Aprilmei : An all business woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, still an ongoing thing. OK, lemme say this - as an art director in a design agency and freelance photograher, I've learnt to accept all sorts of critiques from both laymen and people of the same page as you (industry) - which is good you see. Either 'good' or 'bad' critiques, I'll take it cuz the works that I've been doing are for the masses which comprise laymen and people around you. So I'd say, comments, critiques, remarks, insult, whatever... It's all 'good' for you and whether you take it or not it's entirely your choice. Trust me, it beats to not having anyone to see and comment bout your works at all.

To me, critiques and comments, there's a fine line there... Laymen (like most clients, oops :p) will give you comments more than critiques and opposite for photogs or people of same page as us... for the obvious reason.

Have fun shooting. :)

Last edited:
Woah, still an ongoing thing. OK, lemme say this - as an art director in a design agency and freelance photograher, I've learnt to accept all sorts of critiques from both laymen and people of the same page as you (industry) - which is good you see. Either 'good' or 'bad' critiques, I'll take it cuz the works that I've been doing are for the masses which comprise laymen and people around you. So I'd say, comments, critiques, remarks, insult, whatever... It's all 'good' for you and whether you take it or not it's entirely your choice. Trust me, it beats to not having anyone to see and comment bout your works at all.

To me, critiques and comments, there's a fine line there... Laymen (like most clients, oops :p) will give you comments more than critiques and opposite for photogs or people of same page as us... for the obvious reason.

I'll remember your words when times are down. :thumbsup:

I'll remember your words when times are down. :thumbsup:

I think that your pictures definitely need improvements (a lot)

I also agree with you that the first comments received are useless as not containing a cent of constructive comments but rather personal opinions on your way to shoot and to think (but that will not help you improve for sure...)
Ignore this and wait for value added replies...

Now, I'm no expert but,

Balance the lighting, not enough details and too dark on the left side. there are some other post detailing this.

Get your model to arrange her hairs and pose (the smile is too simplistic making the pose unrealistic and not conveying a message) and don't stay so close to the wall as to cast a shadow.

black shirt + black hairs + harsh lighting does not goes along very well, you might think of something lighter, white can be very formal and the blue tie would really flash on it, still keeping the seducing female side caught in a business outfit.

Get something tighter, i find the shirt a tad too loose.

Continue to shoot, you will improve.

A good Sunday.

Oh, I opened this thread and found new comments.

If you've notice, valid comments, constructive comments (bad and good), and idea bearing comments were replied (some courtesy put in for good measure).

The invalid, immature, corrupting, (some comments were a bit long winded for my speed reading) and philosophical ones will be left as it is. I jolted a though, "many pretentious photographers are also philosophers? "
My least favorite,: "shoot more without any stupid technical crap, and shoot outdoors"-sequitur
I leave it to other readers to digest that in your own accord, ya.

yawn.

alright, leave it for your own digestion then.

edit: oh, btw, your profile may say you're a male, but it feels like you're typing like a female, and the way you phrase your stuff actually reminds me of AverRal. if you are, good to see you holding a camera now, maybe you can cut down a little on those TNP stuff.

Last edited:

here's the thing. this ts has gone around to a bunch of other threads critiquing on small small nit picks that have nothing to do with the shots. He's even gone so far as to complain about the lack of numbering one person had for this shots posted. there's such a thing as eye for details but that is just ridiculous esp since that little detail has nothing to do with the photos posted. plus not to mention that he's gone around talking like he's some great critic when he can't seem to see photos as a whole instead of the compulsive need to just dissect everything and tear things down. I agree with someone's earlier comment he seems more interested in the technicalities behind an image rather than looking at the whole aesthetic. he's a lay man but the way he's talked and carried himself sure as hell contradicts that...he's no critic. nor is he an appreciator. he's just pure EGO.

four post and i still cant find any photographic merits,its still the same as your first post.im beginning to think that u dont have any idea what ur doin.:dunno:

To each it's own, merits or not, I am interested in constructive comments not immature hearsays:nono:. I feel you're looking for tit for tat. That my friend, you'll not pry from me. sorry.

