Anyone can share their experience with the Nikon 50mm F1.2 AIS MF lens

wcsiaw

Sep 17, 2004
Central
Hi,

I have bought the lens recently and was playing around with my D700. I noticed something then when I click to take pictures of my D700, the 50mm 1.2 lens vibrates. Sometimes if your hands are placed on the focusing ring, it might cause the focusing ring to move.

Anyone with the same experience or have I gotten a faulty set?

Regards,
Linus

Could you explain in detail the 'vibration' that you felt? Did the lens really go out of focus? My copy is wonderful to work with. Its near impossible for your mirror slap to vibrate the entire focus ring of the lens!

i also have this vibration feeling when i feel the focusing ring while using the ai/ais lenses. shouldn't be a problem if you dont touch it although i didnt have any oof doing so :)

Could you explain in detail the 'vibration' that you felt? Did the lens really go out of focus? My copy is wonderful to work with. Its near impossible for your mirror slap to vibrate the entire focus ring of the lens!

Hi.. Just that when you focus and hold the ring and your click your camera, there's a vibration and cause your hands to move a little and thus move the focus ring...

Hmmm.. My 20mm AIS not giving me this problem.. That's why I am asking.. Hehe thanks!

Hi,

I have bought the lens recently and was playing around with my D700. I noticed something then when I click to take pictures of my D700, the 50mm 1.2 lens vibrates. Sometimes if your hands are placed on the focusing ring, it might cause the focusing ring to move.

Anyone with the same experience or have I gotten a faulty set?

Regards,
Linus

hmm, so you are saying, as the mirror slaps (which will cause some kind of vibration), then passes the vibration into you and the lens (which is perfectly normal), and as your hand is still on the focusing ring (which might be loose / tight depending on the condition of the lens), you accidentally turn the ring / the ring accidentally turn due to your hand due to that vibration?

Sounds logical to me. ;p

though I never encounter oof images due to that,
maybe your focusing ring is too loose?

i feel it on almost all the better AIS lenses i use. i was really worried about it at first, but i ve found it really doesnt affect anything.

it feels as though its moving, but it really isnt. hope you like the lens! haven't gone fx yet, but its beautiful on film. try the 135 f2 AIS too sometime. superb piece of glass! :D

btw, its not mirror slap but the aperture closing. i think it only happens on the lenses with v big apertures tt have to close v fast. so far i ve noticed it on e 50 1.2, 35 f2 pre ai, 50 1.8 AIS Mk3, 135 f2 (very slight), vivitar 105 f2.5 macro.

Last edited: