Anyone has the DA 20-40mm?

neon2

Jan 29, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone here is using a DA 20-40mm lens? Any comments about it?

I have used it before, solid build quality, just the design body style is different from other DA limited lens,

compact zoom, and slimmer than the traditional DA 18-55mm kit zoom, but not as compact as those DA 35mm prime size.

f2.8 on 20mm is good and sharp, but you may find sometimes not wide enough for group shot, (since you use it as a zoom, most likely you may use it for both group and portrait use)

40mm f4 is a bit slow for indoor use, for outdoor, it is fine and good sharpness wide open. however there are so many fast 50mm f1.4, f1.8, f2.8 around, also pancake DA 40mm f2.8

so I feel it is more designed for travel use and it's weather sealed for raining weather and kid water play area. also plus it is only few pentax lens with fast slient DC motor, feel like as fast focus as those canon, nikon lens.

-------------

overall, it is a nice lens to have, but its limited range and aperture make it a bit tough to compete with DA 35 f2.4, DA 35mm f2.8, DA40mm f2.8 sitting near it as all-in-one prime solution.

The only unique advantage is its 20mm f2.8, since there is no other alternative Pentax lens has this focal lens at this aperture speed at its compact size, only nearby it DA 21mm f3.2,

so if you want a good quality compact travel zoom with weather seal, and you want the premium design and feel, DA 20-40mm DC WR is the perfect choice.

if you want a much cheaper alternative, then DA 18-50mm f4-5.6 DC WR RE, you get same weather seel and more compactness, but you lose aperture speed and wide open sharpness; or same much cheaper alternative like Tamron SP 17-50mm f2.8 (which I'm currently selling one in BnS), you get fast aperture and much better wide angle, but you lose compactness and weather seal and slience focus.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-18-50mm-f4-56-dc-wr-re.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-20-40mm-f2.8-4-limited-dc-wr.html

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone here is using a DA 20-40mm lens? Any comments about it?

Hi Neon2, I have the Da 20-40 limited. It is my favourite walk around lens, limited lens quality with quiet autofocus and WR. Even though at 40mm the aperture is only 4.0, the seperation between subject and background is quite good. It is a good lens for environmental portraits as well as landscapes. Good for travel and general purpose use. It is plenty sharp and resistant to flare to a great extent and produces nice colors. If you can get a good deal, I would definitely recommend it.

Regards,
JK

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 26
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 25