Analogue lens on digital SLR camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

wancwcecilia

Mar 21, 2008
I'm new to digital SLR camera..

My brother has a Tokina 20 to 35mm F2.8 lens for his analogue camera Nikon F601.

If I were to use this len on Nikon D80, does that means I have to multipy the focal length by 1.5?

Likewise if I use "AF-S VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX" on F601, I should divide the focal lenght by 1.5? Is that correct?

Thks in advance for the reply...:)

the numbers on the lens are absolute values..

whether you multiply it by the crop factor or not depends on whether you are using crop sensor or full frame sensor.. for the d80 yes you will have to multiply by 1.5 (or is that 1.6? not sure)..

Likewise if I use "AF-S VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX" on F601, I should divide the focal lenght by 1.5? Is that correct?

18-200 can use on film cam?
even if so, ur 18-200 will still be 18-200, not 12-133.

My brother has a Tokina 20 to 35mm F2.8 lens for his analogue camera Nikon F601.

If I were to use this len on Nikon D80, does that means I have to multipy the focal length by 1.5?

In the first place....why do you even need to know that since you already have the lens..just put it on the camera....make sure there is no problem using that lens with the body so that at least the basic AF works, can control the F-stops..can use Manual, Shutter priority, Aperture priofity..etc. If all of that works... why would you even want to know on paper mathematically ..what focal range it would be to use a non DX older type lens on your DSLR.??? All you need to do is simply LOOK into the viewfinder and work with whatever focal zoom length you are given.

Why do you need to know the focal length in relation to using it with your DSLR? If you are buying a new lens and want to work that out as part of your decision to buy it or not...fine as that makes sense. But you are already using one..like it or not....whatever focal length it gives you in that zoom lens will make no difference.

The focal length is absolute. It's just that the angle of view of the lens on a DSLR with a DX sized sensor, the angle of view is like that of a lens with 1.5x focal length on a film or FX DSLR.

eg, the 20-35 will have an angle of view like that of a 30-52.5 on a film/FX body. The 18-200, even though it's designated DX, it will have an angle of view like that of a 27-300 on a film/FX body.

The DX designation only tells you that the lens has an image circle enough to cover the DX sensor only. You can mount the lens on the F601 to see how much is being covered. When you zoom to 18mm, you can see that only the centre portion of the frame is useable, the periphery will be black.

The focal length is absolute. It's just that the angle of view of the lens on a DSLR with a DX sized sensor, the angle of view is like that of a lens with 1.5x focal length on a film or FX DSLR.

eg, the 20-35 will have an angle of view like that of a 30-52.5 on a film/FX body. The 18-200, even though it's designated DX, it will have an angle of view like that of a 27-300 on a film/FX body.

The DX designation only tells you that the lens has an image circle enough to cover the DX sensor only. You can mount the lens on the F601 to see how much is being covered. When you zoom to 18mm, you can see that only the centre portion of the frame is useable, the periphery will be black.

Hi lsisaxon,

I'm getting quite confused and need some advice...

You mentioned that for 18-200 which is a DX len, it will have an angle of view like that of a 27-300 on a film/FX body.(multiply by 1.5)

For the Tokina 20-35 lens which is a non-DX len (len that is used for film-based camera), shouldn't we divide by 1.5 when used on digital SLR?

Or did I got it wrong somewhere?

You mentioned that for 18-200 which is a DX len, it will have an angle of view like that of a 27-300 on a film/FX body.(multiply by 1.5)

For the Tokina 20-35 lens which is a non-DX len (len that is used for film-based camera), shouldn't we divide by 1.5 when used on digital SLR?

The focal length is a characteristics of a lens that does not change. It does not matter if it is a DX 18mm or a non DX 18mm, cause 18mm is 18mm

In this case when you use the Tokina 20-35mm you will still have to multiply by 1.5 on a cropped sensor.
( Of course if the digital SLR u talkin about is a sensor that is bigger than 35mm format, you will divide by the corresponding factor )

The DX lenses themselves present with a smaller image circle for the DX format sensors. In part you need less materials to make the lens, less heavier, ( and a with cost savings :dunno: )

And because of the smaller image circle when taken with a full frame sensor you can get vignetting since the image circle now cannot cover over the bigger sensor area.

Ryan

Hi lsisaxon,

I'm getting quite confused and need some advice...

The 18-200 when used on a DX body will have an angle of view similar to a 27-300 on a film/FX body. I would not expect anyone to use a DX lens on a film body though.

Similarly, the 20-35 when used on a DX body will have an angle of view similar to that of a 30-52.5 on a film/FX body.

If you have not used a film body before, then ignore all these. Just like for 135 format film, 50mm is normal, 35mm and below is wide, 85mm and above is tele.

For medium format, 80mm is normal, 60mm and below is wide, 120mm and above is tele.

Similarly, just remember that for DX, 35mm is normal, 24mm and below is wide, 50mm and above is tele.

And if you have a point and shoot, just look at the focal length of the lens. It may be something like 4.8mm which gives an angle of view equivalent to a 36mm on 135 format film.

( Of course if the digital SLR u talkin about is a sensor that is bigger than 35mm format, you will divide by the corresponding factor )

Then it won't make sense too because if the sensor is bigger than 135 format, the image circle of the lens won't cover the entire sensor already. Very much like a DX lens when used on a film/FX body will not be able to cover the entire frame.

18-200 can use on film cam?
even if so, ur 18-200 will still be 18-200, not 12-133.

Confirm stamp + chop CANNOT. I tried my 18-200VR on a film Nikon FE2...too my expectations, there are heavy vignetting at all four corners. The image circle of the 18-200VR is meant for DX sensors and on a film/analogue slr, the image circle will not fill the frame of a 35mm equivalent sensor/film.

Confirm stamp + chop CANNOT. I tried my 18-200VR on a film Nikon FE2...too my expectations, there are heavy vignetting at all four corners. The image circle of the 18-200VR is meant for DX sensors and on a film/analogue slr, the image circle will not fill the frame of a 35mm equivalent sensor/film.

Plus you can't control the aperture with the FE2 because it's a G lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.