ND and see how it goes..

5 and 6 straight out of cam man.. Vivid mode used.. :sweat:

I haven't got time to comment on every photos but I seriously think that some of you guys are capable of organising your own sessions and impart your knowledge to the others. What say you?

A big thanks once again to Kit, CK, YSLee for organizing this fun outing :) and to wildcat and coolthought for sharing their knowledge with us. I think all of us had an awesome time!

Only have 3 images to share, comments and critique welcomed as always :)

4696178818_01581bf27f_b.jpg

4695618057_2193c37f87_b.jpg
[/CENTER]

Cheers folks!

I love these photos best in the thread. Although they aren't the sharpest photos here but they are certainly the most pleasing to my eyes :D

I haven't got time to comment on every photos but I seriously think that some of you guys are capable of organising your own sessions and impart your knowledge to the others. What say you?

I volunteer...

... Numnumball. :bsmilie:

Oh wait. He already self arrow :p

Understand can be quite draining. We all need to take a break.. can do job rotation? Maybe between YS, CK?

Okay, I better stop before I acquire new title of Tai Chi Master.

Last edited:
i haven't got time to comment on every photos but i seriously think that some of you guys are capable of organising your own sessions and impart your knowledge to the others. What say you?

i volunteer...

... Numnumball. :bsmilie:

Oh wait. He already self arrow :p

understand can be quite draining. We all need to take a break.. Can do job rotation? Maybe between ys, ck?

Okay, i better stop before i acquire new title of tai chi master.

^^^
that means you!!!

^^^
that means you!!!

I helping NNB in his outing. If you organize another one, I can also help out :bsmilie: heck.. I can even organize one for you ( you just turn up; I handle logistics of postings, gathering phone numbers, etc)

"The art of tai chi starts with the mastery of stepping up, and deflection..."

Btw did I tell you I am colour blind to the colour red?

Last edited:
I helping NNB in his outing. If you organize another one, I can also help out :bsmilie: heck.. I can even organize one for you ( you just turn up; I handle logistics of postings, gathering phone numbers, etc)

"The art of tai chi starts with the mastery of stepping up, and deflection..."

Btw did I tell you I am colour blind to the colour red?

please please organize one on first weekend next month...:bsmilie: i will logon to clubsnap constantly to chop a place ;p

please please organize one on first weekend next month...:bsmilie: i will logon to clubsnap constantly to chop a place ;p

I will, in KL. We can have a gathering at say, Dataran Merdeka (Merdeka Sq). I'll be there two weeks... :bsmilie:
7am works for you? kekeke. We can do archi or sunrise... or both! :p

CnC please thank you.

4696588721_3453f1bcbc.jpg

larger

this is great coolthought :) i took a similar shot like urs but had lost alot of shadow details while pushing the contrast sliders. urs on the other hand is clean and preserved much of the details, good on u to make the shot work :thumbsup:

for the mbs shot i just thought that if there was just a little more water and less sky to showcase the reflections of the buildings without clipping them the shot would have been better.

hey nm, i experience that banding effect as well with the nd400, esp with the smaller f numbers. but portrait format also got leh lols.

I love these photos best in the thread. Although they aren't the sharpest photos here but they are certainly the most pleasing to my eyes :D

thanks wenzheng for ur kind comments :)

ENDorphine's pix
4692900898_5fdf8ce03b.jpg

I think from the angle we were at, it was either keeping them unstraight or chopping them off. In fact for my negative demo, I decided to get them in and correct post processing rather than chop them off. Not sure if one or the other is better but thinking maybe given the choice of the lesser evil, in this case maybe getting all the buildings in is better? :dunno: what are your thoughts on this?

This was definitely a negative shot! I was just so engross over seeing how an ND'd shot would turn out that the fundamentals slipped my focus. Have to burn these tenets deep into my mind if I wanna get things right.

There is this issue with lighting balance on the 1st but you can't do anything to help though. An evening shot would probably yield more impact.

2nd one does have some issues with compositional balance.

I;m not a big fan of chopping off buildings but you might not have a choice because you need to keep them straight as well.

1st shot suffers an overall lack of light. Could have done an EV compensation, or coupled with a blended exposure. 2nd one wasn't better all, on the contrary, Numnumball's #4 was exemplary! I should have left out those low-rise portion on the right and attempted to include the more structures on the other side.

Yes, 3rd one is definitely something to avoid. Appreciate all the advice, Kit.

Still lots to learn, still lots to practice..