another scam in B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
pls re-read the sale thread carefully - > Price (S$): 750$ , price in SINGAPORE DOLLARS.

true, some people just refer to a generic term like "memory card". however, a memory stick is a very specific type of recording media that is not related to Nikon digital cameras. I've not come across any other Nikon DSLR user in Singapore who mentions or uses Memory Sticks, maybe Nikon DSLR users in the USA are a different breed?

;p

oh sorry, i couldn't find where it said SGD.

in any case, i strongly suspect the seller is from the US, and that's how they refer to memory cards in general, especially the non-geeky/techy moms & dads who just bought a camera. just different figures of speech - that sort of thing. we only make the distinction because we know exactly what we are talking about.

but you may think differently. anyways its already been deleted, so that's that i guess. haha

oh sorry, i couldn't find where it said SGD.

Price (S$): 750$

in any case, i strongly suspect the seller is from the US, and that's how they refer to memory cards in general, especially the non-geeky/techy moms & dads who just bought a camera. just different figures of speech - that sort of thing. we only make the distinction because we know exactly what we are talking about.

but you may think differently. anyways its already been deleted, so that's that i guess. haha

i suspect ppl would say "memory card" to refer to memory cards in general, and "memory stick" to refer to well, memory sticks! in fact, most DSLR owners, in sg as well as the US, are savvy enough not only to know what type of memory media they are using, but the brand, class and speed of the memory media as well.

anyway, potential buyers have already been warned, so yeah, it's cool. :)

oops.....my bad.....just found that memory sticks have migrated to Canon DSLRs as well....

Helsey WTSell: DSLR - Canon 450D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement Category: Want To Sell (WTS)

Equipment Type: DSLR
Equipment Brand: Canon
Equipment Model: 450D
Price (S$): Offer me.
Description:
- Camera itself
- Lens (17-85mm?)
- CD
- Charger
- Battery
- 4 GB Memory Stick
- Instruction Manual

Used 5 times.
Shutter count: IMG_1609 (do the math)

Contact Number: 91717887

Condition of Item (as per guidelines): 9
Warranty Status: Over

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mebbe it wasn't a scam after all???!!!!

:sweat:

So is this scam about the price or the memory stick? :dunno:

for the benefit of newbies.....

Memory Stick is a removable flash memory card format, launched by Sony in October 1998, and is also used in general to describe the whole family of Memory Sticks. In addition to the original Memory Stick, this family includes the Memory Stick PRO, a revision that allows greater maximum storage capacity and faster file transfer speeds; Memory Stick Duo, a small-form-factor version of the Memory Stick (including the PRO Duo); and the even smaller Memory Stick Micro (M2). In December 2006 Sony added the Memory Stick PRO-HG, a high speed variant of the PRO to be used in high definition still and video cameras.

scam or not scam..i dun think anyone(since most CSers are residing in Singapore) would want to deal with someone staying in San Diego..
Unless return tickets included. ;p:bsmilie:

So is this scam about the price or the memory stick? :dunno:

the price sounded too good to be true, but dealing with overseas sellers always involves a lot of risk, and there have been scams involving overseas sellers in the past. the reference to memory sticks further suggests that the seller may not even have an actual Nikon DSLR for sale, since he did not know the basic information of what memory media his camera uses.
so, IMHO, it was most likely a scam.

however, as antacid pointed out, some DSLR owners may actually refer to memory stick as a generic term to describe the memory card used by the DSLRs, regardless of brand. and judging by some other recent posts in B&S (e.g. the canon 450d post), this may well be the current trend.

so, let the buyer still beware, and do all the necessary checks to make sure you are getting what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.