Anyone tried the new Leica Summarit f2.4

shepherdmoon

Jan 7, 2012
Jurong West
the 35mm/f2.4 or the 50mm/f2.4 ??
know the street price?

thanks! they just look delicious!

I have the Nokton and I used the 50/2.5 for about a year, they're both awesome. Optically you can scrutinize lenses to hell but that's not what makes a picture anyways. I find with a bit of processing I can intermix with the Nokton from the same project and no one will know (but I mostly stop down a bit and never really shoot color).

So option one, just stick with your Nokton, save money. Or at least look at the real reasons why you're not happy with it. I see you're a small lenses kind of person (good), so read on :)

Go for the Summarit if you want: super small and light, no finder blockage, smooth focusing ring (unlike the Nokton), comes with tab (doesn't need to bake sculpey to make an ugly one for the Nokton), short throw (quick autofocus), never needed a hood for it. Nice and contrasty, fairly smooth. Not an effect lens, gets out of the way, just delivers. I don't think you will carry both the Nokton and the Summarit at the same time.

Price: look at the forum, there are a few for a bit more than a grand. Buy the old one, you lose less money if you decide to sell, no one wants it as everyone is dreaming about lux and cron.

Go for the Summarit if you want: super small and light, no finder blockage, smooth focusing ring (unlike the Nokton), comes with tab (doesn't need to bake sculpey to make an ugly one for the Nokton), short throw (quick autofocus), never needed a hood for it. Nice and contrasty, fairly smooth.

the new summarit 35/50 also come with lens hood. the new 35mm is the only summarit lens that comes with ASPH.

I hear good things about the 35mm. Got one on sale now too on B&S section :)

thanks a lot bro Bandi for your nice and detailed suggestions. Yes, I will never sell my awesome Prominent Nokton because it is such a unique lens. I am just drooling at the size/weight/color of the new Summarit. just read some review online that the new 35 Summarit has quite bad color fringe wide open. of course, it doesnt matter for b/w lovers. i guess I will go to the stores and get my hands on those cuties, but may not really invest on it. my 35 cron is awesome, but just a bit tired of its weight.

I have the Nokton and I used the 50/2.5 for about a year, they're both awesome. Optically you can scrutinize lenses to hell but that's not what makes a picture anyways. I find with a bit of processing I can intermix with the Nokton from the same project and no one will know (but I mostly stop down a bit and never really shoot color).

So option one, just stick with your Nokton, save money. Or at least look at the real reasons why you're not happy with it. I see you're a small lenses kind of person (good), so read on :)

Go for the Summarit if you want: super small and light, no finder blockage, smooth focusing ring (unlike the Nokton), comes with tab (doesn't need to bake sculpey to make an ugly one for the Nokton), short throw (quick autofocus), never needed a hood for it. Nice and contrasty, fairly smooth. Not an effect lens, gets out of the way, just delivers. I don't think you will carry both the Nokton and the Summarit at the same time.

Price: look at the forum, there are a few for a bit more than a grand. Buy the old one, you lose less money if you decide to sell, no one wants it as everyone is dreaming about lux and cron.

Just came back from CatheyPhoto and touched the new Summarit. The included metal hood is sexy, but the size is actually very close to my 35 Summicron. So gaved up!