Anyone tried GoDox Macro LED Ring light before?

torak

Sep 4, 2009
Happened to see this Godox LED ring light, and since Im interested in portraiture and macro photography, Im wondering if I should try this out.

Just seeing if anyone has used this or something similar before, can give some comments about such ring lights? The godox ring light is a continuous light, its not a flash. Will it be annoying or uncomfortable to the model when used in portrait photography? And for macros, do u still need to diffuse the light from the LED? Or is it ok to just leave it on without any form of diffuser?

Thanks

godox-macro-led-ring-light-camera-mounted.jpg

hmm, interesting to get some review on this too!
Personally, I tried this on with a 70-200 F4L non is at a shop b4. find e effect of the light nt really what I thought to be as the lens focus length need atleast 1.2m away from e subject..

however, now I got a canon 24-70, i think e shorter focus length will enable this ring light to be put to good use in portraiture shots? :)

Personally i use this ring light system, and I would say it ain't very strong compared to macro ring flashes. But if you are able to get close the the insects and not scaring them away, it will help.

For model shoots, i would not recommend it. Firstly, you won't be able to get the ring effect in theirs eyes if u are shooting at the distance (eg. using 70-200mm).
If you were to get close to the models, the lights would be very very glaring, and it will tire their eyes very easily.
Also it would not give the same shadows as ring flashes.

Pros:
-Cheaper than other ring flashes
-can switch to either left/right lighting, or just full ring light.

Cons:
-LED (blueish tint)
-Not as powerful as ring flash
-No power control
-No I-ttl/E-ttl ( if u need it )

Just my 2cents.

Anyone compared this with orbis?

Nope,never,interesting.