anyone into turntable and vinyl records?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dEthANGeL said:
Should be the Thorens TD-150. Very old TT ... :(

That's a very good turntable.

If you don't want it ......

Robert said:
That's a very good turntable.

If you don't want it ......

:bsmilie: ... its my dad's he's still using it ... i'm after the 1210 MKii for my own setup.

Supposed to help him send down to a repair shop @ Bedok... don't have the time yet.

marmaladecorgi said:
Hi everyone,

BTW, if you live in the US, the great advantage is that there is still a LOT of software available - including some really cheap yard sale stuff. Check out the Audio Asylum page for the Vinyl Asylum. Again like Echoloft, full of helpful fascinating people and fun facts from Vinyl crazies.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Jim

hey thanks Jim,

yup...am living in the states for now and just bought 16 jazz records from ebay (bundled sale) :) But not too sure what type of turn table to get :dunno: should i get those with inbuilt speakers?? which brand should i be looking at? should i get a vintage one or modern? don't intend to invest too much yet....what are the feautures that are the 'must have' for turn tables? thanks so much!

dEthANGeL said:
:bsmilie: ... its my dad's he's still using it ... i'm after the 1210 MKii for my own setup.

Supposed to help him send down to a repair shop @ Bedok... don't have the time yet.

I'd skip the Bedok place (didn't have good experience there).

There is a shop at the basement of Adelphi (Memory Lane, I think) who can do the repairs better. Look for Adrian.

Hi,

If you are really on a super-tight budget, you could do no worse than this I reckon:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.-109/it.A/id.852/.f

The Audio-Technica PL 50 - The top of the bottom of the line!

Pros: Fully automatic; has a built-in phono preamplifier (you need a phono preamp if you have a cheap amplifier made after 1980 without a "phono" input jack); best sound you can get for USD74.50 and above

Cons: No option for changing the cartridge (you can change the stylus needle though); for CD-beating sound, you really need to get a Pro-ject Debut or Rega Planar 2 (plus a decent phono preamp) turntable.

Like I said before, best option especially in the US, is to get good pre-owned starter decks on ebay. Ebay is full of Rega Planar 2s and 3s. Buy one with a cartridge (the square bit with the needle on the end) already installed, add a Hagerman Bugle phono preamp: http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html, plug it into your amplifier's "Aux" input, slap on a record, enjoy!

BTW - The Rega Planar 3 was (alongside being a veterinarian!) a childhood dream of mine. Simple and beautiful - and they come in a rainbow of colours. I truly envy all of you who live Stateside. Everything is available on-line and most Ebayers deliver "United States only"!

Good luck and happy hunting

Jim

Any updates to this thread ?

dEthANGeL said:
A walk around adelphi amazes me as some shops actually playing LPs that sound much like CD (yes its that good) ... these are one of the factors i'm thinking of going to LP. Seriously in SG we lack the software, not sure where i can find new age / vocals / smooth jazz kind of material on LPs, and they usually cost a bomb.

I didnt notice this thread before :) I read this and I burst out laughing. Not to diss the poster but those of us who Have our vinyl and needles, do it because the sound is better than CD.

I have a decent system and a CD player that costs 3 times my record player and phono stage combined. but given a choice... I still pick my records anytime.

Of course, YMMV because there wil be the occasional pop or crackling sound. but for sheer musical involvement and a sense of scale and the feeling of 'being there' CDs just dont do it.

The debate between CDs and LPs is very much like the debate between film and digital in the photography context.

The advantage of CDs is convenience but you can't match the quality of the audio experience in LPs. This is especially so if you use tube amplifiers and match them with the correct speakers. If you think photography is an expensive hobby, wait till you get into hifi! :bigeyes:

Soyuz said:
The debate between CDs and LPs is very much like the debate between film and digital in the photography context.

This is correct to some extend….

Technically and theoretically, CD should be better than LP.

But the fact is, Music reproduction from the front end (LP, CD) to the rear end (Speaker) needs more than just a perfect source. The information contain in the CD is so much that we normally need very strong D/A converter, Pre, power amp and a good speaker to correctly produce the music. Sound produce by LP is easier to manage due to the lower bandwidth.

In short, it is easier to produce good and easy listening music with LP than CD. The recording of music onto CD and the LP make a different as well.

But till now, I’m yet to hear a better sounding CD than the LP. Even on an exceptionally good hi-fi system.

Although LP needs cleaning, changing side, cartridge alignment etc, but this the fun of it… At least for some.

finally bought myself a record turntable and am loving it :lovegrin:

got a large collection of LP records too ....now dunno how to ship them all back home to Singapore :sweat:

loving the sounds from the 50s and 60s...

Hey, you guys missed out the Pink Triangle!

swimcraze said:
finally bought myself a record turntable and am loving it :lovegrin:

got a large collection of LP records too ....now dunno how to ship them all back home to Singapore :sweat:

loving the sounds from the 50s and 60s...

There is something about the sound of old record that cannot be replaced by modern CDs. To me, even watching the record spin on the turntable gives me great joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.