Anti Malaria Drug- Cambodia Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowblue

Jan 20, 2007
hi all

I am going on a trip to cambodia next week, and i am taking precaution against malaria.

today I got from pharmacy for mefloquine (mephaquin) after telling the pharmacist that I want antimalaria drug. I looked up at CDC website today
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationCambodia.aspx

===================
Drugs to Prevent Malaria (Antimalarial drugs)

If you will be visiting a malaria risk area in Cambodia, you will need to take one of the following antimalarial drugs: Only atovaquone/proguanil or doxycycline in the provinces of Preah Vihear, Siemreap, Oddar, Meanchey, Banteay Meanchey, Battambang, Pailin, Koh Kong, and Pursat bordering Thailand. All other areas: atovaquone/proguanil, doxycycline or mefloquine (primaquine in special circumstances and only after G6PD testing) (see map).

Note: Chloroquine is NOT an effective antimalarial drug in Cambodia and should not be taken to prevent malaria in this region.

Malaria risk area in Cambodia: Risk throughout the country, including risk in the temple complex at Angkor Wat. No risk in Phnom Penh and around Lake Tonle Sap.
===================================

I went to my local clinic for "atovaquone/proguanil or doxycycline "..but they dun have. i guess i might have to go to pharmacy again for either of these two tomorow.

So my question is has anyone has experience in regards to taking precautions while going on a trip to malaria-ridden areas? Thanks!

for south-east asia, meflo-quine is a popular prophylactic that is often found as "lariam" by roche.

choloroquine is not tolerated G6PDs, so check if you have G6PD before taking any of these anti-malarial drugs which can be quite oxidative, resulting in hemolysis

use good insect repellents, (those spray-can sorta "off" doesnt seem to work that well in the tropics though", had once tried a lemon grass sort of repellent, not too bad.

and never bite into a mefloquine tablet, unless you want to lose your appetite for a day :p

for south-east asia, meflo-quine is a popular prophylactic that is often found as "lariam" by roche.

choloroquine is not tolerated G6PDs, so check if you have G6PD before taking any of these anti-malarial drugs which can be quite oxidative, resulting in hemolysis

use good insect repellents, (those spray-can sorta "off" doesnt seem to work that well in the tropics though", had once tried a lemon grass sort of repellent, not too bad.

and never bite into a mefloquine tablet, unless you want to lose your appetite for a day :p

Guess i have to check out the pharmacy for another medication, since the malaria is resitant to mefloquine in cambodia.

I did bite into the the mefloquine.....i didn't lose my appetite...surprisingly :bsmilie:, had a biscuit right after the bite, and dinner one hour later...

popular doesnt mean that its the right drug to use.

TS is right. doxycycline is drug of choice. Its a common drug, most GPs have them. Dont bother going to pharmacy without prescription.

Doxy is troublesome cause you need to take daily. Drink more water while taking it and stay upright after swollowing it. ie: dont go back to sleep immediately after taking the pill

thnx reactan,

i will have to look for my doctor to give me prescription.

also be aware of the side effects from taking anti malaria tablets.
moreover, for those blood donors.. if u go down to HSA, they will let u donate but
will quarantine ur blood for 3 yrs! and blood palete can't be use.

Status
Not open for further replies.