Any Ricoh GX100 user out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man...i really how is this compare to the Leica compact. They are similar in price but the performance which one is better ?

R0011105.JPG

good enuf for u? captured it yesterday morning - i called it my 'in between light and darkness'. ;)

My Panasonic FL28 works beautifully with the GX100.

Err fellow GX100 users, any recommendations for a Flash unit?

generally any flash with auto mode will work with the GX100.

there's a likelihood of multiple pin flashes (those dedicated type for nikon, canon etc) may short your hotshoe if they touch accidentally so take care when you are attaching those type of flashes.

maybe get a cheap and small flash with bounce capability to use like sunpak.

i am using a nikon sb22s which weights more than the camera. :bsmilie:

Hi everyone,

my compact cam (Canon A70) that I use when not shooting with my DSLR broke down after many years of good service and I was in the market for a nice little PnS (most likely the Fuju Z5FD for its smallness and superCCD sensor) but then I came across the GX100 and now I'm confused! (in a good way :D) Tried the camera out and it feels well made. I have two questions for the current users though hope u guys can help:

1. While in the store I noticed that the focusing tends to hunt a little, is this normal, and if it take a little longer, is the AF focusing above average in accuracy compared to other models?

2. Could anyone share some portraits or 50mm shots taken with this camera? The wide angles are really very nice but 50mm is my favourite range and I'd like to be able to shoot some decent indoors portaits with natural light with the GX

Cham.. this is why I must not log into CS often.. sure tio poison by new toys : P

I've just bought the Nikon SB400 but the Ricoh is unable to trigger it.

The Ricoh is able to trigger the SB600 flash.

I've just bought the Nikon SB400 but the Ricoh is unable to trigger it.

The Ricoh is able to trigger the SB600 flash.

the SB400 is fully auto and can only be triggered with nikon DSLRs. the SB600/800 have auto mode which is usable with any brand cameras except IIRC minolta due to the polarity is reversed on their hotshoe. dunno if the current sony's (which took over minolta) reversed back the hotshoe to industry standard.

Thanks for the information.

I think that I read it here in Clubsnap that the SB400 works with the Ricoh.:confused:

the SB400 is fully auto and can only be triggered with nikon DSLRs. the SB600/800 have auto mode which is usable with any brand cameras except IIRC minolta due to the polarity is reversed on their hotshoe. dunno if the current sony's (which took over minolta) reversed back the hotshoe to industry standard.

using a 580EX II on this little monster. yes it's working fine, but it's kinda dumb to have such a small camera with such a big flash. hahahaha

and the 24mm blows anything else away! just that the ISO performance is kinda bad considering that i'm a canon user and had been spoilt with good ISO =)

Buy my Panasonic FL28, guaranteed to work beautifully with the GX100, even at 24mm. I have got 2 of these, so selling one.

Hi GX100 fans,

I have just found out about this GX 100 cam. Can someone advise me what is a good deal for this camera package and where to get? Please give me the address and contact number...Thank you so much.

I have called Cathay and the quoted me with the following:
Camera with the viewfinder - 860
Lens adaptor - 65
lens - 135
No memory card
Total 1060 from Cathay.

Is the price good?

Hi GX100 fans,

I have just found out about this GX 100 cam. Can someone advise me what is a good deal for this camera package and where to get? Please give me the address and contact number...Thank you so much.

Lens adaptor - 65
lens - 135
No memory card
Total 1060 from Cathay.

Is the price good?

If i remember correctly, i got mine 999 from MS Color (just few weeks ago), and it come with 2GB memory as well. MS Color is at AMK Hub.

Hi GX100 fans,

Lens adaptor - 65
lens - 135
No memory card
Total 1060 from Cathay.

Is the price good?
You can try TK Foto too
Ask for James, 62928167

We can help you better if you can direct more specifically your idea on the area of performance of the two brand. You have to name the specific Leica compact vs Ricoh GX100.

Performance in:
1. Lens quality
2. Zoom range of lens
3. Largest Aperture available on lens (lens speed)
4. IS0 range and noise level
5. Ultra wideangle availability
6. Viewfinder for low ground level photography
7. Closest macro focusing ability
8. Size and weight of the camera
9. Battery life and screen size

Once you have the answer, you will be more ready to jump onboard using this little black magic devel.

:):heart:

Let me try to see if that can help to answer noidea...
I have both DLUX3 and GX100, i didn't perform any detail comparison but the following is what i observed:

1. Lens quality
- Not really huge difference, as long as the eyes can tell (I didn't performed any comparison in 100% on the sharpness)

2. Zoom range of lens
- GX100 start with 24mm, DLUX3 start with 28mm (only available if use 16:9 mode, but i use 16:9 all the times)

3. Largest Aperture available on lens (lens speed)
- No major differences, GX100 is slicely larger (2.4)

4. IS0 range and noise level
- Normally i tried to use up to ISO 400 for compact camera, NR in D-LUX3 is more aggresive causing some lost of details.

5. Ultra wideangle availability
- With GX100, there is an option to put on the 19mm wide angle, while on DLUX3, there aren't any options. In DLUX3 you also can't put on filter since there aren't any adaptor for it.

6. Viewfinder for low ground level photography
- GX100 come with a EVF, which helps in talking photo under bright sun, or if you want to take photo from low ground level. In DLUX3, there are any viewfinder.

7. Closest macro focusing ability
- GX100 can focus closer.

8. Size and weight of the camera
- About the same.

9. Battery life and screen size
- Battery life about the same, but on GX100 you can use AAA battery, while on DLUX3, you can't. Both camera use same battery. Screen wise, the DLUX3 has a better screen, brighther and more colourful, and is a wide screen to accomodate the 16:9 mode.

For me,

the DLUX3 is good if you want 16:9 mode, and the photo is more saturated.

the GX100 is easier to make adjustment, thanks to the dial and level (DLUX3 use joystick which result in more steps), can add on filters, and well, i have to say i like the neck strip (purchase seperately).

...Lastly, i like both the camera.

Hope that helps!

Just curious, may I know where is the camera produced? China or Japan?

Thanks Jocs for the info....

Anyone know how much does an infra filter cost? I wanna try infra photography...

Just curious, may I know where is the camera produced? China or Japan?

Thanks Jocs for the info....

Anyone know how much does an infra filter cost? I wanna try infra photography...

IR filter price list is here: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=223587
You'll need the adapter which has a 43mm thread.
Best to have a step-up ring 43 - 52mm. The 52mm R72 filter is around $30-$40 range. Better to call up the shops to ask.

Thanks to this thread, I bought a 2 weeks old GX100 VF kit from this forum.
The pics are fantastic compared to my Canon A620 and Nikon D40 kit.
The camera is so fun to use and the pics are very sharp, sorry, I no pro lah.
The B&W pics are fantastic! Even my wife loves them!

Time to generate some activity here... :D

May I know what step-up adapters do you all use? to 49mm? 52mm? Which has more variety of filters to play around with?

52mm as it's a more common size and usually have ready stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.