Any special plate glass that can shoot without or less reflections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a very, very important assignment and cannot be outsource.

OK, had a good long chat with DM and it's not a painting which I earlier though but a poster.

From the looks of things, the curling is not like what we would expect when we roll up a poster. As the poster itself is rather thick and old, it crack from top to bottom at various part of the poster when you roll it out flat, these crack lines are from top to bottom at various part and are close to each other forming an inderpandent "U" shape, try drawing a straight line and at intermitten point draw a "u" shape followed by the straight line again without breaking the line. There are a few "U" shapes along the whole poster and that's how the side view of the poster look like.

Due to the thickness of the poster and the nature of the crack lines which form the "U" shapes, I don't think it would be possible to recopy the poster without some form of restoration done first.

why not just buy/print another one?

if they got themselves a restorer and a photographer to recopy + DI work, I don't think so easy to just buy or print another one :bsmilie:

if they got themselves a restorer and a photographer to recopy + DI work, I don't think so easy to just buy or print another one :bsmilie:

must be some antique poster

nothing is impossible, try ebay or something like that

Hello,
How to take a photo of a fish in a medium-size, glass acquarium without reflection/glare from the glass - use a CPL or some thing better

Hello,
How to take a photo of a fish in a medium-size, glass acquarium without reflection/glare from the glass - use a CPL or some thing better

shoot at an angle with a CPL or with your flash flat in contact with the glass of the acquarium. Play around with the flash but generally, bounce or off cam flash should be used.

hello, thank you. try to experiment with tripod, CPL and ext. flash if lightinh condition is not uod enough. There is only one big Arowana. So it should not be too difficult to compose, using Liveview.

It's been so long that I'm not sure what's on the market now ... :sweat:

Has anyone heard of any kind of HEAVY plate glass that has lesser reflections but still allows me to photograph printed materials faithfully? Don't think that normal frosted glass used for display will cut it.

I need to shoot badly curled up posters, and need very heavy glass to flatten the posters.

I was wondering if such glass exist, and where to get it locally.

Hi DM, have a few ideas for you but maybe you want to reveal any budget you might have for equipment if you need to buy glass or acrylic and whether it is possible to spend money on specialty glass.
Copying with fixed lights are easier because we can control reflections.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the involved discussions and suggestions.

While I have shot paintings and art exhibition catalogs before, this would have been an interesting project, to say the least!

The posters hold historical value. The original manufacturers have been contacted, and we found out that the posters have been out of production for more than a quarter of a century. I did not research how long the manufacturers have been in existance, but that's beside the point, other than from an academic angle at this moment, and since I am not the restorer.

Due to the nature of the extensive damage, it was decided not to rush the project and use something else instead. The posters are THAT damaged.

As YQT has pointed out, some form of restoration would be needed before anything can be done. There's no way the restorer can rush it. Also, restoration looks like it's going to cost a bomb, and as with any important decision involving irreplaceable documents and large amounts of money ...

What Ortega said might come true, and copies in good or better condition become available on ebay or some other source.

Meanwhile, let's wish client the best and hope that their restoration efforts, if they proceed, will be a success.

Hope this thread may serve as a reference for others should they have similar challenges in the future.

Last edited:
If your client said that he bought one on ebay, check if he's on CS and saw this thread, if he is, sent the bill to Ortega for lost opportunity :bsmilie:

why don't you tell me what the poster is about and i look for it on ebay then sell it to your customer for a gazillion dollars
then i give you 10% of the profits :devil:

:bsmilie:
If your client said that he bought one on ebay, check if he's on CS and saw this thread, if he is, sent the bill to Ortega for lost opportunity :

:bsmilie:

why don't you tell me what the poster is about and i look for it on ebay then sell it to your customer for a gazillion dollars
then i give you 10% of the profits :devil:

Eh? Tot YQT sent you the photos I took?

If you find the posters in good condition AND manage to charge my clients a gazilion lollies with 10% towards my coffers, I'll buy e-bay and google for you. :bsmilie:

If your client said that he bought one on ebay, check if he's on CS and saw this thread, if he is, sent the bill to Ortega for lost opportunity :bsmilie:

Hell yeah! :devil: :cool:

OK, what's Unker O's address? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.