Another discussion on "requesting for budget photography services"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aiyah because old school people can do these simple pluming jobs ourself. So that's fast n cheap. It is also the advice I give to people who ask me to do cheap photo coverage jobs. If you seriously want to only spend that much - buy some equipment and get your staff to shoot it in house. Most times after a few attempts they come back and pay my rate. Why when they see the quality that comes back even with the same equipment I use, they know as a fact it is not equipment, it is something I nurtured, trained at to have the ability and skills plus the eye for what is visual pleasing.

To the nay sayers reading this thread. It is necessary to "educate" the newer photographers who come into this that the cost of what you do and the price you charge are important even if you still have a day job. Once they realize that should they grow in skills and abilities their cheap job clients will never pay them more. If they knew that first they could have tried to start at more realistic price point and reject those who insists on a price that does not make sense. Remember the client does not care if he pays a low price the moment you screw up the **** storm is the same. In weddings clients have been know to sue in court of shoddy work, most time for the real bad photographers they lose the case and court imposes damages. So it not so easy as I charge cheap so you can not expect too much from me and if I **** up you can blow me. For the seekers of cheap vendors, yeah I know there will always be some sucker naw thats too crude let settle for uneducated person who will take your cheap job, so that you can make some bucks of the services of the poor person whom you suckered. By warning the pool of newbies what is we the professional can hope to thin down the ranks of those who will be con-vinced that yours is a great deal to start with. The industry is our rice bowl, if we do nothing some day the bowl get broken, this way at least we fight defend against exploiters who would suck us all dry. We may still lose but at least we have made the attempt.

actually, it is very simply.

just stop taking up such jobs.

let me tell you a story,
the tap and hose of my kitchen basin spoiled, I bought the parts and try to fix it myself, but it only works for a little while, and start leaking again.
in the end, I have to look for a plumber,
so I call a company two days ago, and they say the will send a plumber the next day between 12 to 3pm, OK, that is fine.
yesterday I waited till 2.30 pm, no sign of plumber, I call the company up, they say they will contact him again,
the plumber shows up at 2.45 pm, he work very fast, 10mins later he already replaced the tap and it working fine.

I paid him the labour cost, and he left before 3pm.

than suddenly I realise that he is make more money than most of us here,
he don't need 10k worth of camera gears, 5k worth of computer hardware and software, working so many hours just to make a few hundreds dollars.
not forgetting we also need constantly upgrade ourself by attending workshop, seminars, and networking.

the tools box and the tools he has won't cost more than $200 (I'm a DIY man btw),

how come there is no free and cheap plumbers?

Why you so emo over the thread? Nothing to do with you right?

The pro photographers have their reason; safe guard their interests.

What is your reason? Just curious.

If you are looking for cheap photography services, a thread like this won't save a lot of cheap photographers, so you still be able to find cheap deals. Don't worry too much ok? :)

First, if you want to have a good discussion please dont attack or accuse ok? Your accusing me of emo more likely reflect on you, why are you so emo??? I'm posting because there is too much bashing here and blowing up what I think is just a small matter. Clients need 200 services and people are bashing them in the forum.

I wonder what is the reason you post here? Why are posting? what are your motive? Are you a troll? Are you trying to make this good discussion into something you can laugh at later? I think you have some motive here, nuff said!!!

Aiyah because old school people can do these simple pluming jobs ourself. So that's fast n cheap. It is also the advice I give to people who ask me to do cheap photo coverage jobs. If you seriously want to only spend that much - buy some equipment and get your staff to shoot it in house. Most times after a few attempts they come back and pay my rate. Why when they see the quality that comes back even with the same equipment I use, they know as a fact it is not equipment, it is something I nurtured, trained at to have the ability and skills plus the eye for what is visual pleasing.

