Anyone ever knows how to read the printed values behind your prints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
This thread was sparked off from Prismatic's comments from the Fuji Press 800 thread over @ http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=49121&page=2

Prismatic said:
Either that or you have under-exposed your shots/ or some parts of your shots, so the developer pushed the printing of your pictures. Check the print data to find out. The ideal should be zeros for most of the values.

As we've all noticed, there are some imprinted values behind the prints that we have, and I was wondering as to anyone knows how to really interpret the values out?

And one more question is that does the format of the value fields differ between machines (ie, Frontiers, Agfa, Noritsu etc etc)?

Thanks!

Zerstorer said:

Thanks! I realised that this is a Noritsu specific string, anyone has any idea abot Fuji Frontier machines?

As I quote from the site,

Most Noritsu and some Frontier machines imprint a status string on the back of the prints that provides an indication of the print settings. If the status string exists, it may contain a series of numbers or letters, then the sequence N N N N followed by more numbers and letters. If any of the single "N" characters has a "+" or "-" sign following it, this shows one or more color channels was set to an adjusted value. For example if the string is N N N+2 N, one channel was bumped two notches. Tell the lab to reprint your files. This is also a useful check when you print files using a profile. Do not be concerned if there is no status string. Many labs do not print one.
Noritsu specific status strings: An example status string is as follows:

8121 11 N N N N NN AS+02 Zxxx/xxx
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Field [1] can contain any of a number of pieces of information, including date, order number, etc. None of this directly pertains to the printing mode.
Field [2] has the print color channel information. Values other than a single N, with no "+" or "-" sign, indicate that a print channel was adjusted. Have your files reprinted without corrections.
Field [3] should always be NN, "---", or simply not be present for digital media. It relates to the film scanner module settings.
Field [4] will often not be present. That is ideal no automatic adjustments were applied. If it does appear, the most common codes are "AS" and "AC" which stand for Automatic Saturation and Contrast. If these, or any other code is present with a "+XX" value, ask for the target to be reprinted with all Media Corrections and DSA (Digital Scan Adjustment)/Judgment Image Correction settings disabled.
Field [5] contains cropping status and may or may not be present. Its value does not matter

The formatting of the string is a tad screwed up here, so go to the site for more info.
This tallies with my prints from RGB, but the Konota prints that I have do not correspond with this string format... :)

Anyone knows how to interpret the string of code by Standard Colour Centre? I dun even know what kind of machine for processing the negative film I send to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.