Anyone upgrade/sidegrade/downgrade from DSLR > X100?

milesandcoltrane

Nov 9, 2010
Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you here upgraded/sidegraded/downgraded from a DSLR to the X100. Have a Nikon D3100 and shoot it with the 35mm F1.8 AFS lens exclusively. Pining for a wider angle lens either 24 or 35mm equivalent and frustrated with the lack of (affordable) wide angle primes for Nikon DX cameras.

Shoot street and architecture mostly. Travel quite often and always take my cameras during holidays (biggest incentive for a holiday: photography)

The X100 appeals immensely, never really shot with a rangefinder but grew up on an FM2 and 24, 35 and 50mm primes. The build quality would be very welcome. D3100 feels like a friggin plastic toy (but IQ is pretty amazing for the price).

What do you guys think?

i sold my 550D and using X100 ever since

I never use a rangefinder before and I "downgraded" from a Pentax K5 to the X100 a few months ago and didnt regret a single bit.

Actually I don't find it a downgrade especially in terms of image quality. The X100 is pretty capable of holding its own against other DSLRs when it comes to image quality and iso performance. U will sacrifice the speed and responsiveness of a DSLR but what u gain is a compact package which you will bring out much more frequently than a bigger DSLR. The hybrid viewfinder is in a class of its own and I love the 35mm equivalent lens.

Have a Canon 60D with Canon 17-55mm F2.8, Sigma 30mm & 50mm F1.4. Also have the Leica X1 and Fuji X100 (gave to my wife to play) too. Don't think I will sell of my 60D at all to go entirely with X1 or X100. In fact, I am thinking of upgrading to a 5D mk II.

Think dSLR and compacts like X1 and X100 have a role to fulfill depending on what you want. My 60D is so damn blazing fast that it make both the X1 and X100 feel like a snail. Use it to mainly take children, portraits and landscape. The weight of the dSLR and lenses may be a problem while traveling but I went to Europe with everything plus tripod for a good 22 days in a backpack with no problem. Came back fitter cos of all the walking. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and definitely fulfilling when I look at the pictures now.

However it definitely cannot beat the X1 and X100 in terms of discreetness when doing streets. I especially like the near silence of both that allows me to "sneak" some shots on people. Both are very fun cameras to use! More useful in terms of streets as opposed to taking photos of hyperactive children for sure.

Wow thanks for all the quick replies guys!

Lots of great input here. I can see that many of you like the X100 for what it is.

But one of the things that keep coming up here and from what I've read online is the AF speed, and just the speed of the cam in general.

AF speed - is it too slow? I shied away from m4/3 cams due to the contrast based focus. Not a big fan based on my limited experience with compacts. Is it too slow to be usable? Much slower compared to my D3100?

I absolutely hate compacts and their ridiculous shutter lag. Bloody useless.
Does the X100 have significant shutter lag? Read somewhere that shutter lag wise its even faster than entry level DSLR but not too sure.

The other speed issue is the time it takes to turn on and get ready before being able to take a shot. Read that its "slow as molasses" according to Steve Huff but speeds up "significantly" when using a fast card like the Sandisk Extreme Pro. When using such a card is the power on time similar to that of a DSLR.

I would still probably be holding onto my D700 after getting my X100.

But I can see that eventually I will start moving away from the bulky DSLR unit to the more mobile and discreet X100 unit. I'm starting to actually "hate" bringing my DSLR around because of the bulk and weight. Sometimes, what you need is just a simple (and good) camera to bring along with you for traveling, impromptu moments or walkabout. A DSLR is not ideal in such a situation.

Wow thanks for all the quick replies guys!

Lots of great input here. I can see that many of you like the X100 for what it is.

But one of the things that keep coming up here and from what I've read online is the AF speed, and just the speed of the cam in general.

AF speed - is it too slow? I shied away from m4/3 cams due to the contrast based focus. Not a big fan based on my limited experience with compacts. Is it too slow to be usable? Much slower compared to my D3100?

