Anyone has done a non-safari trip to Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
has been on my mind to aim in going in 2008-2009 but my interest is not a safari-and-resort kind of trip, neither the typical urban south africa kind of trip, but to have some variety with regards to their social life.

my concern is with cost and safety. seems that flying there is definitely going to cost >1k or much higher, but i ain't sure. i dun see many going there. hence would like to see how far did our singaporeans backpacking photographers goes to see how realistic is my idea.

Yup I've been there before, mainly for climbing mountain even though we warped it up with safari.

One thing to caution though, Africans don't like their pics to be taken, as they believe their souls would be trapped inside the photo. Those willing to let you shot are usually aiming for your money.

Yup I've been there before, mainly for climbing mountain even though we warped it up with safari.

One thing to caution though, Africans don't like their pics to be taken, as they believe their souls would be trapped inside the photo. Those willing to let you shot are usually aiming for your money.

kilimanjaro? nope nope, i'm more of a sightseeing cum photographing kind of person, shooting people and things that surround them, be it animals, landscape or architecture. i'm actually interested in somaliland for the people culture (which is the most attractive part) over there and general safety, however the visa issue, the neighbouring threat from somalia and the enforcement of visitor's warning due to somalia is really holding me back, on top of the cost of flight.

by the way, how much did you spend on the flight and overall cost?

While traveling, met quite a few backpackers who went to Africa before.

seems like a fun place to go to. according to one of them, if u go to french speaking part of africa do beware those who approach you speaking english (e.g. asking for $).

Status
Not open for further replies.