Announcement of Nikon D70 DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
got a heads-up from industry source...

for original press release, pls Click Here!!!

Nikon D70 Digital SLR
Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the development of the Nikon D70, a new lens-interchangeable digital SLR camera designed to deliver superb image quality and satisfying performance at a popular price users will find within reach. A new DX Zoom-Nikkor lens is being developed at the same time as a best match for the D70, and both products are scheduled to go on sale in the spring of 2004.

Development Background
Nikon forever changed the world of professional digital SLR cameras with the release of the Nikon D1 in September 1999. In constant pursuit of yet higher image quality and greater performance, the company followed with the introduction of the D1X and D1H, and then again with the release of the D2H at the end of November this year.

The range of Nikon digital SLR offerings was further expanded to reach the hands of enthusiasts and a broader audience in June 2002 when the D100 went on sale.

The size of the digital camera market has grown exponentially over these few years. This in turn has led to an increase in the number of customers expressing a desire to see Nikon release a D-SLR camera at a price setting that will better fit their personal budgets. Nikon has been advancing development of the D70 as the model perfectly suited to respond to this strong demand, aiming primarily at realizing a digital SLR camera that will win its place as the camera of choice for a wide range of users, from novices to the most serious and experienced enthusiasts.

Features
- The image sensor continues the heritage of the Nikon DX Format (providing a picture angle approx. 1.5 times the focal length of a 35mm [135] format lens).
- The Nikon D70 will inherit the Nikon F Mount, ensuring compatibility with AF Nikkor lenses already owned.
- A new DX Zoom-Nikkor lens is being developed concurrently to deliver a focal length range optimized for use as the standard zoom lens for the Nikon D70.

Wah....... :thumbsup: for Nikon.

Canon "bo cho kang" man. So slow ;(

My dream Canon lenses:

1) Canon 9.5 f2.8 USM fisheye (350 grams - RRP US$499)
2) Canon 12-24 f4 L USM wide (600 grams - RRP US$599)
3) Canon 24-135 f2.8 L IS USM standard zoom (550 grams - RRP US$899)
4) Canon 100-400 f4 L IS tele lens (900 grams - RRP US$999)

All 67mm filter, weather resistant, comes with flower hoods and a decent lens case.

:bigeyes:

But again, I'm only dreaming.

Most important : HOW MUCH ?

Will it break the 300D price barrier ? If it's even cheaper than 300D, this could signal a real price war which will benefit us !

Likely on par ;) if it's meant to curb 300D, Nikon's not going to price it too high. Maybe $1999? With a kit lens of 18-55? DROOL!

chriszzz said:
Most important : HOW MUCH ?

Will it break the 300D price barrier ? If it's even cheaper than 300D, this could signal a real price war which will benefit us !

Isn't nikon lenses/flash/accessories more $$$ than canon's? not talking about 3rd party... someone enlighten me?

offspring said:

My dream Canon lenses:

All 67mm filter, weather resistant, comes with flower hoods and a decent lens case.

Offspring meant the lens.

It's probably because of the non-standardized ff, 1.3x, 1.6x CCD,. CMOS sensors that they could not come out with Digital lens that optimise the use of fixed FLM as in the case of Nikon's 1.5x.

Just like the 4/3 system, with the crop ratio, you will optimise the center part of the lens and thereby creating smaller, lighter and cheaper lens. An f2.8 300mm in 4/3 is effectively a 600mm f2.8...imagine!!

Canon may still want to go for an affordable full frame as I can see...

AReality said:
Isn't nikon lenses/flash/accessories more $$$ than canon's? not talking about 3rd party... someone enlighten me?
Case by case basis. Really, take a look at the list price available on both Canon and Nikon Singapore.

List price of SpeedLite 550EX vs SB-800 are S$860 vs 800 for example where the SB-800 has more features (multi slave groups, etc)

Or the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM vs AF 50mm f/1.4D are 800 vs 530

offspring said:

My dream Canon lenses:

Wah really dreaming :D Take 2) for example. Sigma sells it at list price of US$1k, with aperture from 4.5-5.6, using 82mm (or 86mm, can't remember) filters. ;)

Frankly, some of your "dreams" can only work in dreamland as it seems to break certain law of physics... :bsmilie:

espn said:
Likely on par ;) if it's meant to curb 300D, Nikon's not going to price it too high. Maybe $1999? With a kit lens of 18-55? DROOL!
Rumours has it that it is around US$899 + DX kit lens.

Any speculation on which body D70 is based on? F75?

And, anyone got any medicine or concoction help suppressing excitment and the temptation to spend on yet another new, hot camera? :flame:

tangoninazero: Mai tu liao!!! BBB!!!

$999 will be about ~ $1798, street price will be $1600 maybe? Good stuff

maybe a bit more. 300D's lens kit is priced at US$999 and listed at $1999 here. expect it to be similar for the D70. But still a good price :)

anyway, in Europe, it's expected to go for 1,100 Euros.

So the only one missing is minolta!!shit!!piss!! :angry: Dun know what the people at minolta doing!! :angry:

Many (like myself) also waiting for Fujifilm's 4th Generation SuperCCD SR on DSLR, hopefully on the S3? But I suspect that they might want to wait and see if the four-third system is popular, Nikon may not want to sell them a body.

espn said:
tangoninazero: Mai tu liao!!! BBB!!!

$999 will be about ~ $1798, street price will be $1600 maybe? Good stuff

haha a true nikonian :D i have a few gripes, if i didn't gather wrongly the d70 is made exclusively for the DX lenses right?

A Nikon DX 12-24mm cost me S$1700, so i think buyers looking for a "cheap" buy should consider this fear factor.

But u know what .. Nikon's the best :devil:
Jaz

Sorry for my ignorance, i'm new to photography.. Do you mean that if D70 can only use DX lenses, those normal AF lenses cannot be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.