I absolutely hate compacts and their ridiculous shutter lag. Bloody useless.
Does the X100 have significant shutter lag? Read somewhere that shutter lag wise its even faster than entry level DSLR but not too sure.

The other speed issue is the time it takes to turn on and get ready before being able to take a shot. Read that its "slow as molasses" according to Steve Huff but speeds up "significantly" when using a fast card like the Sandisk Extreme Pro. When using such a card is the power on time similar to that of a DSLR.

Hello! I will explain slowly...it may seems like an apologetic piece for the x100 so bear with me.

AF Speed - granted. It is not fast. It is not fast at all compared to DSLR. That's the thing. People has been fed with the good stuff (phase detect) and when they have bitten a small stone in their rice, they complain the whole bowl of rice is full of stones. If I can get my focus while people are doing stand up comedy in a near darkness club save for the lighted up stage (which is a single spot), then I wonder what is really the matter. Just bite the bullet and learn how to get the focus in. Good thing fujifilm has allowed a reduced sized focus box and make it stick for a better focusing experience so it is an improvement. If a certain power drill doesn't work for one person, that doesn't mean the whole world has the same hands and skill. If there are people out there who can get their focus in, then it is time to reflect something in the way the camera is focused is wrong. If not it is a habit that has gotten in the way of using the x100.

And i will add..the multi focusing system is not to the standard of DSLRs. And as any RF camera out there, just use the centre point to focus, half press and get your shot. Heck I still use the same methods for my DSLRs much faster this way and I get my exposure reading too. Yes I using spot metering method.

The speed issue can be solved very easily. Just format the SD card everytime you put in the new card. Even my Fujifilm vanilla 16GB SD card is not 'extreme' in anyway can be used and the start up time is acceptable. Yes acceptable. Some people out there just expect it to be as quick as the domestic maid. It is a compact cam. It is not a DSLR with a huge battery source. BTW, it is about 2 seconds tops for my 16GB card.

That said, kill all the battery saving features and get another higher capacity battery.

As for shutter lag...there isn't one...unless the focus hunt is included in the shutter lag time. If that's the case, then do read my vent on the focusing issue.

As for power on time, from bag, power on and then to eye, is around 2 seconds...more than sufficient time to get it switched on. And again, caveat: format the card in camera before using.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply wilswong. Illuminating read bro. I get your analogy about biting a small stone and calling all the bowl full of stones.
I guess its just a matter of getting used to the idiosyncrasies of your camera and working around them.

Regarding the focus issue, I do exactly what you do as well. Focus using the centre focus point, recompose, then shoot.
The centre focus point is a lot faster and accurate compared to the surrounding points on my D3100 so no worries about that.

As for reformatting the SD card every time I take it out, I do the same thing with my D3100. OCD la, I do it a couple of times then start with my shoot. Always. So no problems there as well.

You were talking about getting focus in a dimly lit Jazz bar (love Jazz btw woot!) - how long does it take for you to get your focus locked with the X100? 50 percent of the time I shoot in an environment with similar lighting conditions (dimly lit, night shots etc.) so this is a key interest.

Thanks again bro!

Hey bro,

Here's the set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz/sets/72157627128312378/

It doesn't take long so long you know where to find contrast in a scene and find one that is about the distance you want to focus on. Yes it is tedious at first but once you get the hang, it is pretty quick. Most shots at F2 and F2.8. ISO is 2000-4000, majority at ISO 2000. Aperture priority, EV-1.66 to -2.

Will be glad to help. Want to join me for a shoot at Comedy Masala for the 52nd edition?

I usually go once every 3 weeks. Just to keep my skill set sharp.

Thanks for the link bro.

Pics look good! Would love to join you but I'm in Shanghai right now. Will be back mid Aug. When's the next Comedy Masala?

I guess if you can work around it or learn how to adapt to how the AF works it isn't a problem yeah.

Would you say: now that you've learnt how to use the X100 you can comfortably use it and not miss any shots?

Thanks for the link bro.

Pics look good! Would love to join you but I'm in Shanghai right now. Will be back mid Aug. When's the next Comedy Masala?

