Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the reply.

Like what sci80298 mentioned. Seriously, I don't think I will be shooting animal regularly. Probably will do more portrait, street shot and occasionally animal in the zoo. Maybe also my daughter annual concert.

Having a constant F/2.8 will be sweet.

Should I save more money for that :dunno:

Same here..I should start saving now maybe $1 a day? hehe just kidding...

Dun understand why we all think f2.8 is great in any lens. f2.8 is just how big the hole is when the shutter opens. Any one wants to shoot a sharp pic would go with f6 and above anyway even on prime lens. Ofcourse, if you have a f5.6 to begin with, u may need to use f8 to get a sharp pic as in the case of 18-200VR. I think the quality of the lens and the magnification factor (highest zoom figure dvide lowest) less than 4 is good. 18-200VR is 11.1. In my opinion, if u want good quality pic use prime lens, if not get 18-200 VR. Tamron is pretty good too, I had it before. Dun get 70-300 sigma. if u do not have a stand, forget about getting a focused pic, ofcourse, if it even focus in time.

try 400mm prime from tokina, its on ebay for less than 500USD.;p

Dun understand why we all think f2.8 is great in any lens. f2.8 is just how big the hole is when the shutter opens. Any one wants to shoot a sharp pic would go with f6 and above anyway even on prime lens. Ofcourse, if you have a f5.6 to begin with, u may need to use f8 to get a sharp pic as in the case of 18-200VR. I think the quality of the lens and the magnification factor (highest zoom figure dvide lowest) less than 4 is good. 18-200VR is 11.1. In my opinion, if u want good quality pic use prime lens, if not get 18-200 VR. Tamron is pretty good too, I had it before. Dun get 70-300 sigma. if u do not have a stand, forget about getting a focused pic, ofcourse, if it even focus in time.

try 400mm prime from tokina, its on ebay for less than 500USD.;p
getting f2.8 is not just for it sharpness... f2.8 is handy in slightly dimmer condition as well. and a f2.8 lens stopped down to f4 is definitely sharper than a f4 lens wide open.
f2.8 also give you less DOF to make nicer bokeh, which is what a lot of people are going for as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.