To the nay sayers reading this thread. It is necessary to "educate" the newer photographers who come into this that the cost of what you do and the price you charge are important even if you still have a day job. Once they realize that should they grow in skills and abilities their cheap job clients will never pay them more. If they knew that first they could have tried to start at more realistic price point and reject those who insists on a price that does not make sense. Remember the client does not care if he pays a low price the moment you screw up the **** storm is the same. In weddings clients have been know to sue in court of shoddy work, most time for the real bad photographers they lose the case and court imposes damages. So it not so easy as I charge cheap so you can not expect too much from me and if I **** up you can blow me. For the seekers of cheap vendors, yeah I know there will always be some sucker naw thats too crude let settle for uneducated person who will take your cheap job, so that you can make some bucks of the services of the poor person whom you suckered. By warning the pool of newbies what is we the professional can hope to thin down the ranks of those who will be con-vinced that yours is a great deal to start with. The industry is our rice bowl, if we do nothing some day the bowl get broken, this way at least we fight defend against exploiters who would suck us all dry. We may still lose but at least we have made the attempt.

Well, there is one thing that people tends to forget. We all get our experience by making mistake. I think there is enough post here on educating what pricing should be for a service. However, the thing is as human we all get our experience by making a mistake. When we all were toddler we learn to walk but fall lots of time. Keep telling people not to take cheap job is really unrealistic because in the end they will still take that job so that they can learn from the mistake.

I will bet you that most of the pro here become successful by making lots of mistakes, so why do I keep seeing forum bashing people for taking cheap job? In my opinion it is good to make mistake so we can all learn, in the end what matters is not the industry will survive or not, it is us or we can survive or not. I'll bet you all the industry will survive longer than you all, so why worried about the industry, better start worry about ourselves

Well, there is one thing that people tends to forget. We all get our experience by making mistake. I think there is enough post here on educating what pricing should be for a service. However, the thing is as human we all get our experience by making a mistake. When we all were toddler we learn to walk but fall lots of time. Keep telling people not to take cheap job is really unrealistic because in the end they will still take that job so that they can learn from the mistake.

I will bet you that most of the pro here become successful by making lots of mistakes, so why do I keep seeing forum bashing people for taking cheap job? In my opinion it is good to make mistake so we can all learn, in the end what matters is not the industry will survive or not, it is us or we can survive or not. I'll bet you all the industry will survive longer than you all, so why worried about the industry, better start worry about ourselves

After reading a lot of your post... it is kinda make sense so I am with you.

I don't like to see when we put people at spot just because they are un-inform buyer who don't understand the cost structure of a photographer. Seriously, just leave those to people who wanted some money to do what they want and certainly not looking at it as business for long term.

It is not right for photographers start name calling when people want to pay low price for a service... it reflect bad on those who start calling names.

As much as we like to continue to defend our belief, it is better to look at things more from an objective manner.

I don't think Biz thread on CS is the right medium to discuss about business aspect of photography, i think it is better channel through an association or close group discussion of like minded people. We can't change the whole scene, but we can change within small community... and hopefully these small communities end up having the same goal that is going to change the bigger picture. Until then, I will refrain myself sharing much on this thread.

Regards,

Hart

First, if you want to have a good discussion please dont attack or accuse ok? Your accusing me of emo more likely reflect on you, why are you so emo??? I'm posting because there is too much bashing here and blowing up what I think is just a small matter. Clients need 200 services and people are bashing them in the forum.

I wonder what is the reason you post here? Why are posting? what are your motive? Are you a troll? Are you trying to make this good discussion into something you can laugh at later? I think you have some motive here, nuff said!!!

Where did I accuse or attack you? If you feel I did please be assured I didn't. I will take note to be extra sensitive and tactful when addressing your posts in future. I am sorry for your stress.

A gentle reminder to keep things civil here. That applies to ALL parties.

In the meantime, God help those in the photography industry.

Since no more constructive talk in here, closing this thread.

just like to point out that when "regulating" the industry, one of the main reason is to protect the interest of the consumers, clients and general public,

Sad to see some of the consumers don't see it that way, what they do see is only their short term interests.

if you still able to remember those cases of MIA wedding day "photographers", "photographers" failed to deliver finish products, Bogus "photographers", "photographers" get drunk during events, "photographer" molesting bride.
consumers/clients won't know who are those people they hiring, don't know where they from, and there is nobody able to help them if they encounter any issue.

currently we have professional trade associations for photographers, I encourage photographers who are in the business, join these trade associations if you have not, photographers can get trainings, get certified, supports, network with professionals and vendors, etc.

this is one of the recent events available.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/exhi...al-data-protection-act-stock-image-sales.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.