How to give constructive criticism when you are not receptive?

Bare in mind, the 2 pictures in this thread are nothing short of boring, ordinary, not good, and really, no way to improve them, other than trashing them and reshoot. How about that.

All your reasoning to support these 2 picutes do not fly, and they appeared to be afterthoughts. If they aren't then it is worst becasue they came across that way.

And when you reshoot, please give some thoghts ahead of time. What do you want to shoot and how should you shoot to achieve what you wanted.

seriously I don't know where to begin for giving you any "constructive" comments after seeing all the shots you posted in all your threads.

all I can suggest is you can put down your camera for a moment, go to any one of our National Public Libraries, borrow some books about portrait photography, and start to do some serious reading.

Forget about doing any shoot for the time being, till you at least compete a couple of portrait photography books.

hope this help.

"he's a lay man but the way he's talked and carried himself sure as hell contradicts that...he's no critic. nor is he an appreciator. he's just pure EGO." - The Question

Sweeping statements with nothing to back you up, makes you very vulnerable in a forum like CS. (you're a notch...down, I'm afraid :thumbsd: ).

"edit: oh, btw, your profile may say you're a male, but it feels like you're typing like a female, and the way you phrase your stuff actually reminds me of AverRal. if you are, good to see you holding a camera now, maybe you can cut down a little on those TNP stuff." - sequitor

Don't know who AverRal is, but your credibility has been nullified. Thanks for participating. Do come back when you're old enough to keep up.

Fiip : read your post, there were some useful insights. Some were rather subjective. Some were mentioned/highlighted earlier by other members. Still many thanks ya.

Happy new year to other members who's been following this thread like a soap opera.

A good Sunday.

Oh, I opened this thread and found new comments.

If you've notice, valid comments, constructive comments (bad and good), and idea bearing comments were replied (some courtesy put in for good measure).

The invalid, immature, corrupting, (some comments were a bit long winded for my speed reading) and philosophical ones will be left as it is. I jolted a though, "many pretentious photographers are also philosophers? "
My least favorite,: "shoot more without any stupid technical crap, and shoot outdoors"-sequitur
I leave it to other readers to digest that in your own accord, ya.

Oh, based on your comments given in other's thread, I supposed you should that title high and above.

If your "message" or theory about your shots can't be conceived or convince anyone (esp the BIG BLUE tie=screw you????), you FAIL, get it? Anymore reasoning, seasoning with salt and pepper or your favourite techincal defending ain't gonna hep in one single way.

here's the thing. this ts has gone around to a bunch of other threads critiquing on small small nit picks that have nothing to do with the shots. He's even gone so far as to complain about the lack of numbering one person had for this shots posted. there's such a thing as eye for details but that is just ridiculous esp since that little detail has nothing to do with the photos posted. plus not to mention that he's gone around talking like he's some great critic when he can't seem to see photos as a whole instead of the compulsive need to just dissect everything and tear things down. I agree with someone's earlier comment he seems more interested in the technicalities behind an image rather than looking at the whole aesthetic. he's a lay man but the way he's talked and carried himself sure as hell contradicts that...he's no critic. nor is he an appreciator. he's just pure EGO.

How to give constructive criticism when you are not receptive?

Bare in mind, the 2 pictures in this thread are nothing short of boring, ordinary, not good, and really, no way to improve them, other than trashing them and reshoot. How about that.

All your reasoning to support these 2 picutes do not fly, and they appeared to be afterthoughts. If they aren't then it is worst becasue they came across that way.

And when you reshoot, please give some thoghts ahead of time. What do you want to shoot and how should you shoot to achieve what you wanted.

Deadpoet, I tooked shots with harsh lighting, and was paid with harsher comments.

In another thread, the model (aka Isabella) came out with arms swinging at you. No? You took a lot of brunt in that thread. That thread is now locked.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453805&page=2

You're a harsh critique, but with valid criticism. I posted some photos, you haven't.

