Any Panasonic HMC-150/151e user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mactreouser

Sep 22, 2007
Hi,

If i'm not wrong, HMC-151e will be the version in Pal system's country.

Do anyone owned the HMC-151e?Need some comments here...

Will you recommend it for a Production House~Concert Shooting, Interviewing, indoor and outdoor as well...

the camera and its imaging sensors is not an issue for your applications, but I believe that it is the recording format that may pose some problems.

Most editing systems doesn't take in AVCHD format natively, so you'll be required to transcode your footage to a working format. Based on a typical 2.33ghz core2duo processor, you may be looking at 0.75x realtime for your transfer. (ie. if your AVCHD footage is 1 hour in duration, converting the AVCHD footage may take up to 45mins.)

My personal opinion is that AVCHD format is terrible with handling fast motion subjects.
If you don't have a problem with that, it is otherwise a very good & convenient camera for basic media production, but definitely not a broadcast grade video equipment.

It s GREAT camera. good in low light. check out on youtube, there's a lot of good video try out using HMC 150/151/152.
Cheers!

AVCHD still not good to edit. I have try Premiere cs4 :nono:

Hi Mactreouser,

I am a new owner of an HMC-152. It's the PAL version of the HMC-150.

I did quite a number of test shots indoors, outdoors, interviews and if you classify kids running around at the playground as sports footage, then I shot some sports too ;)

The Three 1/3 inch CCDs allow the camera to capture good night shots.

In my opinion, this camera is like tapeless version of the DVX100. If you used DVX100 before then you know the quality I'm talking about.

My only concern is that not many NLEs can edit AVCHD. I used a software called VideoPier HD to convert the AVCHD footage into Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) before I can edit them in iMovie HD or FCP 5.0. The conversion time is about 1 : 1

I think iMovie 08/09 and FCP 6 can import and edit them directly. I haven't tried it, so I can't comment much on them.

You can find an HMC150 community at www.dvxuser.com

They have much more experience with the camera than I do. You can draw from the experiences. Good Luck !! :)

Sincerely,
Azman

Agree about AVCHD. For any serious editing, it is best to convert to a different codec first, like Canopus or Mainconcept.

My only concern is that not many NLEs can edit AVCHD. I used a software called VideoPier HD to convert the AVCHD footage into Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) before I can edit them in iMovie HD or FCP 5.0. The conversion time is about 1 : 1

I think iMovie 08/09 and FCP 6 can import and edit them directly. I haven't tried it, so I can't comment much on them.

FCP6 does a transcode to it's preferred Apple ProRES codec as well.

Video quality is always subjective to the individuals. Just like some audiophiles may claim HDCD sounds better than SACD.....whereas at the other end of the scale, people can accept 128bit MP3 compression.......

Another analogy is that some people may claim that they need a 20megapixel still camera to take a technically good picture, but some people are just satisfied with their 6megapixel JPEG compressed image. It all depends on your application and requirements. :thumbsup:

Thanks all...

i forgot that i did a thread about 152...haaaa...

do any update experiences from you guys?

What's the price running out there?

hi all,

i'm from malaysia and panasonic malaysia will not bring in the HMC150, at least not this year.

if i were to purchase this model, which shop would be the best to go to. whats the current price in singapore?

thanks.

hi all,

i'm from malaysia and panasonic malaysia will not bring in the HMC150, at least not this year.

if i were to purchase this model, which shop would be the best to go to. whats the current price in singapore?

thanks.

Hi Razlan

I bought mine at Sensys Singapore http://www.sensys.com.sg/ContactUs.asp

The package include:

A Panasonic AG-HMC152 Video Camera including whatever comes default with it like the original battery, original charger, remote control, instruction manual etc.

Freebies

02 Panasonic 16 GB SDHC Card
01 VW-VBG6 high capacity battery
01 Kata CC-192 bag

Currently, the camera is priced at S$5,900 (RM14,000) before Goods & Service Tax of 7%. However, you can get a tax rebate at the airport if you leave Singapore via flight.

Cheerio !!
Azman

Saw your post in filmalley .. but you mention here S$5,900, in filmalley you stated you bought it at S$4,800 ? so much different now ?

Last edited:
Hi Gneseew,

I apologise if I cause any misunderstanding :)

I purchased the camera in November 08. At that time, it costs S$4800 before GST. Earlier this year, there was a price increase and this occured globally. Forumers brought it up in dvxuser and dvxinfo forums. They were not happy about it, to say the least.

Last Tuesday, I bought another large capacity battery for the HMC152 from Sensys. According to Eddy, the sales engineer, Panasonic is going to reduce the price for the new batch of HMC152.

However, he did not mention by how much though.

Cheerio !!
Azman

nope.. no problem .
at least now we know there's a huge jump in the prices..

Wasn't keen to buy it when it was at S$4,800 last time .. now starting doing some readings ..and reviews on it.
Hopefully Sensys will get a better price .. before I pull the trigger..

Heard many reporting about the audio problem in the camera. .. Do you face any of those ?

I used it for a wedding shoot last month. I did not encounter any audio problems.

I used a shotgun mic and a wireless system for my audio during the ceremony. For the reception, I used the shotgun on 1 channel and the camera in-built mic on the other.

I only encounter some initial difficulty in adjusting the volume due to the knobs' location on the camera.

Other than that, the audio was fine.

Issues on the audio on DVXuser forum already stretching until 17 pages long http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=165151&page=16.

Most of them are using the HMC 150 version. Wanna hear if there are other HMC users over here who has ever encountered this problem .. i believe mactreouser also has this camera now.. maybe some comments from you .

I'm currently a DVX 102 user. As about the problems of audio cracks and pops.. I do have lots of bad experience.. Just don't really know where the problem comes from. I shoot mostly weddings. and in chinese weddings u will get games where the groomsmen shouts and sing loudly. And I will get these pops and crackles whenever they shout. My basic setting on DVX :

- Internal mic
- External XLR Rode NTG-1 mic
- ALC ON.
- Sound level on 2 channels at 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock respectively.

The weird thing is .. the crackles happen even at those levels registered .. not in the red lines.. meaning it's well below -6db.

Many times there's no answer for my problem. suspecting :
1. Sound Pressure Level (SPL) too high. Should use different kind of mics
2. DVX machine's Pre amp problem ?
3. ALC ON not functioning. ?

now I learned a lot on correcting this kind of problem in Audio Post. .. Wasted a lot of time also in this. Happens in all the videos I shoot.. Don't have experience on other cameras before.

Erm.. this suppose to be a post on HMC .. sorry .since I'm going to make the plunge into HMC .. would like to know too .. if the same problem might happen. or .. most importantly is that a machine problem or a user problem . Would like to hear from those experience.. also .. is this happening on other brand machines..

PLEASE help me..:sweat:

How about getting an audio mixer and turning the knob to -20db?

Last edited:
How about getting an audio mixer and turning the knob to -20db?

It's getting troublesome to get audio mixer.. for my conditions.. mostly run and gun ..only .

wonder if users of other brands cameras facing the same problem as I do ??

Issues on the audio on DVXuser forum already stretching until 17 pages long http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=165151&page=16.

Most of them are using the HMC 150 version. Wanna hear if there are other HMC users over here who has ever encountered this problem .. i believe mactreouser also has this camera now.. maybe some comments from you .

I'm currently a DVX 102 user. As about the problems of audio cracks and pops.. I do have lots of bad experience.. Just don't really know where the problem comes from. I shoot mostly weddings. and in chinese weddings u will get games where the groomsmen shouts and sing loudly. And I will get these pops and crackles whenever they shout. My basic setting on DVX :

- Internal mic
- External XLR Rode NTG-1 mic
- ALC ON.
- Sound level on 2 channels at 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock respectively.

The weird thing is .. the crackles happen even at those levels registered .. not in the red lines.. meaning it's well below -6db.

Many times there's no answer for my problem. suspecting :
1. Sound Pressure Level (SPL) too high. Should use different kind of mics
2. DVX machine's Pre amp problem ?
3. ALC ON not functioning. ?

PLEASE help me..:sweat:

This is usually caused by the mic output level being too high for the preamp and so the preamp gets overloaded. The signal metering is after the preamp so you might not see any really high levels indicated on the meters.

The normal solution is to put a pad (attenuator) between the mic and the camera. Or if the camera has a built-in ATT switch, use that.

This is usually caused by the mic output level being too high for the preamp and so the preamp gets overloaded. The signal metering is after the preamp so you might not see any really high levels indicated on the meters.

The normal solution is to put a pad (attenuator) between the mic and the camera. Or if the camera has a built-in ATT switch, use that.

I found a switch on my RODE NTG-1 mic... the symbol showing a flat line and an angled line.. is that the ATT switch ??

How much does the Pad costs ? any brands to buy ? or recommendations ?

Does this problem happens on all cameras too or.. is it more prone to this DVX camera ? or even Panasonic Cameras .. heard a lot of complaints for the HMC 152.

Status
Not open for further replies.