Anyone here from Temasek Poly? Need help with ques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabbatical

Jun 17, 2004
Bishan
My previous thread's title din seem to get the help I need - So I created a new one :sweatsm:
Thanks Roy, and apologies for not having removed the dup. before I started another one. :embrass:

My question is - How to shoot those "droplet splashes". :dunno:

I just watched this programme on Channel U on Tuesday night at 9.30pm
- "Project Y II Y计划 - 行行出状元"
It was introducing some guy studying design in Temasek and all.

At the end of the show, when the credits were rolling, I saw this part where there was a group of students in a studio dripping some orange coloured liquid into a huge tank of water. The setup seemed to be a single backlit for the tank of water, and the resulting photos were multiple freeze frames of orange droplet splashes. (They were using a DSLR & computer)

I am assuming that the orange liquid compound is slightly heavier than water causing it to slow down enough for non-flash photo capture of it splashing into the bottom of the tank of water. :think:

Anyone have any idea what that whole setup is or what the liquid compound is?
If you have friends studying design in TP, pls help to ask, I would really like to find out more.
Thanks lots! :)

Shot wasnt by TP.
Was a studio, not sure if its Calibre Pictures.
Perhaps someone else can confirm.

get a cam capable of high frame rate (5 or 8 fps) as you drip, study the timing during the trial and error runs and during actual shoot fire away your machine gun.

Else if you want 1 shot 1 kill, use an electronic trigger easily* made with an optical trigger (like james bong movies when you have a light source in movies normally red line of laser on 1 side and when you cut the light beam something happens, in this case your shutter trips). Again this method also need some trial/error setup to time when the drop hits the water surface after cutting the 'light beam'/sensor.

*easy is relative, sorry. Easy for ppl who know how.. costly (to buy) for ppl who doesn't.

Thanks firestone, but i was not refering to the filming of the programme but rather the scene at the end where the programme filmed a group of students in a studio actually doing a photo session.

Also many thanks to yanyewkay, I supposed what you mention would be the case for a normal "droplet splash" scenario. But I think I was not clear in describing the scene I saw in the programme.

Let me try again - :think:
In the studio with the students' setup, there was a large clear tank of water that was backlit with defused continuous uninterupted light source, then the programme closed in on a girl student releasing an orange liquid compound into the water, using a syringe, just below the water surface.
The orange compound did not dissolve into the water but formed droplets and kinda "floated" down to the bottom of the tank of water, creating a slow-mo splashing effect as each orange droplet hit the bottom of the tank.

Anyone seen this technique before? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.