Any experiences with Tian-ya filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaBuzzed

May 27, 2008
I'm just getting into the practice of using filters for landscapes and considering trying out the Tianya equipment as it is rather cheap. Any of you have experience with using their wide filter holder and some of the GND / ND filters? Any shops here stock them where I can go 'check' the goods before buying as opposed to MO?

I'll be using it on a Canon 10-22.

<BUMP>

Anyone using filters?

Search for 'tian ya' and you'll get a lot of threads.
For 10-22 you'll need the wide angle holder, otherwise you'll get vignetting. Filters are ok. If it's too cheap for you just use Cokin, Lee or Singh Ray in the same holder :)

cheap and usable, if u dun wish to splurge on cokin filters (btw, the tianya filter holder can hold cokin too, IIRC).

but, they scratch a little to easily. i changed mine late last year to screw-in filters instead.

Thanks Octarine and nightwolf75 for your inputs! :cool:

i changed mine late last year to screw-in filters instead.

I was thinking of these too initially but I didn't see how you can manage the transition point for a GND or a reverse GND with a screw in filter. Am I missing something or is it possible with some technique? This was the main reason I started research on filters in holders!

I was thinking of these too initially but I didn't see how you can manage the transition point for a GND or a reverse GND with a screw in filter. Am I missing something or is it possible with some technique? This was the main reason I started research on filters in holders!

basically you just turn turn and turn into your lens or filter (if you have one attached). it's exactly the same on how you attach a round filter to your lens.

basically you just turn turn and turn into your lens or filter (if you have one attached). it's exactly the same on how you attach a round filter to your lens.

If you dun understand TS question, dun just blindly answer! :nono:

How can just turn turn and turn to adjust the transition point of GND?

cheap and usable, if u dun wish to splurge on cokin filters (btw, the tianya filter holder can hold cokin too, IIRC).

but, they scratch a little to easily. i changed mine late last year to screw-in filters instead.

Hi, sorry i'm rather new to photography have no experience with filters. what screw in filter brand are you using, and where to get??

sorry, wasn't intentional. i misread. sorry.

He is partially correct.

You can tilt the horizon to your liking by turning the filter holder, and thus somewhat like turning your normal threaded filters as you would with a polariser. This also means that you can do "reverse" GND.
However, if you want to adjust the transition point, you just need to partially shift the filter in and out of the bracket holder.

But for me, I didn't buy the holder; I just handheld the filters. Quite clumsy at times.

I hope to have clear all the doubts.

Last edited:
He is partially correct.

You can tilt the horizon to your liking by turning the filter holder, and thus somewhat like turning your normal threaded filters as you would with a polariser. This also means that you can do "reverse" GND.
However, if you want to adjust the transition point, you just need to partially shift the filter in and out of the bracket holder.

But for me, I didn't buy the holder; I just handheld the filters. Quite clumsy at times.

I hope to have clear all the doubts.

Read the whole thread! make yourself understand what is the question and what is the answer

TS last question is refering to screw in type not the one with holder :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Read the whole thread! make yourself understand what is the question and what is the answer

TS last question is refering to screw in type not the one with holder :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

:sweatsm: :bsmilie:
yah man....

TS - Screw in type can only tilt horizon. You cannot shift the transition point.

:sweatsm: :bsmilie:
yah man....

TS - Screw in type can only tilt horizon. You cannot shift the transition point.

Thanks guys. I'll be going in for these filters then. Probably pick up wide angle holder, GND, Reverse GND and a CPL.

..and maybe I'll invest in a screw in CPL somewhere down the line (they are pretty ex at $200+) since using the filter holder could get a tad inconvenient while travelling.

Thanks guys. I'll be going in for these filters then. Probably pick up wide angle holder, GND, Reverse GND and a CPL.

..and maybe I'll invest in a screw in CPL somewhere down the line (they are pretty ex at $200+) since using the filter holder could get a tad inconvenient while travelling.

Let me know where you find Reverse GND from Tian Ya :)

Hi, sorry i'm rather new to photography have no experience with filters. what screw in filter brand are you using, and where to get??

got it from ebay actually. u can search for a seller named fotodiox_gear. i actually wanted to buy from CP. but, they told me i have to pre-order and wait for 6mths... if i'm lucky. told them thank you very much and ordered from ebay. took them 1 wk to deliver. ;p

Thanks Octarine and nightwolf75 for your inputs! :cool:

yep. u cannot manage the transition point. you can only vary the angle of transition by turning the filter, once you got your lens focused. a real pain in the posterior, if you are used to using drop-in filters. not a biggie for me cos i tend to use my GND/G-coloured filters in the 180-deg orientation for landscapes anyway.

Please enlighten me what is reverse GND? I thought u just slot in upside down will do?

Threaded CPL you buying wat size and brand?
My 72mm Kenko CPL is only $100. It is Pro 1 Digital grade.

Please enlighten me what is reverse GND? I thought u just slot in upside down will do?

Threaded CPL you buying wat size and brand?
My 72mm Kenko CPL is only $100. It is Pro 1 Digital grade.

Reverse GND has the highest density in the middle of the filter and then 'graduates' out towards the edges equally. Basically a dark part is down the middle opposed to the top edge.

The screw in CPL I'm considering is a B+W Slim 77mm for a 10-22mm

A reverse grad is one in which the transition zone is the darkest, instead of getting a darker gradient as you progress to the top in the case of a GND

RevGrad.jpg

Here is a pic taken from singh ray filters

I find them pretty useful for sunrise / sunset as they nicely block the area that is the brightest instead of having the skies darkening much more at the periphery. Otherwise it is more niched than a GND

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.