Another, "How much should I quote" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS-Rubin

Nov 22, 2007
East Coast, Singapore
Hey guys, I know it gets old but I need some advice with this.

I've got a client who wants a few (5-10) photographs of their flagship store in Singapore.
They want all rights to the photographs for use with Press-Releases and their Website.

I really have no clue where to start with drawing out a quotation.

The past two years has seen me doing event coverages and model portfolios, this would be my break in this niche of the trade.

Any form of advice appreciated here.

Its going to depend on how much they can afford, but I would say charge per image $300 for 5 ($1500), $200 for 10 ($2000). If the company is bigger and distribution is going to be bigger, keep upping the price and also, if your very good, then you could probably charge more too. Thats just a baseline to work off.

Great!

You guys gave me a rough idea.

I'm gonna stick to the bare minimum of those rates since this would be my virgin attempt at an assignment of this nature.

Cheers!

Great!

You guys gave me a rough idea.

I'm gonna stick to the bare minimum of those rates since this would be my virgin attempt at an assignment of this nature.

Cheers!

If you're not sure if you can do the job, then don't you will do more harm to your reputation this way.

If you believe you can do the job and give the client what they want then quote regardless of experience. Otherwise you set a precedent which is hard to change, i.e. expectation of cheap work by the client, so they won't use you next time when prices are higher, but will go to next photographer wanting a break (there are millions of these).

In other words, act professional not desperate.

Hey guys, I know it gets old but I need some advice with this.

I've got a client who wants a few (5-10) photographs of their flagship store in Singapore.
They want all rights to the photographs for use with Press-Releases and their Website.

I really have no clue where to start with drawing out a quotation.

The past two years has seen me doing event coverages and model portfolios, this would be my break in this niche of the trade.

Any form of advice appreciated here.

Hold your horses. some questions. when your client wanted "all rights", does it mean:

a. You hand over the copyright to them?

b. You still own the copyright but they are licensed to use those image for a specified period? or

c. You still owned the copyright but they are licensed to use those images indefinitely?

Option a. means you no longer have a right to use those images, even for your portfolio without their written consent, which means you have to charge more. Option b. can be a nominal fee but renewable every agreed period, for example a year. This is a great way for residual income. Option c will be a substantial amount but less than option a.

On top of that, you have to charge:

Photographers fee (i.e. your working rate, you don't work for free do you?)
Creative Fees (assuming there are no CD on set to guide you)
Transportation (it cost you to go to the client's location and should not come out of your pocket)
Assistant fees (if any, good to bring a couple of friends along to help you and pay them using this)
Film cost, handling and processing (if using film)
Post processing fee (if using digital, your work is not done after shooting and your time cost money)

This should give you an idea of what you should charge. If they have a flagship store and want good images for their corporate image, they should be willing to pay for quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.