Anyone familiar with Nikon DSLR's mirror chamber components?

It depends on how you look at it. For people who uses their equipments for business or as a profession and for long period of time. Equipment maintenance is important and we will need to factor in repair cost in the long run. And keeping the cost of repair low is one of the key factors in managing a sustainable business too. Being a NPS member does have it perks when you are one to begin with. One of the key benefits is that your repair cost is cheaper by 20% for NPS member if i'm not wrong.

They have revised the criteria for condition 1. In the past, you are qualified as long as you have a registered photography related business. I would imagine that membership was exposed to a lot of abuses.

They have revised the criteria for condition 1. In the past, you are qualified as long as you have a registered photography related business. I would imagine that membership was exposed to a lot of abuses.

And even so, it's still subject to abuses. It just cost you a few bucks to register a business entity under sole proprietorship with ACRA and you would have fulfilled condition 1)

I mean.. if people would go to that extend for the NPS, but I guess there would be still people doing it :bsmilie:

And even so, it's still subject to abuses. It just cost you a few bucks to register a business entity under sole proprietorship with ACRA and you would have fulfilled condition 1)

I mean.. if people would go to that extend for the NPS, but I guess there would be still people doing it :bsmilie:

I never bother myself with those.

there you go.....:bsmilie:

Unmentioned on the website, they also want a copy of the warranty cards filled up to be sent in.

Doh. It took me hours to dig-out all the boxes to retrieve the serial numbers of my equipment. After sending in, they want the warranty cards. To hell with NPS.

Also, loan of replacement equipment is subject to availability. If they are all loaned out, they can only loan you something usable which you might not even want to use. Doesn't mean you send in 10 D4s, they will loan you 10 D4s back, probably 2 D1, 2 D2s, 3 D3100/5100.

Initially I wanted to save some cost in applying for the NPS membership. Then after reviewing all the T&Cs and the requirements each conditions. I told myself save myself the time and start to look for more business ^^

Unmentioned on the website, they also want a copy of the warranty cards filled up to be sent in.

Doh. It took me hours to dig-out all the boxes to retrieve the serial numbers of my equipment. After sending in, they want the warranty cards. To hell with NPS.

Also, loan of replacement equipment is subject to availability. If they are all loaned out, they can only loan you something usable which you might not even want to use. Doesn't mean you send in 10 D4s, they will loan you 10 D4s back, probably 2 D1, 2 D2s, 3 D3100/5100.

Well I think the intention wasn't meant to be like that.

If you are a business that owns a whooping 10 D4s, I think you should have enough back up plan. Same to the seasoned professionals, I think all of them do have back up bodies.

I'm not familiar with NPS rules, but I know CPS functions in a way say, if I go overseas and unluckily my only cam broke down and needed a repair - I can send in for repair there (if time permits) and I can get a loaner. If it's the same model, good. If it's some other similar model, it's probably better than nothing. I think probably NPS would be something like this, IDK, never used this before but it's a certain welcome feature.

Initially I wanted to save some cost in applying for the NPS membership. Then after reviewing all the T&Cs and the requirements each conditions. I told myself save myself the time and start to look for more business ^^

Truth.

Well I think the intention wasn't meant to be like that.

If you are a business that owns a whooping 10 D4s, I think you should have enough back up plan. Same to the seasoned professionals, I think all of them do have back up bodies.

I'm not familiar with NPS rules, but I know CPS functions in a way say, if I go overseas and unluckily my only cam broke down and needed a repair - I can send in for repair there (if time permits) and I can get a loaner. If it's the same model, good. If it's some other similar model, it's probably better than nothing. I think probably NPS would be something like this, IDK, never used this before but it's a certain welcome feature.

It's not about backup plan, the reason for having so many bodies is because they're the backups. If we were to service them regularly, we would want to send them all in at the same time to cut down many trips of sending in the equipment.

I don't want to make 10 trips to send in 10 batches of equipment for servicing just to convenience NPS because they don't have enough loan units.

Imagine hungry ghost festival, it's the best time to send in equipment. I send in all my arsenal for servicing, then left with nothing? Cannot be ma... always need standby just in case.

It's not about backup plan, the reason for having so many bodies is because they're the backups. If we were to service them regularly, we would want to send them all in at the same time to cut down many trips of sending in the equipment.

I don't want to make 10 trips to send in 10 batches of equipment for servicing just to convenience NPS because they don't have enough loan units.

Imagine hungry ghost festival, it's the best time to send in equipment. I send in all my arsenal for servicing, then left with nothing? Cannot be ma... always need standby just in case.

Not sure what's your business logic. I've never seen a business sending in all their essential equipments for maintenance all at one go. At the least, 2 batches. The loaner unit is just a benefit, no freaking SC will keep a few hundred top notch equipments in their place as loan equipments lol. :bsmilie:

Not sure what's your business logic. I've never seen a business sending in all their essential equipments for maintenance all at one go. At the least, 2 batches. The loaner unit is just a benefit, no freaking SC will keep a few hundred top notch equipments in their place as loan equipments lol. :bsmilie:

Time.... the essence. Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I would prefer 1 trip, than 3 trips (send, collect/send, collect).

Sorry TS for replying so late. From what I know shutter replacement will be about $500++ at Nikon for the D3s (My friend was charged near $600).

They replace not only the shutter, but along with the lever, lever-shutter sync unit & probably also the AF-D motor. It is a "modular replacement" as Kirei has said. You can insist to replace only 1 suspected part, but the technician will also then refuse to warrant the camera like if you did the $500 - $600 repair, which would be 3 mths warranty. If you do not see black lines on the exposure at high shutter speeds, it is probably not a shutter problem.

Last edited:
Sorry TS for replying so late. From what I know shutter replacement will be about $500++ at Nikon for the D3s (My friend was charged near $600).

They replace not only the shutter, but along with the lever, lever-shutter sync unit & probably also the AF-D motor. It is a "modular replacement" as Kirei has said. You can insist to replace only 1 suspected part, but the technician will also then refuse to warrant the camera like if you did the $500 - $600 repair, which would be 3 mths warranty. If you do not see black lines on the exposure at high shutter speeds, it is probably not a shutter problem.

Yeah exactly as you said. There's no freaking wrong with the shutter, I highly suspect it's the aperture control mechanism. There is nothing wrong with shooting or even high speed burst, just that at random times the lever did not return fully.

Well, sent in for the repair. $550 round up with GST and 6 months warranty from them.

Shutter replacement it self cost less than $200 but over $150. Can't recall the exact price. The shutter was $1XX, the I-base plate was $1XX, together with general servicing cost of $200 and GST, it amounts to $550 in total.

Took them 3-4 business days to complete the repair.

Yeah exactly as you said. There's no freaking wrong with the shutter, I highly suspect it's the aperture control mechanism. There is nothing wrong with shooting or even high speed burst, just that at random times the lever did not return fully.

Well, sent in for the repair. $550 round up with GST and 6 months warranty from them.

Shutter replacement it self cost less than $200 but over $150. Can't recall the exact price. The shutter was $1XX, the I-base plate was $1XX, together with general servicing cost of $200 and GST, it amounts to $550 in total.

Took them 3-4 business days to complete the repair.

Kind of common, it's faster to replace than to repair. Even car ADs also do the same. To fix that 1 wire in a module ~ 2 day dismantle, wire etc..., might as well just replace the entire module - 2 hours.

Kind of common, it's faster to replace than to repair. Even car ADs also do the same. To fix that 1 wire in a module ~ 2 day dismantle, wire etc..., might as well just replace the entire module - 2 hours.

Yeah. Oh well. :bsmilie: