Another attempt at shooting the moon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Took some pictures an hour back. The moon is almost full. Not sure if I will be able to shoot the full moon tonight as I will be working late, so got up a bit early to shoot a few photos.

Need your help.
I tried different Shutterspeeds at f/11.
f/11, 1/50 - overexposed - almost all details lost
f/11, 1/250 - underexposed
f/11, 1/125 - i am not particularly happy with this, but it was the better of the worst :cry:

I know its not easy to shoot a full moon because too much light is reflected off it. But is the best that can be achieved ?
Hoping that some of the gurus can help me.

Settings used
Shooting mode : Manual
Shutter Speed : 1/125
Aperture : f/11
ISO : 100
Focal length : 400mm
White balance : Auto

IMG_3497-resize.jpg

BTW, its a cropped image.
In terms of composing the moon, what works best ? Put it bang centre of the frame ? I know if there was another subject in the frame, that would be a different matter altogether.

Thanks everyone, in advance.

BTW, what lens are you using for the moon shots?

Hi, curious if you took the moon last night? The sky was so clear and cloudless I had to have a try:

moon-070402.jpg

100% crop, contrast-adjusted. Taken at 300mm (with my Nikon 70-300VR). f/11, 1/400s (!).

Unfortunately I think my lens is not sharp enough to catch all the details at full tele. It is also said that half or quarter moons give more stunning pictures due to shadows over craters etc.

Hey, that's a nice shot. :thumbsup:

Yeah, as I was heading home around 11ish, I couldn't help but notice the nice full moon. Too tired and lazy after that to shoot.

Yup, half or quarter moons give much more interesting results. Will try over the next week or so and post.

Cheers.

hmm your moon quite okay what.. just expose it 1 stop...
for me i shoot moons at f18

WOW!!! Its so clear! What are those white lights? Thanks for sharing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.