Well, you can jolly well look at his portfolio and I'm sure you can pick out 101 things to criticize (same style, same lighting, just mainly more boobs than others etc) . Remember about your comments in other TS's thread? It's so easy pointing at people but forgot that the other three fingers are pointing back at you.

TS, what I have to say, may sound inane, blase and purely ignorant, so you can disregard what I have to say and take me as a stark raving idiot for all I care. But nonetheless, I have to say this.

You have stated that you were were looking for constructive critique. My question is what exactly are you looking for. People to tell you what to do? What went wrong? Where did you go wrong? How to improve? I have gone through this thread no less than 7-8 times and each time I see you taking potshots at people who are in their way giving critiques, but to you it seems mere rants. As far as I am concerned here, there is nothing much to comment. This is because the pics here are nothing short of boring, flat, lifeless and non-conceptual.

The title is "an all business woman". I do not see that. The mere wearing of a shirt to depict that image is lame to say the least. You took the shots under harsh lighting conditions. The purpose? To create a strong presence? If that is the case, it is a weak feeling. There is nothing remotely strong about those two pics that depict an all business woman to begin with!! A blue tie? Against a black shirt? Contrast? Whimsical idea to me. Much more flippant and whimsical if you said that the tie says "screw you". Phallic symbol? The tie? Where and who in the world gave you that idea? If you want a representation of an all business woman, I suggest u pick up a copy of The Peak or the Singapore Tatler. Look at the pics that show a business woman and I do not mean advertorials. Look at those pics and compare them to yours. I am not telling you to copy those pics but there is a concept there within those pages.

As in your previous post Red, again I do not see anything in the pic that can be even commented, because nothing is there. If you think I am being harsh, yes I am. Because that is what you are looking for and that is what I am giving to you. Look at your pics again, study them against books and magazines. If you think that I am personal here, that is your view. You have taken personal potshots at DP and Question and a couple of others without realising the fact that what they have said actually made sense. Why don't you read the posts again and figure out yourself what they are trying to say.

I have a suggestion for you. When you take photos, throw the technicals out of the window. Concentrate on the fundamentals. The technicals are just there as rules of thumb. If you shoot too much with technicals and forget fundamentals, then you are no where. If you want to learn, put your pride aside and look at the pics again and ask yourself what were you trying to achieve.

Before you critique others, critique yourself first and see if the pics you have posted warrant any merit of posting. If not, do not post because you are going to get slammed left, right and center if you cannot take the harsh words. If you can take, post by all means and be prepared to be critiqued and commented from all quarters. BTW, it does not matter whether DP has posted or not. Why don't you go into his port and critique his photos that he has posted. Afterall, many have done that before. I do not do it because I know where I stand as a newbie. So if you feel that you have been wronged in some way, please by all means critique all our work here, but as you said: back it up. If you want to take personal potshots, back it up. If you want to comment, back it up.

Last edited:
Deadpoet, I tooked shots with harsh lighting, and was paid with harsher comments.
In another thread, the model (aka Isabella) came out with arms swinging at you. No? You took a lot of brunt in that thread. That thread is now locked.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453805&page=2

You're a harsh critique, but with valid criticism. I posted some photos, you haven't.

in actual fact i dont even wan to visit ur thread but since u r using my thread as example.. whether u r still trying to find trouble or dont even understand what critics are all about and all u just know is keep asking for comments ... and slamming other people thread as though u are so PRO ...
as u mention in ur "accidentally closed" thread previously

I've done balanced flash portraits but it's simply too simple to do these days.
There's not enough challenge for me at least.

for the sake of all forumers especially newbies like ME why dont u show us some of ur masterpieces u classed as SIMPLE, maybe from there we know what u r trying to attempt.

u keep asking for 'constructive comments' but ask urself, r u in anyway constructive in accepting comments or r u just trying to 'CHIONG' posts counts.

