APO 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG OS

fierydevil71

Aug 19, 2010
Hi everyone,

i was looking around for a tele-zoom lens and came across the sigma APO 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG OS for Canon. heard there was one with marco but aint interested in it. just wanted something with image stablisation.

read some reviews online but couldnt find out whether the local shops sells it, or what price they are selling it.

hope i can get some help here. Thanks in advance.

Erm .. APO is an abbreviation of Sigma, not Canon.
Sigma link: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/telephoto-zoom-lenses?page=2

Oops, sorry =)

Here's the correct one, but for Nikon.
http://ddelectronics.com.sg/products/Sigma-50%252d200mm-DC-OS-HSM-Lens-Nikon-Mount-.html#

Maybe you can call up various shops to ask for it.

BTW, based on the price list last updated on 2 weeks ago
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6462745#post6462745

It shows: APO 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro - $325 (CP) | $320 (MS) | $310 (Digicam Peninsula) | $330 (AP-F) | $330 (OP)

Err no offense guys, but it's a designation of a glass used in apochromatic designs, even though some marketing genius decided to call normal glass 'APO' with some kind of 'improved' coatings but are nonetheless, non-apochromatic by nature.

Anyway, it's GLASS. Not a brand, or label, or trademark.

'APO' is simply an abbreviation for apochromatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apochromat

Last edited:
Dream Merchant, thanks for the clarifications. :thumbsup:

Err no offense guys, but it's a designation of a glass used in apochromatic designs, even though some marketing genius decided to call normal glass 'APO' with some kind of 'improved' coatings but are nonetheless, non-apochromatic by nature.

Anyway, it's GLASS. Not a brand, or label, or trademark.

'APO' is simply an abbreviation for apochromatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apochromat

I recall reading somewhere that sigma apo for this lower budget range is not true apo.

Source: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/326-sigma-af-70-300mm-f4-56-apo-dg-macro-test-report--review?start=2

That review is for the macro version but I'm not too sure if the same statement applies for the OS version also? However I did read many people complaining about the "non-apo" version. :bsmilie:

thanks folks for the reply. sorry maybe i didnt make myself clear, coz i was looking at the sigma lens for a canon mount.

akaszaksz- thanks for the info. i saw the APO 70-300mm DG macro at the price guide for canon. but i saw another one that is APO 70-300mm DG OS. are they the same lens? i tot they were differen

i saw the APO 70-300mm DG macro at the price guide for canon. but i saw another one that is APO 70-300mm DG OS. are they the same lens? i tot they were differen
Check the link that I have posted. Obviously they are different.

thanks alot octarine. appreciate your help!

thanks folks for the reply. sorry maybe i didnt make myself clear, coz i was looking at the sigma lens for a canon mount.

akaszaksz- thanks for the info. i saw the APO 70-300mm DG macro at the price guide for canon. but i saw another one that is APO 70-300mm DG OS. are they the same lens? i tot they were differen

If im not wrong, theres 70-300mm DG Macro (non apo) without the red ring, 70-300 APO DG Macro with the red ring and the latest 70-300mm DG OS (non apo) released about a year ago. The latter 2 models are still available for sale.

Price of the OS version is nearly double of the APO DG Macro. The APO reduces chromatic abberation. Have not seen the DG OS in action thus can't comment. But I can say the APO DG Macro is a much better option over the ef 75-300 USM (non IS).

thanks azurebluee! i was just wondering, hows the IQ of 70-300 APO DG Macro when its handheld? i was worried that with my not-so-steady hands all my image will be blured.. thats why looking for the OS version. is it ok to use it without tripod?

thanks azurebluee! i was just wondering, hows the IQ of 70-300 APO DG Macro when its handheld? i was worried that with my not-so-steady hands all my image will be blured.. thats why looking for the OS version. is it ok to use it without tripod?

I use it mostly for animals (monkeys to be exact) handheld.

Some pics by the APO DG macro from other users: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614159

It takes getting used to without OS/IS. Do more push ups and get a grip. ;p

i guess its better to do push ups than to splash more money for the OS version. haha thanks a lot for your help!

It's not so much strength fiefydevil71, but technique.

Keep you COG low, spread your legs a little and tuck your arms into your chest. Don't lift up your arms where your elbows hang loose as that will be unstable.

Also learn to use walls and lampposts - anything, to your advantage to stabilize your self. And fire off several shots even if you have what you need. Chances are, one of the middle shots will come up the most steady. ;)

The APO version, if you ask me, is probably the best, unless they come up with an APO Macro OS version.

CHEERS! :cool:

Keep you COG low, spread your legs a little and tuck your arms into your chest. Don't lift up your arms where your elbows hang loose as that will be unstable.

Also learn to use walls and lampposts - anything, to your advantage to stabilize your self. And fire off several shots even if you have what you need. Chances are, one of the middle shots will come up the most steady. ;)

The APO version, if you ask me, is probably the best, unless they come up with an APO Macro OS version.

Can not agree more :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sigma DG APO 70-300 is the best value for money tele lens, specially for those who are not much into telephoto range.

Few other thing that adds stability is a heavy camera body, higher ISO/Lower f .. basically higher shutter speed :thumbsup:

Another funny but important point, your breathing time. stop breathing while pressing shutter.

I forgot the breathing part. My Bad. :embrass:

Good point kaylan2000. :thumbsup:

Sounds like teaching how to use a rifle:bsmilie:

oh yes, not forgetting to mention breathing & finger techniques:cool:

Sounds like teaching how to use a rifle:bsmilie:

oh yes, not forgetting to mention breathing & finger techniques:cool:

Actually, very similar! :bsmilie:

thanks guys for ur guidance and info. kinda make things easier for me. haha no wonder everyone recommend me clubsnap when i just started out. everyone is willing to help.