I guess if you can work around it or learn how to adapt to how the AF works it isn't a problem yeah.

Would you say: now that you've learnt how to use the X100 you can comfortably use it and not miss any shots?

If the criteria is to get shots because the action is fast. Yes you will miss shots primarily because it doesn't have a great continuous focusing system (contrast detect is an issue). I always have to do some prefocus and then do the 'trap' method, i.e. wait for the performer to turn around or get into the zone i want them to be in. Like i said, it is not top of the line focusing system vis a vis sports photography system but it still can be used to great effect with some patience.

Comedy Masala happens every Tuesday. Let me know when you are in town :) wilswong@rocketmail.com

X100 is not a rangefinder, it's a compact.. but for me, i did not "downgrade" to X100.. i sold my DSLR and get olympus XA instead.. for me, DSLR is not really everything in terms of photographic tools.. it's the feelings, the ease of use, handling and connections.. i have not yet tried the X100, but being so used to 35mm lens, maybe that will be easier to adapt for me..

after all, ASA, aperture and shutter are all i need.. i get full frame, fits in my pocket and so friggin quiet.. i guess it's a more extreme "downgrade"?

I got one! ANd im now also in the process of letting go of my much valued 35L :)
When you use a 5Dmk2, the AF of the x100 isnt too bad.
Just use area AF - set the AF point to the middle. Focus , recompose, shoot.
Exactly what I do with the 5Dmk2 with its unreliable outer AF points.

Its just a tad slower compared to 5D/35L, but hey its smaller!

Plus it has an assist lamp. YOu can focus in total darkness! Try doing that with a 5D2 (w/o an 580ex IR assist)

ANd the other good thing is you have a very light strobist setup.
I got th Fuji Ef-20 flash (like a 220ex) and I use a canon off camera cord with it :)
you can also shoot flash (internal or external) with a 1/1000 shutter = Fill flash + bokeh in daylight.
60D pop up flash cannot do that (no Hi speed sync for pop up flashes).
And the 5D, well no pop up. and the 580ex is almost big as the x100 .

And the sharpness. This lens is sharp at F2.
And MACRO mode. 35L doesnt have that.....

Ok , i do miss the 35L bokeh. X100's bokeh is very smooth , just not a lot.
But thats why I still have an 85L on the 5dmk2.
ANd at least now every gets to be in focus in my group shots. :D

Last edited:
Just collected this camera a few hours back. Wow! The ISO performance, the looks, the image quality and DR blew me away! I hope X100 will mark my first step to transit from a DSLR hobbyist to a more "mobile" hobbyist in times to come :)

i have got my x100, pretty impress with low light performance n image quality ... but for me, i am not letting my 7D cos there's situation that i still need the zoom lens esp for events n stuff ... overall x100 is a performer :)

The main thing I did after buying my x100 was to sell my 35L which I thought I would never part with. Can't see myself lugging a Dslr ard with a 35mm lens when the x100 can do the job. The x100 AF speed could be faster, but for most situations, it's good enough.

The write speed to the sd card is also a bit slow, even when compared to NEX which I used to own. However, even this is not really a problem unless you shoot in burst mode. In a rather unscientific test I tried, it took about 22-25 seconds for the x100 to write 8 raw files to a 30mbs sandisk extreme card. I upgraded to a 45mbs card and it now takes 'only' roughly 14 seconds. But I imagine most people won't use burst mode up to 8 frames most of the time.

But to answer TS question, x100 may replace dslr for some, but I suspect it will be extra camera for many, myself included. 35mm is reasonably versatile, but I still need my longer lenses n Dslr.

^^

You are not missing the amazing 35L? i was planning to switch it to a 24L or 50L to take away the redundacy with the x100.
leaning towards 24L coz 50L is kinda close to 85L in length.

Yeah. an x100 would be a great combo with a 5D2 plus 135L or 85L or even 70-200L.
during the weekend , I shot a kiddie bday party with an x100 and 5D/85L .

Last edited: