Any kids photography courses for 8 yr olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almone

Nov 17, 2007
My son is 8 and interested in playing around w a camera, any courses for kids their age to attend?

this is fresh...

8 will be primary 2.

Some primary schools have photography clubs. That you have to check with your son's school if they offer it. I don't think its viable for any commercial entity to conduct photography courses for kids, unless there is a substantial amount of kids interested.

Sadly, his school does not have it. Let me know if anyone hear of it. Thanks.

I assume he is interested in digital photograhpy. Buy him a simple book on digital photgraphy and just let him "expirement" with your (or his) camera. U ver ver lucky when my son got interested we were still mostly using film..... u know how much $$$$$ i spent on film, dev and printing???? - His mum till this day still can't understand why I let him play with my $1,800 digi cams.... women..... better then damaging my FM2, or my Yashica T*???:dunno:

Let him play with a P&S cam first.Kids are prone to destroying equipment:bsmilie:

that would be my errrr... his K750....but his mum took the 1GB MS, poor kid...so they (yeah I have a few) now playing with my K800:sticktong

that would be my errrr... his K750....but his mum took the 1GB MS, poor kid...so they (yeah I have a few) are now playing with my K800:sticktong

:bsmilie: Maybe just buy him a book like Gombat said. And maybe a P&S camera.

Kids interests dies quite quickly. ;p Unless you want to nurture him to be future photographer.

this is fresh...

8 will be primary 2.

Some primary schools have photography clubs. That you have to check with your son's school if they offer it. I don't think its viable for any commercial entity to conduct photography courses for kids, unless there is a substantial amount of kids interested.

if i am not wrong btw, only pri 3 or 4 upwards get to join a cca

Just bring him along and teach him lor. My 4yr old and 7yr old sons each have their own camera. a FZ50 and 40D respectively. I just let them use P mode 1st to let them learn handling and composition. if shooting something stationary I sometimes set the settings for them to other modes. They just starts so cant expect much but sometime they can surprise you with better shots than what you have..

I know 'mrwatami' (Clubsnap nickname) conducts digital photography courses for kids. You can PM her for course schedule, syllabus and location.

She teaches them in small groups.

CCA is "compulsory" from P3 onwards. Some schools encourage participation from P1 there are others who do not.

If your kids like to learn and take pixs, take the opportunity to spend time with them. Best of all u get to do things that you like with them. :)

I'm sorry I can't point you to a course or school, but I'll offer a few thoughts and tips: the key to working with kids and girlfriends/wives is to KEEP IT FUN - ALWAYS! *

They're not diehard photogs (unless they turn into one), so basically they might not appreciate the technicalities or equipment wizadry - to them, it's only good if they have less buttons to press, make less decisions and the pictures come out great. I do not say this degoratorily.

What DeSwitch does sounds like a good approach - help them with settings and technicalities and get them going. Tell them a bit about composition, but only if they want to know, and how to zoom the lens and fire the shutter without shaking the camera too much.

It might help if you try to get them interested in subjects that are generally easier to shoot well, and always rememb - never be harsh in your critisism. In fact, you shouldn't criticise at all, even if they get hardcore. You want to nuture a love, not run a military.

Praise the effort even if the photo is crap, but of course don't say that the photo is brilliant. Ask them what they like or don't like about it, and accept what they say as gospel truth.

If they ask questions, answer as simply as possible. Challenge yourself - answer all questions in not more than 2 or 3 sentences and still offer a solution. If you need more than 5 minutes to explain something clearly, you're probably taking too long. If they don't ask, don't intrude.

No offense, but as photogs ourselves, we tend to get caught up in all the tech bits and our enthusiasm to share may overwhelm and turn them off from photography altogether.

This should keep them busy till the next stage, and they will let you know when they are ready, or want to get to that stage.

CHEERS!

* A great photog game to play with kids younger than 12 (or so) is once they get the hang of taking a picture is 'SHOOT Daddy and make him look as FUNNY as possible' where you mug for your kid and make it an absolute fun and bonding experience! Of course, you get to choose an ideal location with ideal light that would offer a high probability of at least correctly exposed pictures. 'P' and 'A' and high or 'AUTO' ISO settings are your best friends.

This can then go on to shoot your mummy, brother/sister friend uncle unty and so on. All the while, they're actually getting some portrait practrice without it seeming like hard work, and more importantly, they were having FUN!

if i am not wrong btw, only pri 3 or 4 upwards get to join a cca

tis year 8, next year 9 mah, hence P3 already...

anyway, probably nice to have the dad do the nurturing, build bond with their own kids, bring them to punggol to shoot sunrise, to the zoo to shoot animals.

like someone say, shoot with P mode, then go home, put everything into the PC, then everyone sit infront of the monitor to see which picture is nice...

maybe i have a kid of my own, maybe i can organise a kids outing... lol... or a clubsnap family day.

since its holiday season, perhaps maybe some of u might wanna really start a thread to get parents and kids together for a photography outing. If need be, probably can get a few experienced photographers to act like a mentor around... need those really patient and dun show off their superb calculation skills... hehe... just play around with composition etc... dun have to be technically correct, just get a feel only.

Well, i'll be at a children camp on Dec 14-16, and most likely able to do on a sunday only.

Place could be bird park, zoo, botanic garden... can learn taking insects, etc... depends what does the kids like... just 1/2 day event... else can die of hyperactivity... lol...

Hopefully a P&S outing. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.