u agreed with DP critics, but are u putting them in use in REALITY... it seems Ur NOT !!!

why do u dig up my thread as an example? trying to stir up something again?

to be frank i guess u dont EVEN know what the heck u r shooting and instead if u can go around the forum COMMENTING on so many TS posts, i dont know Y in the first place u are able to produce this kind of photo and passing ur OWN standard to even start a post in the forum.

do some soul searching... i cant really imagine each and every post u criticise .. whether u are able to produce anything close to what is posted by others and critics by U

if u r trying to follow DP style of critics, sorry to tell u ... U FAILED deep deep

for a newbie sake, I BEG u to post some of u masterpiece to convince me those are TOO SIMPLE for u

have a NICE day

Last edited:
"he's a lay man but the way he's talked and carried himself sure as hell contradicts that...he's no critic. nor is he an appreciator. he's just pure EGO." - The Question

Sweeping statements with nothing to back you up, makes you very vulnerable in a forum like CS. (you're a notch...down, I'm afraid :thumbsd: ).

"edit: oh, btw, your profile may say you're a male, but it feels like you're typing like a female, and the way you phrase your stuff actually reminds me of AverRal. if you are, good to see you holding a camera now, maybe you can cut down a little on those TNP stuff." - sequitor

Don't know who AverRal is, but your credibility has been nullified. Thanks for participating. Do come back when you're old enough to keep up.

Fiip : read your post, there were some useful insights. Some were rather subjective. Some were mentioned/highlighted earlier by other members. Still many thanks ya.

Happy new year to other members who's been following this thread like a soap opera.

and i should care what people in cs let alone you think or accuse me of why? the only deluded one here is you. not me. o please do take more potshots at everyone. coz that will result in your presence being banished from this place sooner. so please. do cram out the insults more. We can take it.

Last edited:
Everyone wants to be Simon cowell, Singapore wananbes we have li fei hui (Superstar), sucks who comment for the sake for commenting. i.e zero substance. Not everyone can be like him or even come close simply because there is only ONE Simon Cowell.

If YOU are really truly deeply, sincerely looking for comments to improve, learn from Zeckson, he has come a long way, and not being a stuck-up ready to drive a lambo when you still can't even handle clutch and accelerator.

Generally if the basic are right, good lighting, pose, post-processing etc, nitpicking details HELPS to improve slightly on an overall good photo (not including personal preferences like "Its a little -0.5ev under, head need to turn slight 5 deg blah blah bullshiting).

A fail image like the obvious case here, rather than gathering all the changes required or comments that you been longing for, which infact-> numerous, just face it, reshoot.

well not to pointing finger here n there.. but i can say frankly is, the way u present the shoot is boring n hardly understand what u trying to tell..

since u wanna members here to C&C, u should try to accept it... asking for way to improve your skill, shoot n better ideas... not pushing the fault n comments on other peoples work badly..

i'm not saying my work is good or what.. i did post some works before n got alot bad comments from the members here.. for my way, i try to accept it n ask for tips... this is the way to learn n improve the shoot.. always remember to correct the mistake n to minus the fault...

after all the best tips is to shoot more n join shoot to improve by asking photographers around.. everyone is friendly n willing to share the tips, this how i learn..

happy new year n hope to c your improvement in 2009... :)

Last edited:
Hola !
You really need to improve alot :bsmilie: ,
Try harder next time :dunno: .
Oh my god , i didn't realised it's my first post
This is my virgin post eh
Happy not ?

Last edited:
why is your ego so bloody big? what\'s the point of posting these photos when you cannot even take the most general criticism at all? you need to learn to be humble and listen to all kinds of critics be it good or bad and use your brain to think them through why are they posting these replies.
even if some replies are harsh, just ignore them. trying hard to defend your photos and thinking your photos are absolute perfect gets you no where, why bother posting them here in the first place? this is the place where you learn from others and humbly accept pointers given.

if you cannot even do this, find the antonym of \"humble\", and that\'s what you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.