Anyone else already affected by flight cancellations due to volcanic ash?

SIA did the right and smart thing.
It paid for its customers to stay at hotels.
It took care of them in a time of crisis.

People remember this.
Other people who travelled on other airlines and were not taken care of by those airlines also observe and remember this (not to fly those other airlines).

SIA got some customers for life after this.

The PR mileage and goodwill that accrues is tremendous.
This is a great opportunity to show how special, diffferent and excellent SIA is, compared to other airlines.

Last edited:

People remember this.
Other people who travelled on other airlines and were not taken care of by those airlines also observe and remember this (not to fly those other airlines).

Many airlines in the EU are obliged to do that too. my fren (in fact, the whole plane) was sponsored by British Airways for accommodation at a 5* hotel near the airport

People remember this.

This is a great opportunity to show how special, diffferent and excellent SIA is, compared to other airlines.
is it, i remember a newspaper report where a couple, one took sia, one took mas.

the sia one sit in changi airport and eat cup noodles.

the mas sit in 4 star hotel and eat buffet meals. :bsmilie:

Many airlines in the EU are obliged to do that too. my fren (in fact, the whole plane) was sponsored by British Airways for accommodation at a 5* hotel near the airport

Watched TV few days ago and the news showed a man stranded in Europe saying the hotels there scalp them. In the morning rate was 500 Euros per room per day. By Noon it was 800 Euros. By night it was 1,200 Euros. Looks like some of the EU airlines dumped the so called obligations to house these people in hotels and foot the bills for them.

aleqm5hjlb7qwqbc5ipyt4o.jpg

Here it comes again.

"Aviation Expert" turns part-time "Volcanologist" and lament 20 years disruption possible. :rolleyes:

Latest volcanic ash cloud advisory and graphical data available here.

Date and time format in YYYYMMDD/HHMM Zulu (Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)).
+8 hours to convert to Singapore Standard Time (SST).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terminology used:

SFC - Surface
FL200 - Flight Level 200 (20,000 ft)
FL350 - Flight Level 350 (35,000 ft)

Last edited:
Oh great, when I book my ticket for next month, a few days later they announed that the cabin crew going on strike.....and the ash is back..... faintz....

Oh great, when I book my ticket for next month, a few days later they announed that the cabin crew going on strike.....and the ash is back..... faintz....
There is no end in sight to this volcanic eruption and it could go on and on and on for a very long period of time. How long exactly? Nobody knows precisely. :dunno:

As of now meteorologists and volcanologists are refining atmospheric dispersion and forecasting models for volcanic ashes against actual empirical data obtained from recent observations. :)

Aircraft manufacturers along with civil aviation regulatory authorities are also investigating with the intention of implementing any possible safe limit for ingestation of microscopic pulverized rock particles into aircraft jet engines. :think:

Last edited: