Anyone own a Panny HPX-172 yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibeiblur

Feb 5, 2008
Hi guys,

anyone bought this camera? Would love to hear some comments.

Apparently, many user in US and Europe have to return their camera to Panasonic for a quick fix on the lens.

Wonder whether Panny is going to release an A and then a B version like the DVX and HVX series :think:

any idea whats the best price for hpx 172 in singapore ? with 16bg p2 card will be great.

A HPX172 can't be brought from normal photo/video stores. It is a professional product - and only a few dealers are licensed to sell them. Don't bother about shops in Sim Lim Square - they are sharks. Normal price - including a 16GB P2 card is about $6,700. You can go to www.sensys.com.sg - that company is pretty good - service is first class. Check with them how much they are selling that camera for then.

That lens problem you read only affects the initial batch of HPX170 cameras. No HPX172 cameras are affected by that problem. HPX170 is the US version (60Hz). HPX172 is for 50Hz.

Do be aware the cost of the HPX172 isn't in the camera ... but the P2 cards. A 64GB P2 card currently is about $3,600 - so be warned.

A viable alternative to HPX172 (which uses P2 cards) will be the HMC152. Externally, the camera is the same as HPX172. Even uses the same 1/3" CCDs. Except that the HMC152 records on SDHC cards - which is very much cheaper than P2 cards.

P2 recordings are in DVCProHD codec, whereas HMC152 uses AVCHD codec at up to 23 (or maybe 21 mbits/sec). On the NLE side, all CPUs today can easily edit DVCProHD (100Mbits/sec) - but there are NONE today that will cope with AVCHD compression. So, a workflow for AVCHD involves a transcoding of AVCHD media into some other intermediate codec which is much better for CPUs to digest - Apple's ProResHD (if you use FCP) or Canopus HQ (if you use Glass Valley's EDIUS).

Only problems of the HMC152 (compared with HPX172) are -
a) No variable frame rate recordings
b) No hotswapping of recording media

Last edited:
A HPX172 can't be brought from normal photo/video stores. It is a professional product - and only a few dealers are licensed to sell them. Don't bother about shops in Sim Lim Square - they are sharks. Normal price - including a 16GB P2 card is about $6,700. You can go to www.sensys.com.sg - that company is pretty good - service is first class. Check with them how much they are selling that camera for then.

That lens problem you read only affects the initial batch of HPX170 cameras. No HPX172 cameras are affected by that problem. HPX170 is the US version (60Hz). HPX172 is for 50Hz.

Do be aware the cost of the HPX172 isn't in the camera ... but the P2 cards. A 64GB P2 card currently is about $3,600 - so be warned.

A viable alternative to HPX172 (which uses P2 cards) will be the HMC152. Externally, the camera is the same as HPX172. Even uses the same 1/3" CCDs. Except that the HMC152 records on SDHC cards - which is very much cheaper than P2 cards.

P2 recordings are in DVCProHD codec, whereas HMC152 uses AVCHD codec at up to 23 (or maybe 21 mbits/sec). On the NLE side, all CPUs today can easily edit DVCProHD (100Mbits/sec) - but there are NONE today that will cope with AVCHD compression. So, a workflow for AVCHD involves a transcoding of AVCHD media into some other intermediate codec which is much better for CPUs to digest - Apple's ProResHD (if you use FCP) or Canopus HQ (if you use Glass Valley's EDIUS).

Only problems of the HMC152 (compared with HPX172) are -
a) No variable frame rate recordings
b) No hotswapping of recording media

Thanks for the compliment.
Anyone interested in this camera, can contact me at 97342766.

Got the AGHPX172EN from Sensys last week. Excellent service and I was lucky to get the sales manager to entertain me. Got the cam plus 2 16GB p2 cards, additional battery and the small kata+the free barry green book. He said its the 'bible' to read for pana HVX and HPX users hehe..

Having used a PD170, it felt awkward at 1st, but finally getting the hang of it.

Pros for me;
1. Light. since it doesnt have a tape mechanism, unlike the HVX202 (which is cheaper tho).
2. The wide angle lens, starting at 28mm.
3. Battery life. surprised since i tot only Sony had the ahem..stamina :).
4. future proof. HD-SDI, FW etc components.
5. Undercranking and overcranking capability..woohooo...and realtime playback on cam.
6. scene files..
7. Panasonic Website support.
8. Picture Quality and color rendition.

Cons for me;
1. Low res lcd monitor.
2. Uses P2 cards which is still fairly expensive. I said fairly coz its not as expensive as it used to be. Price will come down tho. Hopefully.
3. the learning curve. Since im used to SD workflow, working with tapeless workflow made me learn the necessary files/processes needed for editing on FCP. Love the 'free' calibratedQT.
4. Focus and iris 'ring' consolidated.
5. Thick Barry Green book hehehe...what can i say. im a lazy reader, so i learn on the fly..hands on.:sticktong

still learning the camera and will be using it 'hand in hand' with the 5dmk2 hehe..soon for a music video and cooking show haha..

keep me posted guys..

all in all..a really good camera, even phillip bloom nearly bought one, but of course he went for the sgd12k Sony Ex3 hehe..

solved thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.