Any Ricoh GX100 user out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting camera.....

got the camera, with full confident due to previous Ricoh + SLR experience, switch to "A", set some ISO, image setting, and start shooting indoor. With subject as my baby boy.....the 1st impression was : "OMG...this is a crappy camera ! 100% of my picture turn out out of focus..."

almost heartbroken, read the the manual, try the setting.......again.....bad noise and resolution ! (indoor, as compare with my good old D70 with 50mm F1.4)

okay, with the fact that so many good comments here and at other website from SLR user, i said to myself may be camera have problem, BUT then i found this menu - Focus - Multi-focus, SPOT focus.....emm, heard SPOT meter before but never hear spot focus before, nevermind, let try.....Bingo, that's equal to "single area" focus in SLR term....and my baby pic turn out sharp now !

ok, tried outdoor, yes, multi-focus is really use full for a wide angle outdoor + wide depth of field focus......

Alamak....Ricoh should have set default Spot focus rather then the multi-focus, (very similar to those closet object priority, face priority or dynamic area focus which till now i never really now how it works......)

i feel i'm go back to good old analog day........u will not know how you picture turn out till u post process.....hahaha

So envious of you...

I bought my GX100 about few days before my son was born. I already got a 30D so the GX100 was supposed to be tag-along camera wherever I go... and also for my handsome baby boy.

Happily snapping with the GX100 during and after my wife delivery... Snapping every single happy and joyous moment... The GX100 was a truly amazing camera. Love every single bit of it... The colour is so natural. And the manual function is so like a DSLR.

Then, last 2 days... At night about 8pm, brought my baby boy out and was carrying him in the baby car seat in one hand and holding my camera in the other hand. I placed my camera on top of my car and placed the baby seat in the cradle. I totally forgotten about the camera on my car roof. I entered my car and drove off...... That was the last time I saw my GX100... I only had it for less than 2 months....

Feeling very sad.... Will be leaving SG soon... In need another compact camera. Thinking of getting another GX100..... sigh!

interesting camera.....

got the camera, with full confident due to previous Ricoh + SLR experience, switch to "A", set some ISO, image setting, and start shooting indoor. With subject as my baby boy.....the 1st impression was : "OMG...this is a crappy camera ! 100% of my picture turn out out of focus..."

almost heartbroken, read the the manual, try the setting.......again.....bad noise and resolution ! (indoor, as compare with my good old D70 with 50mm F1.4)

okay, with the fact that so many good comments here and at other website from SLR user, i said to myself may be camera have problem, BUT then i found this menu - Focus - Multi-focus, SPOT focus.....emm, heard SPOT meter before but never hear spot focus before, nevermind, let try.....Bingo, that's equal to "single area" focus in SLR term....and my baby pic turn out sharp now !

ok, tried outdoor, yes, multi-focus is really use full for a wide angle outdoor + wide depth of field focus......

Alamak....Ricoh should have set default Spot focus rather then the multi-focus, (very similar to those closet object priority, face priority or dynamic area focus which till now i never really now how it works......)

i feel i'm go back to good old analog day........u will not know how you picture turn out till u post process.....hahaha

Any 1 experiences purple stripe of light while looking through the view finder or the LCD SCREEn? is it normal or its a defective set?
it happens while pointing the lens towards the light.

Any 1 experiences purple stripe of light while looking through the view finder or the LCD SCREEn? is it normal or its a defective set?

my canon pns also have this behavior if that helps.

AFAIK this is a natural process when extremely bright lighting hits the CCD sensor.

I am presently using this camera for mostly brightly lit situations.
I am not a pro and my subjects are mainly my children .... they dont stop and pose for me ..
This compact is really different from other compacts ....
Have to try it to experience ... when its good, its so good .... its scary ... when its bad ... you will think that its a phone camera ...
No point explaining to casual users about this camera .... they will never understand ... and they dont need this camera.
I have no issue with this camera in bright outdoor shoots ....

Am looking at a camera that is fast and suited for fast actions ... thinking of the Fujiflim FX100fd .... any other recommendations? Presently using a Canon A620 but I can only use up to 2GB card with it ...

I am not a pro and my subjects are mainly my children .... they dont stop and pose for me ..
Have to try it to experience ... when its good, its so good .... its scary ... when its bad ... you will think that its a phone camera ...
No point explaining to casual users about this camera .... they will never understand ... and they dont need this camera.

Am looking at a camera that is fast and suited for fast actions ... thinking of the Fujiflim FX100fd .... any other recommendations? Presently using a Canon A620 but I can only use up to 2GB card with it ...

you can use snap focus or manually preset a focus distance when shooting children who don't stop for you.

Why don't u just up the iso and shutter speed? Learn how to act and snap fast for children. It will look better than a pose shot, natural is the word.

well, GX100 is not well known for its high ISO pictures in color .... but in B&W, thats another story.

I'm having problem shooting moving/fast moving subject with this camera. Anyone can advise. Thx.:sweat:

Try snap focus, your focusing point would be around 2.5 metres.

Check your shutter speed if you're shooting in manual mode also. You may have set a slower one accidentally.

Not use to not having shutter mode as i always use my SLR. I tried but fail to get the correct settings.

I'm having problem shooting moving/fast moving subject with this camera. Anyone can advise. Thx.:sweat:

Try snap focus, your focusing point would be around 2.5 metres.

Check your shutter speed if you're shooting in manual mode also. You may have set a slower one accidentally.

Not use to not having shutter mode as i always use my SLR. I tried but fail to get the correct settings.

as suggested by blue_quartz, snap focus works if you know how to implement it for the situation.

some examples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21981127@N02/2158314450/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21981127@N02/2157517525/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21981127@N02/2157486791/

R0013926_7_8.jpg

f/2.5, ISO80, 4 sec, handheld.
The room is lit by a 15W filament bulb, its really dark.
This is my first time doing this manual mode .... so funny how children sleeps ... looks so peaceful ... her butt is actually pushing upwards!

Lovely, always wanted to take pictures like that!!!
Haiz .... same camera but so different result.
RESPECK!

just picked up the LC1 lens cap for my gx100 today. love it! no more wondering whether to put the cap back on or leave it off.. :)

How much is the LC-1 lens cap and TC-1 Telephoto lens?
Thanks.
Will be leaving to Japan this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.