An Eos 30 or F80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Gunjack
I was considering 3 cameras and the F80 and EOS 30 were in it. Though EOS 30 has more features than F80, I would still go for the F80 from the solid performance I have seen(metering system is very good), has all the features I need and proven reliability(from my friend). Either way I think you can't go wrong. But either could not accept my manual focus lens so I had no choice but to settle for another third camera in my list.

is the metering system in the F80 really that good or just slightly better than the EOS 30. i currently got a F80 but fell like changing to canon cos of the IS technology and the price (see above post). i have not tried the EOS30 but i got chance to play with the Eos50 and from my friend's pic i see no problem with over and under expose.....so which is better ????:dunno:

Since you have a F80, stick with it. You can buy 2nd hand lens if new ones are too expensive. I think this camera is good enough for photo hobbyists unless you are a professional, hehe...

Metering is one area where I noticed a significant difference in favour of F80, after having used both F80 and EOS 30. The matrix metering in F80 is excellent and I was able to see the difference in difficult lighting situations. The spot metering in F80 allows to handle contrast extremities with ease..

To me, F80 is clear winner in metering comparison.

Originally posted by gadgetguy
Should also resale value of the system. Higher end Nikon bodies fetch better prices.

Not to forget the price of the lens. Canon 'L' lenses are much more expensive than their Nikon equivalent.

Nonsense. just ask any Nikon user how much their AFS lenses cost compared to the Canon Ls.

Higher end nikon bodies fetch better prices cos high end Nikon is more expensive to begin with.

In Singapore of course.

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Nonsense. just ask any Nikon user how much their AFS lenses cost compared to the Canon Ls.

Higher end nikon bodies fetch better prices cos high end Nikon is more expensive to begin with.

In Singapore of course.

can give me example to compare the canon L and the Nikon AFS....
me :dunno:

i also heard of the exposure metering...saying f80 got a slight edge over e30..but the e30 got this eye control thingy...which i find it interesting...but im juz unsure whether which system to go for...impt thing is the lens...tt's wad i feel...

Originally posted by AqUaRiU5
i also heard of the exposure metering...saying f80 got a slight edge over e30..but the e30 got this eye control thingy...which i find it interesting...but im juz unsure whether which system to go for...impt thing is the lens...tt's wad i feel...

Ask yourself, whether the final product counts or the function features of the camera counts?

Are you a person who fancy about latest technology or someone who can live with the most basic ones - A basic camera which is good enough to take good picture (Definitely the photographer is the most important element).

And the list will go on..........;)

I own and use an F80, but it was my choice when deciding between Nikon bodies, not between Canon & Nikon.

The reason is that I started out with a Nikon FM2, and already have Nikon (or compatible) lenses. In my view Canon technology is fine (and in some areas better), but having to learn everything about Canon the way I did for Nikon (such as 'what is AIS?') is not worth it at present. I still don't know for sure what Av and Tv stand for, whereas A and S modes are very clear to me... If I lost all my kit and had to start over, it might not be Nikon. It might not even be 35mm...

You may find that you decide based on quirky reasons. For example, when comparing the Nikon F55 and the EOS 66, I found them almost identical, except for the ergonomics. I prefer the F55's thumb dial and buttons near the shutter release to the 66's finger dial and buttons to the left of the LCD, which to me is a strain to reach.

If it's eye-control for you, then maybe you have a deciding factor...

Cheers

Originally posted by xmen1977
70-200f2.8 L USM @ $1950???

:eek:

6) Canon EOS 3 @ S$1,895.00
7) Canon EOS 30 @ S$750.00
8) Canon PB-E2 @ S$540.00
9) Canon 70-200 mm f2.8L USM @ S$1,925.00
10) Canon EF 70-200 mm f2.8L IS USM @ S$3,050.00

Date : 28 Jan. 2003 / SN

Status
Not open for further replies.