Appreciate some tips for DIY home studio for product photography

coldshot

Dec 14, 2009
Hi

I'm starting a website which sells fashion apparels and i would like to convert one of my spare rooms into a little studio. I will be shooting the clothes on a full body and half body mannequin.

I have a few questions which i hope the experts can help me with

1. Do i need a light tent? Considering that a full size mannequin is almost 1.8m tall, i'm looking at quite a big tent. I've read some articles which advocates just using a white backdrop.

2. Would these lightings be sufficient for shooting during the day or night? I like the fact that it comes with reflectors and umbrellas.
http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_30&products_id=209

I'm trying to keep cost down as i'm new to this. I will be using my canon digicam 10mp.

Thanks!

I think the usual small light tents won't do. Though there're huge tents out there to put a human in there.

If you really wanna do a studio, you'll need consider backdrops, several lights.

Alternatively, I'd think that an outdoor shoot would be good, but costs of getting a model will have to be considered.

Thanks Red Dot. I did contemplate usingmodels for outdoor shots but most probably in the future.

As for now i would to see what i can come up with at home.

would 2 continuous lights be sufficient for my needs?

Two continuous lights, or even a single bounced flash would probably suit your current needs quite well considering that the main priority for your shots would be clear, sharp shots. Be sure to set your WB correctly if you're using hot lights.

All the best.

Two continuous lights, or even a single bounced flash would probably suit your current needs quite well considering that the main priority for your shots would be clear, sharp shots. Be sure to set your WB correctly if you're using hot lights.

All the best.

Thanks DM. I read that i should also have a third light placed behind the mannequin to make the background more 'white'? Is this necessary? Or just using a white backdrop would suffice